Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Two New Race Ideas

Default Re: Two New Race Ideas

I aggree with the no AROP for Griffin, not only cause that is for dragons, but also cause 'Ancient Griffin'... sounds a little weird in my opinion.

Just a lore thought - not meant to put any of these ideas down .

Are there birds in Istaria?

Seriously? Outside of Chickens? I must say I've..never seen one.

When I saw the dragon comment about it looking like an eagle my first thought was "there are no eagles in Istaria...how would the dragon know what it looked like?"

Kinda like with the emote having to do with riding a dragon like a horse (isn't that the emote, I cant' remember). Horses don't exist in Istaria either, which makes the whole emote very off..lol. How can a creature in a world that doesn't have a particular animal recognize/identify/understand what that would be like...heh.

Just..thoughts..
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

We'd have to get clear about what creatures exist and don't exist on Istaria
    There is a quest about a parrot named Priscilla, but we don't see so much others parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post

When I saw the dragon comment about it looking like an eagle my first thought was "there are no eagles in Istaria...how would the dragon know what it looked like?"

Kinda like with the emote having to do with riding a dragon like a horse (isn't that the emote, I cant' remember). Horses don't exist in Istaria either, which makes the whole emote very off..lol. How can a creature in a world that doesn't have a particular animal recognize/identify/understand what that would be like...heh.

Just..thoughts..
    Are there no birds in Istaria, not even horses. Man who came up with that?

Just a lore thought - not meant to put any of these ideas down .

Just..thoughts..
    Actually, I had an idea that there might not be eagles in Istria (looked up the animal list on the wiki), but I thought that comparing the griffin to a giant chicken would have been a bit much. Well, that, and if I had, Torchwing might have decided to try eating it...

I knew that Istaria had no lions, pretty sure anyway, so I used Saris for comparison.

Oh, and to the ones who suggested making the griffin home on an island, now that you mention it, an island would make better sense then a desert for their home, because they are isolated from the rest of the world. That's why no one has ever seen them.

And I agree about the "no ARoP" for griffins. That's why I made the griffin from the story "little bigger then a dragon hatchling".

One of you (can't remember who, sorry ) said that "an old griffin would probebly come up to an Adult dragon's shoulder". Well, how big are Hatchlings compared to Adults? They almost come up to the shoulder, right? So an adult griffin would be bigger then a dragon hatchie, but still smaller then an adult.

As for the look of the griffin nest, like I said, I'm still considering that. I was actually thinking that a basic home would be that one chamber, but others could be added onto it, like a dragon's lair. I'll try to draw a picture of it after Finals are over. I'll see if I can draw some "concept art" of a griffin using the skills mentioned in the story too, maybe even come up with armor for them. But I should warn you guys that I'm not too good with drawing griffins... lol

Last thing: the reason Talonstrike (the griffin) had no armor (besides that I couldn't think of any atm) was that he thought he could go faster without it. Not the brightest idea, huh?

My first venture into Istaria fanfiction: link and my other fanfics: link and artwork: link

Quote Originally Posted by neva View Post
    That was a pretty awesome story!
    I honestly didn't have any plans to how they got involved into Istaria, just the basic concept of the griffon and the fact they probably have like bird nest type homes.

So the work you have done is really something and I appreciate it deeply.
    Honestly, I can probably say that you can take it from here. As you have more of a general idea of where to go from here then I do.
    Wow... thanks Neva, I mean, I didn't want to steal your idea or anything... but I couldn't help myself. I'm glad you like the story though

If anything, expanding the world out a bit, displaying a new island/area with maybe some new monsters, or new blight, and perhaps some story that could be revealed as the players attempt to 'free' the area from the Blight hold.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Btw... that "plant-like thing" from the story, what's the name of that anyway? the giant assperagus looking-thing that helps spread blight?

Of course in the end, this is all wishful thinking.
    Most things, if not all, start out as "wishful thinking", my friend.

My first venture into Istaria fanfiction: link and my other fanfics: link and artwork: link

Quote Originally Posted by flamestar View Post

Most things, if not all, start out as "wishful thinking", my friend.
    I totally agree with that, I mean this whole game was probably just a young child's wish.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stephan27 View Post
    I totally agree with that, I mean this whole game was probably just a young child's wish.
    Oh, I also believe that. After all, who doesn't dream as a kid of dragons and being able to play one.
    I remember as a kid I use to hate the fact they made dinosaurs and dragons out to be so evil so when things like, "We're back" and "Dragonheart" came out, I was really excited as a kid.

I have Draco's figure somewhere up in my room actually...

Mostly the reason I brought up the griffon idea is because a friend of mine awhile back and I got to talking about Griffons. How no game out there has playable griffons and if there are griffons they are the bad guys, when in mythology, Griffons were seen as noble beasts.

So, the idea has always been in my head and I just got to talking to a few people in game, another friend of mine who also came to play here and then figured, "Why the heck not."
    Thus, the suggestion.

So, I am really surprised to see also how many replies I have gotten to this, even if some are off subject, because that means people are interested in the idea as well.
    That is also why the work Flamestar is doing causes me to grin ear to ear as well.

