Thread: Get rid of the keys for chests

Default Get rid of the keys for chests

Sorry, this is probably an old topic.
    I returned about 3 weeks ago, after being unable to get Horizons to run on Vista for nearly 2 years.
    There are a lot of improvements, and some stuff I find completely out of order.
    I play a dragon.
    I cannot make keys to open chests. Ever.
    So I have to buy them.
    Most of the time the stuff in the chest isn't worth the price of the keys.
    Before you scream "Interdependence", I want to know what Bipeds need to buy from Dragons.
    *Crickets*
    We can't make our own food, we can't make keys. We're at the mercy of the bipeds, and I don't like it.
    What's more, if you actually get to the chest, your only key might not open it.
    Frankly... that's just not right.
    Either get rid of the need for keys (at least for non-quest chests), or make them drop from a mob, or give us the ability to make them.
    Sorry to rant, but I'm getting already a bit disillusioned here.

Default Re: Get rid of the keys for chests

I still like the idea of dragons crafting crystals, I think that'd be a nice addition. It would also be cool if dragons could make some tech kits based on dragon abilities, similar to what has been quest drops lately - applicable to scales/claw but also usable on biped stuff.

As for the keys, I have enough other requests coming at me that I do not make them on a regular basis. I don't think we should get rid of them 'cause I like the concept, but making them available in other ways sounds like a good idea to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Screech View Post
    I play a dragon.
    I cannot make keys to open chests. Ever.
    So I have to buy them.
    Most of the time the stuff in the chest isn't worth the price of the keys.
    We can't make our own food, we can't make keys. We're at the mercy of the bipeds, and I don't like it.
    Either get rid of the need for keys (at least for non-quest chests), or make them drop from a mob, or give us the ability to make them.
    Sorry to rant, but I'm getting already a bit disillusioned here.
    Join the club, personally I also believe that chests are a cool addition to the game, but the keys really should be made to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    I still like the idea of dragons crafting crystals, I think that'd be a nice addition. It would also be cool if dragons could make some tech kits based on dragon abilities, similar to what has been quest drops lately - applicable to scales/claw but also usable on biped stuff.

As for the keys, I have enough other requests coming at me that I do not make them on a regular basis. I don't think we should get rid of them 'cause I like the concept, but making them available in other ways sounds like a good idea to me.
    This would be cool I guess, as long as the crafted crystals are equal or better then the dropped crystals.
    Would love to make my own lairshaping cog, if they won't drop I will make them myself.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Not a fan of keys when the race (forget class) cannot make something to open it. I don't play any alts so as it stands there is no way to make keys unless I have others do it. Would it be possible to simply place a crystal formula dragons can make with a charged effect to open them?
    Ancient Azure - Dragon of Blight (Now Chaos) 100/100
    Khan 'Azure' the Patriarch - 1st Adult Dragon
    Too Much Hoard To Count.

I'm for having them just drop off the mobs in the locale around the chest.

To me that makes it more "immersive" and less "pointless" than "well now everyone can just make whatever keys they want."

At least if it has a drop rate of like 10% you're having to kill things to get what is in that quest.

I am NOT for the dragon being dependent on the biped at all - but to me drops seems more logical than just making it craftable by all.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

do not flame at me pls
    but I like the way it is.
    I cant imagine me as a dragon being interested in crafting something like a key.
    And I see how happy some bipeds are, if I ask them to craft me some keys.
    There are still a few here who need money, or who are happy if a dragon does them a favour in return.

What I really do not like is the idea that everyone is able to do everything.
    This is not realistic- even in the world of a mmorpg.
    And I will never support the idea of indenpendency of the races.
    I call that apartheit.
    (though I see, that bipeds do not need dragons)
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

don't know what to say, except that i need all my subjects, draggy and ped - i need my draggys to get me things i can't get on my own from places i can't get to, i need draggys to come babysit me when i can't handle critters on my own (which happens more than you might think - like inigo montoya, i have no head for strategy), and i need draggys to be my friends....
    i just need peds because they can bow down to me better than draggys....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM
    do not flame at me pls
    I cant imagine me as a dragon being interested in crafting something like a key.
    There are still a few here who need money, or who are happy if a dragon does them a favour in return.

I call that apartheit.
    Agreed; although it's my understanding that there's a sslik quest that requires crystalshaping resources and I know that there are confectioner resources that can only be obtained by dragons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    do not flame at me pls

I call that apartheit.
    I too don't think the OP was making this a dragon/biped thing.

I can understand his frustration at buying keys and then realizing that nothing of what he bought works for the chest he's currently looking at.

Me, being an old and forgetful player, a few weeks ago found myself looking for a key to drop off the local mobs for a chest I was looking at. I totally forgot they were suppose to be crafted at all. And yea I'd have no idea what key would work for what chest.

I mean just put yourself as the player, not as the race, in those shoes. If you can make them, perhaps only a small annoyance (Oh I need a red key for this chest not a blue one I'll just make it). But on the other hand, if you just spent limited silver on 15 blue keys and all you're finding is red chests - its a pisser! Even more of a pisser if say your keymaker is out of game for a week and you can't find another one...

(Red and Blue being just examples, I have no idea how the keys are organized as I've never looked...).
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

For the record, Keys are tiered. Chests are tiered. So, a Tier 2 Key goes to a Tier 2 Chest, tier 4 key to a tier 4 chest.

Now, it does get slightly more complicated. There are Enchanted Chests which require Magical Keys. But there aren't very many.

Obviously they aren't going to be loot drops, thats not how this game works. You all know that.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    do not flame at me pls

I call that apartheit.
    I think a Dragon with their size and power should be able to just break open any chest really. Who needs a key when you have the strength of a Freight Train?

However any dragon worth their salt would want whatever was in chests lol. Hoard!!!

Actually Shinkuu I was quite confused as to a creature in Hz with a healthbar that I could attack like a mob but wasn't losing health...(as a chest...)

Then I vaguely rememberd keys in game and gave up .
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkuu View Post
    I think a Dragon with their size and power should be able to just break open any chest really. Who needs a key when you have the strength of a Freight Train?

However any dragon worth their salt would want whatever was in chests lol. Hoard!!!
    I know of someone who used "Bite" on a chest and opened it ... though that's probably not how it's supposed to work.

Until there is something (that isn't dragon-quest-related like the Attunement to Draak) that bipeds *absolutely* can't do themselves and *have* to have a dragon for .... I would personally like my Lunus dragon not to have to rely on the "Lesser Races".
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

Heh, I just LOVE it when someone throws the word "Interdependence" out there when replying to anything about a Dragon needing Food, Keys, Rune Stylus, etc from bipeds.

INTERdependence kinda implies that the two races depend on each other and that's frankly NOT what we are seeing here, as someone else pointed out above.

Sure, Dragons can make bipeds' lives convenient as far as crafting (being able to fly and tow a disk can help a biped craft a lot faster...), but the bipeds could easily do without, and have been doing without, during the entire history of this game.

However... dragons cannot reasonably get rid of DPs without Food (unless you mind not playing the game for a month+ to get rid of 1-2 nights' worth of DP from hardcore adventuring), dragons cannot complete the Khutit Form quest without bipeds, Dragons can't open chests without their keys...

Yet, Bipeds could easily do Everything without the dragons ever being around, and that's dead wrong.

We need to give dragons some things bipeds _must_ have, to make this fair.

This thread has more than run it's course.

Keys are not going anywhere, nor are chests.

If you do not want to "rely" on bipeds for something, then don't use chests and keys. There's nothing in the game that requires you to do so.

Thread Information