Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Two New Race Ideas

Default Re: Two New Race Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by neva View Post
    I honestly wouldn't see it as competition. I guess to not my PoV. Since I see the Dragons probably being the more faster in the air then the Griffons, and the Griffons being maybe faster on land. Which this itself could even out the playing field a bit just by switching there speeds.

As for the Serpent dragons, as I stated above, I imagine them working more with clay, stone, and metal since they like things to be more beautiful and not so, stone blocky(sharp).
    However, someone did bring up the fact that there is only one form of Dragon in Istaria, the Istarian dragon. Ok then, lets say we go off that, then perhaps these guys are not really dragons, but another race of reptile and perhaps instead of flying they could actually move over water or through water.

One thing Istaria does not have is a race that can handle water. Anyone goes into the water, a little 'breathe' bar comes up and your doing a flail because you know your running out of time and your moving like your 60% over your load of handling because the game does not allow swimming.
    I am guessing however the reason Istaria doesn't have swimming is because of the engine that constantly seems to clog up the works at times. Sometimes, how I wish to shake my fist at it.
    However, this is still an idea. Move the Serpent breed from the air, to the water instead. Wallah, A Dragon of the sky and the Dragon of the Seas(The Leviathan).
    Say... that idea for the Griffins, with the speed thing... that sounds like it might actually work. And personally, I don't see griffins as a competition either, but others might, and your idea certainly seems like it would help to ease that problem, that, coupled with the craft-skills being different from Dragons, why wouldn't it work?.

The idea with the Serpent Dragons makes sense too, after all, in Serpent (Eastern) Dragon Lore, these dragons were actually sea/water dragons. In many legends I've heard (however few they may be), they don't even breath fire, but a steam/mist or sometimes even lightening and have power to control water, rain, and storms. They are also said to live in/right next to rivers and lakes, their eggs are even said to be shaped like pearls. They only fly by use of their magic and riding the wind. Maybe their RoP could be learning how to swim instead of fly? or maybe water-breathing or something like that?
    Last edited by flamestar; March 26th, 2010 at 06:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    We could use a skilled intern or two that know 3dsMax. However, they would not be in making any new assets for the game unless they also have or are willing to gain a good working knowledge in Maya as well. Most of our older models were made in Max and they could use a review and optimization which is what an intern would be doing.
    Nah, he isn't into that field. I may know a /few/ guys who are, but they don't live out here in Arizona sadly. :/

They don't need to live in Arizona. I work from Minnesota.

Actually my friend and I were talking about the Griffons, a few of us really about how they could fit into Istaria via crafting and such things.
    I suggested they do use wood, clay, and cloth for their homes. Wood is gatherable, since you don't need an axe to do that, good pair of claws can strip bark and if you know how you can carry a bucket of sap by the handle with a beak.

Cloth would be hard to make, but they can gather flax and stuff.. again, claws are handy for such things and birds are known for weaving. I forgot the species of bird, but they are known to make a weaved nest of twigs between tree branches and make it enclosed. So in theory, a Griffon could also do this.

Clay, is well, clay. That is all I gotta say on that.

I imagine there gatherings skills would be done the same way a Dragons is done, which is use 'natural' crafting tools. Meaning where we just click on our macroed button, hit gather, and away they go.

Also if they already did design a Griffon and if VI could get a hold of those original files, that also takes off some of the work load.

As for a RoP, yeah I can see the Griffon having there own, probably start out as a wee little thing and they get bigger. Though I imagine Griffons are not anywhere near the size of Dragons. So an old Griffon maybe be like-- up to an adult dragon's shoulder.
    If an old griffin would be that small compared to a dragon, how big would a griffin... huh, you know, what is a baby griffin anyway? a cub? a chick? just "hatchling"?

Anyway, how small would that be compared to a dragon hatchie??? 0_o would be pretty cute though I bet.

Oh, btw, the birds you were talking about? They're called "weaver birds" lol, but I can't remember the exact species either.

