Thread: Devs : I wonder if this is possible ... (newbie crafting helper)

Default Devs : I wonder if this is possible ... (newbie crafting helper)

I can adventure AFK by creating a macro

Target nearest creature
    Attack
    Wait 20 seconds
    execute macro again

... now this is no infallible as ...

1) sometimes it lags out and fails
    2) there are no nearby creatures
    3) it fails on level up

... I can gather "water" (laughable animation by the way - bashing the well with a bucket doesnt seem an efficient way to draw water - sorry off topic really) by switching on gather .... then if fills my CD and inventory without stopping as its an unlimited supply.

However, I cant macro ...

Target nearest resource node
    Gather
    Wait 20 seconds
    execute macro again

Now there will be those who will vehemently disagree with the ability to macro an AFK resource gather ... but I dont think it will lead to a permanent AFK gathering problem (see below for reasons)

I wonder if ...

1) it is possible ?
    2) it is desirable (from the players and developer's point of view) ?
    3) both 1 and 2 are in the positive ... can/will it be implemented ?

I believe the advantage would be to remove some of the tedium of low level resource gathering.

It would fail with a full inventory, so a built in iteration count would not be necessary.

It would not likely be used by crafters in dangerous areas as the risk of mob ambush would require.

I value any polite, articulate comments - you dont have to agree, just dont be offensive.

I would also like to here from a developer about whether this has been considered in the past and rejected, not considered at all, or under consideration for future implementation.

My apologies if this should have been in the Suggestions forum - but General seems to have more traffic and I wanted to get player feedback as well as make the suggestion to the devs.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Garden Gnome - Order
    Impure Mage lvl 52 / Enchanter 45 / Spellcrafter 42 / Mason 23
    ( Last of the Forgotten )
    (99.6% html free signature)
    Nicolas de Chamfort : "Swallow a toad in the morning and you will encounter nothing more disgusting the rest of the day."

Default Re: Devs : I wonder if this is possible ... (newbie crafting helper)

I suggested this in a ticket some time ago well I suggested a target nearest resource node and was told by a WM it was intentionally left because it would allow for unattended macroing of crafting.

Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

So unattended macroing of adventuring is okay then - interesting.

Unattended "crafting" is only going to happen for the period of time it takes to fill an inventory and CD - then active player involvement is required.

Lets say 15-20 minutes for low level crafters ... maybe 5 minutes for a high level crafter gathering resources at high efficiency .. does that seem a good estimate?

Theoretically an unattended attack macro is potentially more likely to create unattending levelling - can function theoretically for a as long as it take for you to gain a level ... and you get XP for that absence from the game... whereas an unattended gathering macro only gets you filled with resources ... no worse than standing, bashing a well ... and going to make a coffee while you wait.

Now Im not suggesting the attack macro potential be removed .. that would be disastrous for fighting in lag ... all I am asking for is balance for the lower level crafters to get around some of the tedium of .... 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1 gathering.
    Garden Gnome - Order
    Nicolas de Chamfort : "Swallow a toad in the morning and you will encounter nothing more disgusting the rest of the day."

I assure you I argued the point as well (I can provide full details of the ticket) There is no way to level using Unattended crafting simply because you can't do something like /createitem [bronze short sword] 50. The interface requires you press atleast one button to craft.
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

Actually, the interface does allow you to do Create item and execute with out pushing the create button. it is not on the macro UI but it is there as a /slash command that will allow it to be done.

So the only piece missing is the select nearest resource.

I am quite happy there isnt an option like that. In combat it is needed, especially when in a large group or with adult dragons in group. not so necesary in crafting.

Dangit, yes in theory but where do you have a machine within range of your last resource node you gathered from in the auto ... and there is no "find and move to nearest machine" command either.

.. and you have to have a script built into recognise you have enough resources in your inventory to then switch to the refinement phase.

Unless there are hidden commands I dont know about I dont think a crafting macro can everdo anymore than gather resources.
    Garden Gnome - Order

Why is it ok then to find the nearest monster hidden by 2 adults dragons, but it isn't to find the nearest ressource node hidden by crevace, night (slate and iron for example)?

I believe the 'Select Nearest Ressouce' would do the same thing as 'Select the nearest Monster':
    Selec entity that are difficult to select due to visibility or accessibility.

And contrarely to adventuring, the command Gather doesn't move the player toward the nearest node, while 'Attack' does. And with most of the field guarded, I don't see how a crafting macroer would be able to survive.
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

I think it is a grand idea and should be done.

