Thread: **Dangit what is the progess of board bugs?

Default **Dangit what is the progess of board bugs?

the main bug that i hate the most is on the front page were it has a mind of its own when you click chatter sometimes it opens sever boards or nothing happens at all(same goes for al the buttons on home page). if you can please fix the bugs of the boards.

Default Re: **Dangit what is the progess of board bugs?

Hopefully if every thing goes well, there is an update scheduled to be released around the 15 of november. I hope that update will go smoothly and fix a lot of the issues we have

This is an estimate and not an exact date. and if there are problems will be pushed back.

So keep your fingers crossed :P

just get the time bug fixed and I'll be your friend for life :)
    Cauri BloodBane - Order
    100 DADV / 100 D C R A

glad to know that you are working on the bugs

Martal Bau

Technically they aren't since they are using another companies product (see: here) but I'm sure they have made them aware of problems we've seen.[:P]

Edit: Err I should have noted that there was a new version of the board software due out the 15th that hopefully will fix most of the problems, which is what Dangit was referring too.

Just a reminder:

phpBB is free, is at least as powerful as this software (and just as customizable), and does not have annoying bugs like this one does.

Best of all, you get the ENTIRE source code to it, so you can fix any bugs (or add any new features) that you find/want. Supposedly, so does this forum software, but if so, I have to wonder why we have to wait for an update from the original developers to get it fixed.

http://www.phpbb.com
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

*** I hope that update will go smoothly and fix a lot of the issues we have***

Where have we heard this before [:P]

Food is food, just give us something to chew on that removes DP's

While most people dont like .Net it is the format AE uses for almost everything. By having the forums in .Net format too it will make it easier to intergrate with the exisiting systems. Like the account systems for subscriber only boards or Help desks tied right into the boards.

There are a few things I would like to see done with these boards but it takes a few to get them done.

As such, Bangabeng has been busy with other things and not able to devote much time to the boards. And we are waiting to see what the new version brings before we go through the source code and fix what may already be fixed in the new version

Gotta love it when a company gets lulled down the exclusionary path to "vendor lock-in". [+o(]

Too bad it also results in "customer lock-out". [:(]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

vendor lockin?

while .net is a microsoft product it hardly "locks" you into a specific vendor.

.net is simple a methodology. Saying that you are locked in to something because you are using .net is the same as saying you are locked into something because you use Sun Java.

While some things aren't compatible with it, that doesn't make you locked in, lots of companies write .net software (and Java too)

Pillaging the land and spreading Pandemonium Amongst Chaos
    Stranyr Al-Qroni
    Knight of Creation/Sorcerer
    GuildMaster of Pirates of Pandemonium

Perhaps you didn't understand what I was referring to?

Since AE decides that it is .NET or nothing (meaning that, since they are choosing the .NET platform for everything, and nothing that isn't .NET will even be considered), they are locking themselves into a limited set of vendors, and excluding everyone else, even if there are tried-and-true, long-standing, viable products out there which are NOT .NET. Hence, lock-in.

For those that want no part of .NET as customers (same thing applies to Java), it means they will eventually be locked-out.

..and you are quite incorrect; .NET is MUCH more than a "methodology". While it is true that it is similar to Java (and look at the wonderful success that is "Java"), it is also a set of design and marketing strategies with specific intent to leverage the market any way Microsoft wants to take it, and we all know how well they play with their competition.

Oh, did I forget to mention that .NET is STILL an immature product (version 1.1 notwithstanding), and using it for hard-core production development is probably not the best idea for projects already in a lot of trouble?

I will agree that .net is still immature, but any customer in the windows environment ( and since HZ is a Windows game ) will eventually be forced into going .net (if you have installed any microsoft product released after XP was then you have teh .net framework installed anyway)

In all seriousness though choosing to do with a Single developement platform even one that isn't as mature as one would like, is better than dealing with multiple developement platforms and attempting to integrate them so work smoothly and seemlessly.

heh Sun cut it's own thought with JAVA but that is a whole other rant :)

Pillaging the land and spreading Pandemonium Amongst Chaos
    Stranyr Al-Qroni
    Knight of Creation/Sorcerer
    GuildMaster of Pirates of Pandemonium

Quote Originally Posted by Stranyr
    I will agree that .net is still immature, but any customer in the windows environment ( and since HZ is a Windows game ) will eventually be forced into going .net (if you have installed any microsoft product released after XP was then you have teh .net framework installed anyway)
    Windows 2000 is the last MS OS I will ever use. XP doesn't live on any of my equipment, and never will. I've already migrated customers, friends, and family members off of MS. So, no, not everyone will be forced into "going .net".

Quote Originally Posted by Stranyr
    In all seriousness though choosing to do with a Single developement platform even one that isn't as mature as one would like, is better than dealing with multiple developement platforms and attempting to integrate them so work smoothly and seemlessly.
    Yet it is done well every day, by many IT departments all over the world. The old "interoperability strawman" occasionally puts on a real face, but a lot of the time, the disparate development platforms are usually mature enough to have well-defined and documented interfaces so that integration is not the headache people make it out to be. In contrast, it is often the people who make the integration difficult, not the technology itself.

Point is, making well-designed mature products interoperate with one another is often LESS of a challenge than trying to find a systemic problem in a single immature one. ESPECIALLY given Microsoft's track record.

heh Sun cut it's own thought with JAVA but that is a whole other rant [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]
    Substitute "Java" for ".NET" and "Sun" for "Microsoft". What is different? Nothing.

OK, one thing is different; Microsoft has the monopolistic cojones to shove their "Java" down everyones' throat and actually have a chance at succeeding. There's only one little sticky problem: the existence of Linux. Back when users had no where else to go, Microsoft could corner them and get away with bloody murder. Now, there is a crack, a leak, if you will, and if they push hard enough, there will be an outgassing of people running from the pressure.

Thread Information