Just wondering... what do you think a griffin structure would actually look like? I always pictured something like a bald eagle's nest, but if it were in Istaria, how would it look then? Maybe something like these?:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...t_in_grass.jpg
    http://www.cindybeads.com/images/Bir...ird%20nest.jpg

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by baileytheferret View Post
    love it...only have one more thing to say....UNICORNS!!!!
    Unicorns? I mean, I can understand how Griffins and Serpent Dragons might work, but how would they fit playable Unicorns into the game??? Although that would be kind of interesting... I like unicorns too, lol Are there any unicorns in the game, btw?

I think the dragons ate them all and they are now an extinct species.

(with apologies to the writer of The Unicorn Song)

A long time ago, when Istaria was green
    There was more kinds of animals than you've ever seen
    They'd run around free while Istaria was being born
    And the loveliest of all was the unicorn

There was green hatchling dragons and long-necked sslisk
    Some humpty backed ruxus and some fyaaki
    Some bugs and wolves and treants, but sure as you're born
    The loveliest of all was the unicorn

Istara seen some Aegis and it gave her pain
    And she says, "Stand back, I'm going to make it rain"
    He says, "Hey Gifted, I'll tell you what to do
    Build me a floating zoo, and take some of those

Don't you forget My unicorns

The Gifted were there to answer the call
    They finished up making the ark just as the rain started to fall
    Marched the animals two by two
    And called out as they came through

Hey Istara,
    Some bugs and wolves and treants, but Lady, I'm so forlorn
    I just can't find no unicorns"

They all looked out through the driving rain
    Them unicorns were hiding, playing silly games
    Kicking and splashing while the rain was falling
    Oh, them silly unicorns

They cried, "Close the door because the rain is falling
    And we just can't wait for no unicorns"

The ark started moving, it drifted with the tide
    The unicorns looked up from the rocks and they cried
    And the waters came down and sort of floated them away
    That's why you never see unicorns to this very day

You're never gonna see no unicorns.

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    Shel Silverstein, and sung by the Irish Rovers.

And here I thought I was the only one who knew it!
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    This would explain why in the Last Unicorn the guy talked about you could see the Unicorns inside of the waves, of-course in that he ended up pushing them into the very waters where he imprison them.

I believe at least.. may have to watch the DvD again. Though I really wish they put Flight of Dragons on DvD.

I believe at least.. may have to watch the DvD again. Though I really wish they put Flight of Dragons on DvD.
    Yes. The two "classics" of that era and only one was put on DVD. Am I the only one that thinks of the two as inseparable? I have a tape version, just don't know anyone with a VCR anymore.

Though I really wish they put Flight of Dragons on DvD.
    Shame they broke the story it was half-based on (The Dragon and the George) ... just to hammer it into the Flight of Dragons pseudoscience.
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

It was very recently released to DVD.
    http://www.amazon.com/Flight-Dragons...0C/ref=sr_1_1?

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Kesqui View Post
    Shel Silverstein, and sung by the Irish Rovers.

And here I thought I was the only one who knew it!
    no way!! i love shel silverstein's adult stuff even more than the kid stuff! he also wrote 'a boy named sue' and 'i got stoned and missed it'....
    and let us not forget the stoner's lullabye....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kesqui View Post
    Shame they broke the story it was half-based on (The Dragon and the George) ... just to hammer it into the Flight of Dragons pseudoscience.
    If they hammered it into the Flight of Dragons pseudoscience, they did mighty poor job of it...

The Flight of Dragons was a brilliant book by Peter Dickinson (wish I still had my first print copy ).

It's a shame the movie (inspired by the book, supposedly - the protagonist's name in the movie is even Peter Dickinson) pretty much has nothing to do with the book...the closest it comes, as I recall, is when 'Peter' is trapped in a dragon's body and the other dragon (I forget the names....only saw it once a bazillion years ago) was teaching Peter 'how to be a dragon'...that used *some* stuff from the book, as I recollect.

