Thread: Quick Question about Plots

Default Quick Question about Plots

From what I have seen/heard I am guessing that Plots/Lairs are not really usable until you are fairly high level due to construction requirements and the cost of the Plot/Lair itself. Is that correct and if so about what level should you bother really looking into them?

Default Re: Quick Question about Plots

That's a very hard question to answer. xP

There's a lot of plots, in a lot of sizes and a lot of places and a lot of prices. And, there's buildings that take resources that span all tiers, some beginner, some journeyman, some expert, etc.

I think the lowest price you'll be able to find is a few hundred silver, but I have a character who made that just by turning in a bunch of trophies in T2. The beginner buildings are going to take beginner resources, so you're looking at levels from 1 to 40 in some cases.

So.. the earliest for a smaller plot with beginner buildings is.. probably as soon as you can come up with the money. :P

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

if you join a guild and can buy a plot for 1 sp, you may find it best to get a plot after you qualify for at least one or more construction classes - those have prerequisites of something like 17 in one of scholar/outfitter/blacksmith or 14 in either gatherer/miner, depending on what skill the construction class uses.

Default Getting a level

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    I think the lowest price you'll be able to find is a few hundred silver, but I have a character who made that just by turning in a bunch of trophies in T2. The beginner buildings are going to take beginner resources, so you're looking at levels from 1 to 40 in some cases.
    With that part considered I have a hard time getting 5 Silver let alone 10 at the moment it is definitely a good ways off but maybe by the time I am in my 40's that will be more realistic.

As for guilds if one happens to scoop me up and that helps somehow then certainly that will change things a bit yes but I have not noticed much in the way of openings on the server I am on so I am mostly talking about doing things alone.

Also as a side question: What is the real benefit of having one of these plots/lairs? I know you can put equipment and such in them and I am guessing maybe hold some items there but they mostly sound like a pain in the tail to create without offering anything you cannot already find in towns. I really do not have anything against using the equipment in town or in the field and the plots I have seen would not be more convenient to go to in any way.

With a plot or lair you can store A LOT of stuff, whether it's armour and weapons or resources. You can build something as small as a tent or a large as a T6 guildhouse (if your plot's big enough). The structures hold varying amounts of items depending on their size and tier, with silos/storehouses being the choice for resources.

If you don't plan on being a packrat or doing a great deal of crafting then you can probably manage without a plot, though Vault X would be pretty essential I think. Most people though can't bear to part with a lot of things they gather along the way so end up stuffing a plot with it all, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Charys Stormchild View Post
    With a plot or lair you can store A LOT of stuff, whether it's armour and weapons or resources. You can build something as small as a tent or a large as a T6 guildhouse (if your plot's big enough). The structures hold varying amounts of items depending on their size and tier, with silos/storehouses being the choice for resources.

If you don't plan on being a packrat or doing a great deal of crafting then you can probably manage without a plot, though Vault X would be pretty essential I think. Most people though can't bear to part with a lot of things they gather along the way so end up stuffing a plot with it all, lol.
    LOL I know that type pretty well. I have several friends who can never part with anything for whatever reason even when it is not useful. I am more of a "Keep it only if I can use it" sort and sell all the rest.

I do like doing crafting but I do not have much need for doing huge amounts of any one thing at a time. I only really make stuff I or my mate can use and will probably continue to do that.

I've gone years without a plot and yes a plot isn't needed for a good gameplay.
    But at a certain moment, like when you only have one sub but you want to exchange things between 2 of your characters or when you're wandering around and find an affordable plot on a really good spot, you might consider buying one.
    Then you get the pleasure of designing it, building it, you stuff your T1 guildhouse with stuff and then you're hooked!
    So take care

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

I'll argue that plot/lair construction in Istaria happens to be a major part of the experience. After all, there are six specific classes (carpenter, enchanter, fitter, mason, weaver, and lairshaper) that are for doing it. Both are limited only in size restrictions of the available area (and level 0 interaction with the terrain in lairs). Aside from that, it is a substantial way of altering the game play for the entire shard. Having player-built crafthalls near specific resources bolsters the use of those resources for other, not-necessarily construction-oriented classes. I'll use my plot in Acul as an example. On Blight, I've seen several times they don't use the Acul steel field or oak forest because they have to transport the resources elsewhere to process. On Order, my crafthalls provide that service to anyone who needs them, plus giving the processing bonus and the finishing machines. Beyond function, there's the beauty of the plan. If you happen to wander Carmo on Order shard, you will find a player-built MAZE to enjoy. Also, it is one of the hubs of Order shard for confectioners to sell their wares quickly and easily at one of the largest taverns.

