Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scholar Revamp Discussion

Default Scholar Revamp Discussion

Earlier today we posted a design preview for the upcoming plan to revamp the scholar school. You can find the full article here:
    Scholar Revamp

Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts on the upcoming changes.

Default Re: Scholar Revamp Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Amarie Ancalimon View Post
    Earlier today we posted a design preview for the upcoming plan to revamp the scholar school. You can find the full article here:
    Scholar Revamp

Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts on the upcoming changes.
    Finally more consumables teleport scrolls Oh yeah. guess ill need to befriend a biped instead of consuming them.

Nice to see new things comming along.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

oooooo yummy yummy!!! i love it!!!
    this just might get me excited about having to do essence work, maybe, in a small way!!!

and in my dreams, this might happen someday.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CslOIXporo
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

I love this idea! As I play my dragon mainly, it will be nice to actually have a (potential) market for all those spells I meticulously collected and scribed.

The other thing that caught my eye was the teleportation thing. Does this mean that we will be able to teleport without the use of a portal....and will we be able to teleport to anywhere we wish? If so, how would that work...enter co-ordinates?

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

ooo good point.......and can we scroll port the same as portal port? i mean, can we take our disks thru???
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

I like the idea of being able to use scrolls to buf myself without having to hunt a Naka down and squish buffs from thier soft little hides.

I give this two claws up (the opposable ones) AND the most important, the coveted Drakarr Seal of Approval!
    "Close your mind to stress and pain, fight till you're no longer sane. Let not one **** cur pass by, How many of them can we make die!!"
    "March of Cambreadth" by Heather Alexander
    Drakarr Lunus dragon, Chaos 100 ADV 100 DCRA 80 LSH

Quote Originally Posted by Drakarr View Post
    I like the idea of being able to use scrolls to buf myself without having to hunt a Naka down and squish buffs from thier soft little hides.

I give this two claws up (the opposable ones) AND the most important, the coveted Drakarr Seal of Approval!
    hmm will this be aval for both dragons and bipeds ? *runs away*

Sounds like a good set of changes to me.

With regard to the teleport scrolls, I'm sure a lot of folks will be curious. Some immediate questions that spring to mind are:

1. If tp scrolls are tiered, then how will this affect choice of destinations? Will it be the case that the higher the tier, the more destinations you can choose from.

2. Can you 'cast' the teleport scroll on someone else, effectively sending them where they want to go? This would be cool, although would obviously need a confirmation popup on the part of the recipient to avoid griefing.

3. Will you only be able to teleport to a landing pad? or could I just click my fingers and get beamed to my fav hunting spot?

4. Can I use a teleport scroll and 'zap' the contents of my disk to a designated silo halfway across the world? (think I already know the answer to this one)

Sounds like a good change, exciting stuff!

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Well, looks like I may have a reason to do something with scholar aside from having gotten to 19 to get enchanter.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Sounds good to me, teleportation scrolls could be a source of fun, for those WoWers out there that know inscription should know the fun of recall scrolls and for htose who dont, its basically a scorll that lets u recall back to your home but if your over the level of the scroll it will teleport you randomally in the world, always worth a laugh if your bored

New stuff is always good, it just shows the game is very much alive Will be posting something about it on my blog i guess

Quote Originally Posted by Doombreak View Post
    Sounds good to me, teleportation scrolls could be a source of fun, for those WoWers out there that know inscription should know the fun of recall scrolls and for htose who dont, its basically a scorll that lets u recall back to your home but if your over the level of the scroll it will teleport you randomally in the world, always worth a laugh if your bored
    This has nothing at all to do with anything in WoW.

1. If tp scrolls are tiered, then how will this affect choice of destinations? Will it be the case that the higher the tier, the more destinations you can choose from.
    Locations are tiered as well.

2. Can you 'cast' the teleport scroll on someone else, effectively sending them where they want to go? This would be cool, although would obviously need a confirmation popup on the part of the recipient to avoid griefing.
    No, you cannot use any scrolls on someone else. They are all self-only.