Smile Re: Two New Race Ideas

Griffin sounds fun, I mean if you don't like dragons anymore, or don't like them at all, but still want to be a animal-like thing, griffin would be great!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stephan27 View Post
    Griffin sounds fun, I mean if you don't like dragons anymore, or don't like them at all, but still want to be a animal-like thing, griffin would be great!
    This seems to be the common statement of many when I brought this idea up. However as you can see from a good amount of the conversation, it be hard to figure out how to place them into the game and what form of homes they would have.

This seems to be the common statement of many when I brought this idea up. However as you can see from a good amount of the conversation, it be hard to figure out how to place them into the game and what form of homes they would have.
    Speaking of that... I had an idea for a griffin home. I couldn't get it out of my head, so I draw a pic of it:

This is just a "rough sketch".

I'll do a better one later, might even try some griffin concept art while I'm at it. (hatchling, adult, would griffins even have an Ancient?) but right now I have Finals to study for.

Oh, I also have this idea for how the Griffins could be introduced into the game. I've never written Istaria Lore before so please bare with me if I get something wrong in it. Thank you.

The Ancient dragon surveyed the landscape that stretched out below him, the only sound the beating of his great wings and the rustle of the wind over his dark red scales. Torchwing was in no hurry. It had been awhile since the old Scholar had been out of his lair, and the warm sun felt good on his skin, highlighting the golden stripes that dappled across it.

Movement caught his eye, and he glanced downward, the rotten stench of Death meeting his nostrils a moment later. His great eyes narrowed as he recognized what they were. There is no mistaking the Whithered Aegis once you see them.

Flame!” He thought, “The undead are growing bolder by the day...”

This small group of undead seemed to be attacking something, perhaps some poor Adventurer that had crossed their path. The dragon flew lower, trying to see what it was. When he could only see glimpses of whatever it was, but as it seemed to move on four legs, he might almost have mistaken it for a wolf.

Almost.

A piercing cry reached his ears, like that of a great eagle! A flash of white, brown and yellow, a flurry of large, feathered wings-

That,” He thought, “is no wolf.”

Immediately, he dove, landing hard enough that the earth trembled with force of it, and let out his mightiest roar! That certainly got the undead's attention. They abandoned their prey to face the newcomer, rushing onward regardless of the powerful foe they now beheld. There were seven in all, but the Ancient soon made quick work of them. After gathering his loot from their remains, he then went over to examine their quarry, which now lay unconscious on the ground.

“By my scales...” he thought as he gazed at it. “What is this thing?!”
    In all his life and travels, Torchwing had never seen a creature quite like this. In size, it was little bigger then a dragon hatchling, but it looked older then that, perhaps just come into adulthood. In head and chest, the creature resembled a giant eagle. A snow white head and neck, a large curved beak, with brown feathers down its chest and large feathered wings sprouting from its back. It's forelegs were bare from the elbow down, covered in tiny yellow scales and ended with strong talons, each equipped with a deadly black claw.

But here the resemblance stopped, for the beast's hindquarters were completely different. The brown feathers ended at its midriff, blending smoothly into short, tawny brown fur. The hind legs were like those of the Saris, lean and powerfully muscled. This, Torchwing reasoned, would give the creature ample power needed for lunching itself into flight. They ended in large paws, though the claws seemed un-retractable. A long rope-like tail come off the rear, ending with a large tuft of feathers.

“For stabilizing flight, most likely.” thought the dragon.

It was then that he noticed something twitch on the creature's head. Two white ears stuck up just behind the eyes on it's head. They also, were like those of a Saris, but instead of fut, these were covered in feathers. They twitched again as Torchwing drew nearer.

“So, still alive, my strange friend?” he asked. As if in answer, one ear swiveled to catch his voice, and the one of the creature's eyes eased open. Torch caught sight of dark blue with a round pupil, but clouded with pain as the creature tried to raise its head to look at him. It blinked once, then the eye closed, and it went limp again.