I know in most games however, you can suggest stuff and it pretty much goes ignored. Istaria from way back to Horizons had a reputation of where the players spoke, the devs listened and they mauled it over.
    Now the question just balls down to that if we players do all the footwork, will they still attempt and the biggest problem I know right now is the team behind VI is small. Small and probably a bit under man powered with the support of some of the other players. Which means that any new race ideas or anything to expand the world is pretty much placed on the back burner till they can fix the much bigger issues.
    Which I am cool with.

Just wish sometimes I could do something to help out, because sadly even one I know is either gone into video game programming and I know one gal who is a teacher in 3d MAX/Maia(?) at a college, but I haven't spoken to her and not sure if most students today would really care to work on something like this...
    May poke her and see though...

There was a game in development that had gryphons as playable races (along withe dragons and centaurs and like 15 other variable races) but unfortunately it ran out of funding before beta and shut down .

Are there no birds in Istaria, not even horses. Man who came up with that?
    Ok, there are chickens, and as LT pointed out, we have parrots (if there are one I'll go with more). So..that's it.

And no, have you ever seen a horse in Istaria? Or a dog? or a Cat? We do have bugs that's for dang sure .

And I don't think it was a matter of a great discussion or anything, just a matter of time and art assets and the fact that when this game was released - "NPC decoration" wasn't really in most games. If you'll notice there is very few places with any "NPC atmosphere" wandering around - a few fish in some ponds, standing NPCs, and I thought I saw butterflies around a pond or two but I may be misremembering. Then of course cows and deer and sheep (I think) we do have those. Oh and the squirrels .

The game doesn't support "general NPC atmosphere" really, possibly due to the lag it would create - possibly just due to art asset time investment vs. return at this point.

My main point being if someone walks up to me and says "I want to ride you like a horse" I would look at them and go "Horse? What is this Horse of which you speak?"

Or if someoen would come up to me and say "I saw this giant fourlegged saris with wings and the head of an eagle" I'd turn and look at them most confusedly and start with "What's an eagle?"
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

My main point being if someone walks up to me and says "I want to ride you like a horse" I would look at them and go "Horse? What is this Horse of which you speak?"

Or if someoen would come up to me and say "I saw this giant fourlegged saris with wings and the head of an eagle" I'd turn and look at them most confusedly and start with "What's an eagle?"
    Yeah, I shouldn't have used an eagle to discribe it. But like I said, I'm pretty sure calling it a half-Saris, half-Giant Chicken would have been alot worse. lol! Maybe I should have gone with a parrot instead... At least I've seen one of those in a game screenshot (Velveeta's sig).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flamestar View Post
    Yeah, I shouldn't have used an eagle to discribe it. But like I said, I'm pretty sure calling it a half-Saris, half-Giant Chicken would have been alot worse. lol! Maybe I should have gone with a parrot instead... At least I've seen one of those in a game screenshot (Velveeta's sig).
    There is a parrot!
    The Sslik has one for a pet in Sslanis. >.>

So if there is chickens.. and Parrots, why couldn't there be an eagle? XD
    Just my crazy logic at work there.

We have bluebirds.

Well, at least we will. (tease) The attached screen is from something I am working on in spare time. Took me a while to get a couple of good shots, those suckers are quick!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Solitaire; April 18th, 2010 at 06:52 PM.

ZOMG SOlitaire that is so awesome!! Thanks for the tease!! HAHAHAA!

And again, like I said, it was merely a comment insertion by myself for some light-hearted thinking. I didn't mean it as a downer or attack on the RP story - which was a great story .
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    We have bluebirds.

Well, at least we will. (tease) The attached screen is from something I am working on in spare time. Took me a while to get a couple of good shots, those suckers are quick!
    Holy Cow, that is awesome!!
    So are these guys going to be flying around randomly or something?

Frith> Its cool.

We have bluebirds.

Wow! Cool!

oh, and it's no problem Frith-Rae. I was just joking about the chicken thing lol

Oh, btw I have another pic! I was working on a Final Project for school, couldn't think of anything to do for it at the moment, so I sketched this, and I thought it came out looking so darn cute that I just had to color it!

Hope you like it!

p.s. do you think they would better with that "mane", or without it?

So are these guys going to be flying around randomly or something?
    I was going to reveal what is going on it would not be a tease now, would it? It is just one of my little experimental projects with no time line when or even if it will make it into the game.

Blog Entries

I was going to reveal what is going on it would not be a tease now, would it? It is just one of my little experimental projects with no time line when or even if it will make it into the game.
    Honestly, it would be cool if it did. Wildlife that is always out to get you is always nice. Add more life and feel to the game in my opinion.

We have bluebirds.

Most excellent.

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

Birdies <3

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Blog Entries

Back on the Topic:

The other things I guess needs to be figured out is how the armor would work, they probably also use claws I imagine, just like dragons do.. but I guess they use more like harness armor.

As for abilities, outside of flight-- they probably have some racial abilities along with different form of natural abilities they would gain like the dragons do. This would then apply they would have there own adventurer school and probably their own crafting school as well.

Thread Information