Thread: Antivirus .. free ??? were ????

Default Antivirus .. free ??? were ????

Ok . i need to know if any one know of a FRee Antivrus scanr . and Wokers . i have free avg . free webroot " does do crap -_- whants me to buy to get rid of what it finds" cceaner . worker well in claeing up any mass i tend to make :P . BUT i know avg does all was find every thing :P i did a littel umm scan thing they show on tv it say FRee :P BUTSNAp.. it ant free it k=just tell u ok u got this many . Buy now we fix :P *MUmbels* ... i now got the free avast well for 3o days than i'm sol ... .. i like to know if any one els know of a free scarn that works ?? that well find it and get rid of it .. i tryed norten but me crap *** pc keeps lacking up on that :P in soo if any one KNOw of a good FRee V-scane that works plz let me know XD
    http://staronlightwing.deviantart.com/
    Hellenia hord 95869756, lv's 100.100.63 Staron hord 151402610 lv's 100.100.83 Josanna hord 2275812 lv's 100.100.87 Figes hord 126074906 lv's 57.34.00

Default Re: Antivirus .. free ??? were ????

I like this one:
    http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

Sorry by trying to read your post again I discovered you have that one but why for only 30 Days?

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Well, I use to have a program called Clamwin Free Antivirus that came with the computer. It's free, updates daily on its own, and "can" remove viruses. However.... I wouldn't recommend using that as you only line of defense. It's a manual antivirus program, meaning it won't scan on its own. So it won't stop a virus from infecting your computer. The best it can do is TRY to get rid of the problem. (has about a 50% success rate on removing your virus...... ITS FREE what you expect).
    some info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clamwin

Also, found a list of some antivirus programs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_antivirus_software

Have you tried the newest version of Norton 360 antivirus? It is what I use now, and I can say, I personally like. One of my computers was BADLY infected, so much so I decided to ditch clamwin and install norton (you can pay once, and install it on 3 different computers now.) Personally, I don't have any problems with it at all. Atleast non of those problems described by players in the past about norton not letting them play Istaira if they didn't went through the hassel of modifying the firewall. Nor does the new version insist on kicking you out of game so it can do one of its random scans. Now when it does it, it usually very "quietly" and usually when you are afk.

As for workers, I love where technology has taken us. Norton now has an easy way to connect them through the internet (which is SOOOOOOO much faster and you don't have to deal with the heavy accents). Plus they can manually take control of your computer and clean it for you, for those viruses that are ESPECIALLY bad and that the norton program itself can't get rid of completely. The only catch is, you'll need to pay an extra $99 US dollars for an expert to manually clean it. But after you pay you get 7 days to report any further problems for free (kind of like a 7 day garantee). Plus, they will also optimize your computer for speed so it will be as fast as possible in the process.

I dunno, maybe for a person who is an expert on computers, Norton doesn't do nearly enough for the amount of money it costs. But for someone like me, who has little to no knowledge, it's really really is nice to know should I ever have an urgent problem with the program itself or an extra nasty virus- there is someone a phone number/click away.
    Last edited by Xanthia; February 6th, 2010 at 08:12 PM.

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

thank you . thow i have tryed norten thow it keeps lacking up on scaning . and now it does that same wiht avast -_- and avg . i seem to ther have a bad bug for my pc juset plan off hats me " the mb my b going out . " i well look see that the link u have put : ) and see if i can get away wiht some of the links : )
    Hellenia hord 95869756, lv's 100.100.63 Staron hord 151402610 lv's 100.100.83 Josanna hord 2275812 lv's 100.100.87 Figes hord 126074906 lv's 57.34.00

Umm.. you don't have all of those installed at the same time do you? That = computers not happy.

sigh* i know some may be headbutting one or the other DX .

what i ahve now Is spybot . free avg .. free webroot . and that free 3o day avast .

dont know if cceaner . is doing well and window defander . "thinking of uninstalling the avast XP 3o free , hell if it did find any thing and it puts in in the so call . chast when that 3o day is up . "i think it lets it out XP"

Antivirus programs work best when you only have one installed and running at a time.
    I just lost the game.

I've been told in the past, that a garanteed way to get rid of any viruses that are in your computer would be to unintall the operating system and reinstall it using the CD.... though never done that so wouldn't know if that worth the trouble.

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

I've been using the Microsoft Security Essentials antiv-virus scanner. Seems to do the job. I used to have Norton, but I found that there was so much extra rubbish that came with it, plus the constant "hey, pay more money and upgrade right now!" links/spam were annoying.

Had AVG as well, but I stopped using it once they put in that "scan-ahead" url thingy. Yes, I know you can turn it off, but it is a silly function to put in anyway and I had a hissy fit over it
    Want to know more? Visit the Istaria Wiki!