It was only now that Torchwing noticed the blood, and silently cursed himself. He'd been so caught up in the beast's appearance that he hadn't checked it for injury. For all he knew it could have bled to death while he was still gawking at it! He quickly found the source of the problem, however, a long gash in the creature's side, which was bleeding sluggishly.

“Hrm... You won't be alive much longer if I don't find a healer.” He said quietly. Fortunately, Torchwing knew of a naka city nearby. He would take the creature there for healing. Perhaps they might know what it was...

Torchwing glanced around as he entered the healers' building. He was in Khutit form, as his normal form was too big to enter through the doors. He soon spotted “his” creature on a bed near the far wall. The human healer tending it gave him a respectful nod as he approached.

“How is our 'guest'?” he asked softly.

“Stable.” said the human, an elderly male, “Luckily the wound only looked worse then it was. But he seems under nourished and hard pressed. Perhaps those Withered Aegis you killed had been hunting him for awhile now.”

“Strange...” mused Torchwing, “Why would they chase him for so long?”

“Maybe he can tell us when he wakes.” answered the healer, “If his kind speak, at least.”

A soft groan came from the bed. The two turned to look, and saw the creature lift its head, looking around slowly with wide eyes. It saw them and hissed in alarm, flaring its mighty wings!

“Peace!” said Torchwing, reaching a claw toward it, palm out, “Peace, my friend! We won't harm you. You're safe now.”

The creature gave him a strange look, then settled back down. There was a long silence, then-

“You look familiar.”

Another silence, as Torchwing and the healer stared in shock. Certainly they had guested that the creature could speak, but hearing and seeing it actually do still took them by surprise. Its voice held a faint croak and hiss, whether an accent or simply from a dry throat, it was hard to tell. But the voice was definitely male.

Finally regaining his composer, Torchwing regained his dragon form, though he had to lie down after banging his head on the ceiling. “Do you remember anything of what happened?” he asked.

The creature started for a moment at the sudden transformation, but then calmed as he seemed to recognize Torchwing. “Ah, I remember you, Magic Wielder.” his said, nodding his head to the impressive dragon. “You saved my life.”

“Pardon me,” said the healer, speaking to the creature, “I don't mean to be rude, but who are you?”

He studied the human for a moment, then said, “My name is Talonstrike. I am one of the Gryphire'ryne (Griff-Fire-Rye-In); the Children of Gryphera (Griff-Fear-a), first of our kind.”

“Griff- Griffire- Griffin?” tried the human.

Talonstrike looked at him thoughtfully, then said, “If our name is too much for you, then yes. Griffin will do.”

“My name is Torchwing.” said the dragon, as Talonstrike turned back toward him. “Where do you come from, Talonstrike?” he asked.

The griffin was silent for a moment, then said slowly, “My home is a steep cliff face, the cliff where we built our eyries for generations. The cliff rings all around small valley with many trees and rivers. Hunting and fishing are good, and we can gather wood, clay, and weaving grass (flax) to build with. My kind have lived their since before any of us remember, never needing to go into the outside world. We were content, and lived in peace.” He paused then, lowering his head and continued, “We thought those crags and cliffs would protect us from all threats... We thought we were safe...” He looked up, met their eyes-

“We were wrong.”

He continued sadly, “They came upon us without warning, and without mercy. They carry the scent of Death, yet they are not dead! These, these walking Death, somehow they made it up the cliffs... There was this- this plant-like thing! With them, it tried to take root. We fought, we fought, but they drove us into the valley... Many of my battle-kin were slain... I was sent to find help. I fled, but those- those-”

“They are known as the Withered Aegis.” Torchwing said solemnly. “They are undead.”

“Yes...” said Talonstrike, “Yes, those, those undead, followed me, ambushed me when I chose to rest. I should have known! I would be dead as well, were it not for you.” He raised his head, looking gratefully at the Ancient dragon. “You know of these foul creatures.” he then said seriously, “I can see the truth of it in your eyes.”

There was another long pause, like the calm before the storm...

Finally, Talonstrike said, “I was sent to find help. But, it seems that you have found me...”