3. Will you only be able to teleport to a landing pad? or could I just click my fingers and get beamed to my fav hunting spot?
    No, they are tied to the location of the scroll. Same location, every time.

4. Can I use a teleport scroll and 'zap' the contents of my disk to a designated silo halfway across the world? (think I already know the answer to this one
    No.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I think these will be good for anti-biped dragon rp'ers, and for solo play in schools that can't use enhances.

I actually like the overall idea. It just seems like it eliminates those class differences that say warrior had with cleric. This may not be a bad thing I guess, maybe more people will play as warriors, or other less popular schools in general.

The teleport scrolls sound most interesting.

What about a scroll of the Cyclone? (Dark Cyclone) :P @ you droods. *ducks*

Thanks for running with the scroll idea.

Ruache
    Ruache: Dwarf Ranger 100, Craft lvl's 1900
    Hephestus: Ancient Dragon 100/100/100

Well, unless there are checks and balances in place (limits on what is scrollable), I think this has completely taken away from the diversity and choices of playing a biped/dragon. If a dragon can cast a scroll of energy bomb; what's the point of having a biped mage? I think there would need to be limits and not allow all in game spells to be made into scrolls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    Well, unless there are checks and balances in place (limits on what is scrollable), I think this has completely taken away from the diversity and choices of playing a biped/dragon. If a dragon can cast a scroll of energy bomb; what's the point of having a biped mage? I think there would need to be limits and not allow all in game spells to be made into scrolls.
    Read again, Creme.

There will, in fact, be around 50 scrolls for each Tier and they include HoTs (Heal-over-Time), Wards, Resistances, Enhances, Gifts, Raises and some special new ones (Specialized Damage Shields and….. *drummroll* Teleportation!).

Notice a pattern there? Almost all buffs or heals. Nothing offensive.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth
    Read again, Creme.

Notice a pattern there? Almost all buffs or heals. Nothing offensive.

[/SIZE][/FONT]
    Ah thank you for the clarification .
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

One thing that is not described as far as I can see;
    What skill will be used, if any, to determine what tier of scroll you can use?

And what, if any, level definition will be used to restrict/grant access to scrolls of various tiers?

Strictly tied to Current level (range), or Any level in determining scroll tier ranges that can be used?
    Would think current level (range) will be the determining factor to keep it somewhat under control?

Just curious.

As for the idea about changing the scholar class a bit, I'm all in favour.

Biggest plus; making it a bit better for dragons and spellcrafters in regards to getting some use for their spellmaking abilities in exchange for some coin.

/Irra

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Twister View Post
    One thing that is not described as far as I can see; What skill will be used, if any, to determine what tier of scroll you can use? And what, if any, level definition will be used to restrict/grant access to scrolls of various tiers? Strictly tied to Current level (range), or Any level in determining scroll tier ranges that can be used?
    Would think current level (range) will be the determining factor to keep it somewhat under control?

• Foraging, a skill that Gatherers and other schools already get, will be used to gather the initial unprocessed Papyrus Stems.
    • Papermaking is a processing skill that will be used to turn Papyrus Stems into Papyrus Sheets. Both Scholar and Gatherer will get this skill.

• Scribing is a new skill that will be used as a second-stage processing and finishing skill. Papyrus Sheets will be turned into Papyrus Scrolls and then into the actual spell scrolls themselves.

as for the other questions, its the same as any other crafting school as far as skills and levels.

For usage, its by level according to tier. So a level 1 player won't be able to use a Tier 5 scroll.

ack! i don't really have any spellcrafter levels, i do all my spellcrafting from my scholar class - getting capped at 39 means i lose the ability to craft any spells over tier II ??? :-((

the scrolls sound really cool but i don't want to lose capability i actually use... is there any timing estimate for me to work up spellcrafter against? *tries not to panic*

i'm guessing if you cut back on folks' skills who've already used scholar for spellcrafting you may get some significant flack, especially if they miss the forewarning. it distracted me from the coolness of the new scrolls... :-/

Thread Information