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

backing up the advice about running multi antis on one system - they WILL conflict and might end up causing probs rather than solving them.

me and snake are dedicated longtime mcafee users. i dislike norton intensely and in my experience it is not as reliable as mcafee.

free is nice, i know, but this is one area where you want to get the best you can....i recommend paying for the best service you can afford (it has to at least cover your needs - so, pay extra for whatever little bells and whistles, but make sure your antis cover your internet, email [if you have it, i don't have email on my laptop so i dont need that coverage on it], etc.) with whatever provider you decide on.

if you have more than one puter on your network, it is much cheaper to get a license that covers more than one puter and everyone chip in - me and snake have a license that covers 3 puters, so we went in with my parents to get it, and it covers his main, my main, and my 'rents puter fully and only cost like $20 from us and our 'rents....

believe me, you don't want to mess around with this....peeps are getting really jerky out there, and there are viruses and trojans out now that will give you leprosy while poisoning your cat in addition to eating your hard drive from the outside in.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    backing up the advice about running multi antis on one system - they WILL conflict and might end up causing probs rather than solving them.

me and snake are dedicated longtime mcafee users. i dislike norton intensely and in my experience it is not as reliable as mcafee.

free is nice, i know, but this is one area where you want to get the best you can....i recommend paying for the best service you can afford (it has to at least cover your needs - so, pay extra for whatever little bells and whistles, but make sure your antis cover your internet, email [if you have it, i don't have email on my laptop so i dont need that coverage on it], etc.) with whatever provider you decide on.

if you have more than one puter on your network, it is much cheaper to get a license that covers more than one puter and everyone chip in - me and snake have a license that covers 3 puters, so we went in with my parents to get it, and it covers his main, my main, and my 'rents puter fully and only cost like $20 from us and our 'rents....

believe me, you don't want to mess around with this....peeps are getting really jerky out there, and there are viruses and trojans out now that will give you leprosy while poisoning your cat in addition to eating your hard drive from the outside in.....
    i know i pay for what u get yes ... but i dont whant to pay for any thing more for this pc that i PLan to replace in the next yr or soo :P dame thing like to lack up at start up and when doing any thing on it -_-

I, myself, use AVG Free.

I know some people don't seem to like it much, but honestly, I've only ever had one minor hiccup with it, when they changed from 8.5 to 9.0.

The problem was fixed by completely uninstalling and re-installing (5 minutes of work).

It is free, and it is pretty nice about NOT being in the way, and it doesn't gobble resources like Norton, and it is rated higher than McAfee on some of the tech sites I've visited.

I will also second the opinion that running multiple anti-virus programs is NOT recommended. Not only would you get conflicts, but running ONE eats up CPU and RAM resources; running two would eat even more. As a gamer, I prefer that nothing is running in the background, except for Antivirus and maybe a Firewall, depending on what type of net connection I have, and how good the router's firewall is.

Also, while on the subject of Security, I can't preach enough about Firefox+AdBlock+NoScript. I recently ran a full sweep (using Malwarebytes, Ad-Aware and AVG Free, not all at the same time mind you) and I didn't even find a single Tracking Cookie. The only item found, was by MBAM and it was a known false-positive having to do with a display setting in Windows7's registry.

I would recommend completely against going to -any- site advertised on television attempting to lure you into scanning your system on their website just so they can point out things that may not even exist on your system and expect you to pay for a "fix." This is a very reliable way to further infect yourself if you had problems to begin with and to compromise your system and your security.

I personally prefer the free version of Avira Antivir -- it has a very small memory footprint and one of the highest detection rates among free antivirus products. For a paid antivirus I recommend Kaspersky. Norton and McAfee are both from the same company and I do not recommend either as both are rather bulky and resource-intensive.

Never run more than one antivirus product at the same time. You can have more than one antivirus installed to use as backup scanners if you have only one antivirus monitoring the system at a time.

I recommend downloading Malwarebytes Antimalware and A-Squared Free to use as on-demand antimalware scanners. Spybot is also a good application.

Quote Originally Posted by Luthen View Post
    I would recommend completely against going to -any- site advertised on television attempting to lure you into scanning your system on their website just so they can point out things that may not even exist on your system and expect you to pay for a "fix." This is a very reliable way to further infect yourself if you had problems to begin with and to compromise your system and your security.
    Truth.

A lot of websites like to pop up boxes, or in-page ads that flash red and white saying "LOL YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED!"

They want you to download their software (which unloads adware) that makes a bunch of false-positives of things that aren't even there, OR, false-positive legitimate programs made by their competition that the program will remove.

One of the most (in)famous one, is called "Spyware Bot" (not to be confused with Spybot Seek and Destroy!). They know people have heard of Spybot S&D, and they may see "Spyware Bot" and confuse the two of them and wind up downloading this Piece of *beeep*.

Sorry to hear you're having problems..

I'd recommend uninstalling the lot... since it sounds like you have more than one antivirus on one system.

I use Spybot to remove spyware and run it manually every now and then. I have Spyware Blaster to block all the nasty sites that could infect your pc (bad pop-ups simply show as restricted sites and do not run) ... however you need to manually update it and reapply the protection every week or so.

Finally I use Avast antivirus free home edition... you seem to already have it, but you've ended up with a trial somehow. Just use the free one here... http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download .

Every now and then you'll need to re-register it (free again) to get a new code and keep it updating itself.

Since it's free, sometimes it misses bad email attachments ... but with these emails being so badly written I find them easy to spot and delete without sending to trash on MS Outlook. Be responsible about what sites you view, as most bad sites will get around most protection.

Many of your current problems may be due to running two anti-virus programs together. Your pc will *hate* that.

Hope this helps.

Rakku

I use Avira Antivir myself, it scancs quiet in the background and does not eat a lot of your cpu while doing that, since I have it I had not anymore any virus on my pc.

http://www.free-av.com/en/index.html

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Thread Information