Notes: The Griffin's name for griffin, I made up from the name for their “goddess”. Both names came to me in a dream along with this story. The names are based on the old spelling: “Gyphon”, and they wouldn't get out of my head. They seemed to fit anyway. But I'm not sure how the “first griffin” would fit into the Istarian Pantheon. Most likely as one of The Forgotten Ones, I should think.

As to the mention of fishing... well, why not? After all, some eagles eat fish. I also have no idea as to the location where this event might take place, as you can probebly tell. But only because I know nothing of the locations in Istaria. I pictured the griffin's cliff-valley hidden somewhere in the desert, but for all I know there might not be any un-charted places in it. It could be a tiny desert for all I know. I'm pretty sure there is a desert though, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, please let me know what you think, and if I put this post in the wrong topic.

My first venture into Istaria fanfiction: link and my other fanfics: link and artwork: link

Talking Re: Two New Race Ideas

I think it's a great story, and infact, like when reading a book, I want to know how it ends. And there is a desert in istaria, Kion, altough it's a very small desert.

Anyway I think it's better to put the Griffin Clith on another island, just a small one, where you train till you go to New Trismus, like shalkaar for dragons.
    Just my opinion.

Blog Entries

That was a pretty awesome story!
    I honestly didn't have any plans to how they got involved into Istaria, just the basic concept of the griffon and the fact they probably have like bird nest type homes.

So the work you have done is really something and I appreciate it deeply.
    Honestly, I can probably say that you can take it from here. As you have more of a general idea of where to go from here then I do.

Though on the homes, there needs to be away to expand them out, like the Dragon Lairs, or will they then have a set build around them and rooms and things locked away inside of the sphere-ish/oval home?
    I imagine probably a set size, where one could construct rooms and things around inside of it, however I don't know if Istaria's engine could handle such a thing. *shrugs*

As for a location, there are several small islands located around in the world of Istaria, many which I had flown too with really no good access to unless you can fly(at least when I went to them, this may have changed by now).

If anything, expanding the world out a bit, displaying a new island/area with maybe some new monsters, or new blight, and perhaps some story that could be revealed as the players attempt to 'free' the area from the Blight hold.

Of course in the end, this is all wishful thinking.

I like that idea a lot, Flamestar. o.o The location of their nest/holt couldn't fit into any tree I've seen in-game, and I don't think there are enough lairs to share between dragons and Grif's, but I've seen plenty of Plots you could adapt for a nest/holt... *shrugs*

I also like how you tied in how they have different crafting abilities than Dragons, but not expand them so far as to be comparable to the biped's versatility in all (non-Dragon) crafting schools. This would also give people who don't want to play a Dragon an option for something different (as well as Dragon players themselves for something similar to their Dragon(s), but quite different). They would probably have a crafting style similar to Dragons (ability-based instead of tool-based), including the difference between normal crafting and home-crafting--though shouldn't a Griffin one be called "Holtshaping" or "Nestshaping"?

I do think they have their own RoP, but I think it'd be better for them to only have 1 (to adult), in order to keep them from being a 'Dragon Clone'. I like the idea that even an adult isn't very much bigger than a Hatchling and/or Biped (perhaps somewhere between hatchling and adult Dragon), and we know that having the fledgling/cub/chick (whichever you prefer) being much smaller than either hatchlings or bipeds is possible. Just look at biped races like the Dwarves and Dryads, which match up rather well in fighting or crafting--though I don't think they'll go that small for the fledglings, hehe.

Finally, I definitely agree that they should have their own starting island, especially since they seem to have been completely isolated up 'till now. I know of a few training islands that had resources/NPC's pulled from them and are all-but-gone by now. They could be re-textured and re-named for a Griffin Starting Island... Though the next question would be, where would Griffin NPC's be in the rest of the world?

Oooh boy. If I wasn't considering a Griffin before, I sure am now!

Efinarcai Guarisart and Kyatra Dahk-- Order Server

Thread Information