Yes, the benefits do outweigh the potential hindrance of the initial coin to purchase. Also, keep in mind you must have a Gifted subscription in order to own land in Istaria. Trial, free, and basic subscriptions don't have that option.

Getting back to the original question, you don't HAVE to have a lair or plot if you don't want to. But they are not limited to higher levels only. The beginner crafthalls take tiers 1 and 2 resources. It is possible to have an entire plot built solely with those resources. As for dragon lairs, the vast amount of useful tier 1 and 2 chambers are tier 1 and 2 resources as well.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post
    I'll argue that plot/lair construction in Istaria happens to be a major part of the experience. After all, there are six specific classes (carpenter, enchanter, fitter, mason, weaver, and lairshaper) that are for doing it. Both are limited only in size restrictions of the available area (and level 0 interaction with the terrain in lairs). Aside from that, it is a substantial way of altering the game play for the entire shard. Having player-built crafthalls near specific resources bolsters the use of those resources for other, not-necessarily construction-oriented classes. I'll use my plot in Acul as an example. On Blight, I've seen several times they don't use the Acul steel field or oak forest because they have to transport the resources elsewhere to process. On Order, my crafthalls provide that service to anyone who needs them, plus giving the processing bonus and the finishing machines. Beyond function, there's the beauty of the plan. If you happen to wander Carmo on Order shard, you will find a player-built MAZE to enjoy. Also, it is one of the hubs of Order shard for confectioners to sell their wares quickly and easily at one of the largest taverns.

Yes, the benefits do outweigh the potential hindrance of the initial coin to purchase. Also, keep in mind you must have a Gifted subscription in order to own land in Istaria. Trial, free, and basic subscriptions don't have that option.

Getting back to the original question, you don't HAVE to have a lair or plot if you don't want to. But they are not limited to higher levels only. The beginner crafthalls take tiers 1 and 2 resources. It is possible to have an entire plot built solely with those resources. As for dragon lairs, the vast amount of useful tier 1 and 2 chambers are tier 1 and 2 resources as well.
    The benefits you list are largely for other players and higher level people to begin with and the cost of a plot is far too heavy for a lower level player to even dream of. To be honest though I do not find that to be a huge deal because there is not a lot a lower level player can really do with one anyway due to crafting levels and seems how they have not seen that much of the world it may be best that they wait a bit before looking into such things anyway.

As for appearances and aesthetic value...Well...LOL I am a function > form type of lady (Yeah I know, we are a rare breed LOL) so if I do make something later it will not be pretty just very space efficient and functional.

I have a basic subscription at the moment because I do not see any reason to upgrade until I have the skill or motivation to actually make a plot or lair. Later on I might bother with it when I am bored of grinding monsters or if I feel it would be good RP value but Shinkuu (my Saris) is not a home builder she is a blacksmith/jeweler so it will probably be a Lair for Zarla if anything.

I'll also chime in and say that if you are worried about coin, I got the coin for my first lair by asking around for paying lair work. There's more than enough rich older players that pay good coin for construction units. This also gets you xp and levels in preparation for working on your own plot/lair.

I remember my original time on Istaria... so long ago.

I got crafter skills up to about level 30ish or so, and builder skills to nearly the same. I earned coin and honed skills by putting construction materials on other people's plots who were offering coin for the exchange.

And with that, I bought one of the smallest plots, and built a rock garden with a tiny open-sided stone Sslik hut. (All tier I and tier II resources, with an emphasis on stone and essence, which were my specialties.)

It served no practical in-game purpose, but it was a great place to sit and contemplate, while having extensive in-game conversations with guildmates or friends.

Thread Information