However, it seems AE loves the challenge of allowing AFK macroing adventuring schools WHILE providing high level content for the player base (of which some may have used this at one time or another). I know I have thought of it. The AFK macroing can be done with ranged spells and be quite complex I imagine (attacks and buffs and heals, etc.).

Yes, after a character's inventory and cargo disc are full (or a wondering monster does him in) it ends. It would reduce the tedium factor at the "1,0,1,1,0,0 . . . tier I stage" or the many 1s then a few 2s at level 5 with a cargo disc.

Just odd, but that is AE.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

Well, I start digging and then alt tab and read the forums / IRC / do other.
    When I hear the noise stopping it's time to walk to next node.
    With a disk in tow before you are full it takes at least 10-15 minutes, thena bit of attention to craft / decon, then off again for 10-15 minutes.

It's afk crafting enough not to cheat (i.e. total UCM where you start in the morning and go to work and return levelled) and still I have time to do other.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Actually, this was a huge flame war a while back on Tazoon. The EULA states that AFK macroing of any sort is forbidden. People who were AFK fighting became targets of rez killers. Many bitter words were said on both sides of the argument.

So no, AFK combat is *not* ok, per the EULA. Nor would afk gathering. Right now nodes are plentiful, but imagine a field with three precious gold nodes in it. You only need a few ores for what you are doing, but up runs a person and starts mining the node you are working on. Turns out s/he is afk, and targeting the nearest node, which happens to be the one you go to to avoid the node-thief ..

Point being, if you are afk you cannot be sure you are not kill stealing or node stealing. If you're bored, then chat while you gather. I've had some great RP scenes in the Pub while swinging my pick in the field.

-Levity Merrel, Crai Aisling, Sans AoP in Aiya-on-Pad
    88 Blacksmith/63 Fitter/69 Reaver ... and *considering* masonry ..

Felinor

AFK macroing is not really an accepted form of leveling. The vast majority of people are unhappy with an AFK macroer in thier mist. Please...please don't let me catch you afk macroing. I gave 1 guy 112 dp's in one night that way and he was so unhappy he quit the game. He was a jerk though and nobody cried. :)

Redblade

Aye afk macro hunting is for lazy folks. Why would you buy a game and then let a few lines on a macro do all the work and have all the fun. Thats pointless the purpose of this and the many other mmorpgs is to give people some where to go and have fun, not log in click your macro and walk away. If thats your idea of hunting quit playin :) more critters for the people thet actually PLAY THE GAME to kill, and as felinor stated ealier I to have given a few afker's a dp or 2 to remeber me by ;)

Redblade-II
    Order
    100pally/100knoc/81weaponsmith

Aye, I would have to agree, Macroing an AFK situation, or even being AFK to me, is like in Real Life, when you talk to someone and they do not respond because thier mind is elsewhere, I think it is rude, oh, I will admit, I do not always respond to someone, but that generally is not becuase I am AFK, but busy responding somewhere else, or flying from one point to another, other then that, I most usually respond when I am able, oh, another time I may not respond is when I am in battle.

when I decide I truly need to go AFK for an extended period, I plant myself in a town, doing nothing, and type /afk

Zarkela - Green Dragoness - Helian

There are a few instances of unattended macroing that aren't a problem, like a consume foods loop to reduce DP. So there isn't a blanket rule against them. The rule seems to be against affecting other's gameplay with your macros. That means no kill stealing or node stealing, which the AFK macro user can't guarantee. It's just rude to use a shared resource while AFK. I wouldn't want to see AFK gathering made possible.

Of course, a command to target the nearest node wouldn't be enough to enable completely automate gathering since you'd still need to get over to the selected node. Which the gather command doesn't do. So target node might be nice to add just to help the attended gatherer. Sometimes it's a pain to click on a node, or the lighting conditions make it hard to see them. So I would be for the command, but totally against making AFK resource gathering feasible.
    Ikfel the Crafty Dwarf
    Level 100 Blacksmith, Mason, Miner, Scholar, and Outfitter

Quote Originally Posted by Felinor
    AFK macroing is not really an accepted form of leveling. The vast majority of people are unhappy with an AFK macroer in thier mist. Please...please don't let me catch you afk macroing. I gave 1 guy 112 dp's in one night that way and he was so unhappy he quit the game. He was a jerk though and nobody cried. [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]
    I think attack-macroing in an area where you are at risk of dieing is not the most sensible approach anyway ... but each to his own.

... isnt player justice wonderful Felinor .... s'pose you think that behaviour wasnt in breach of the rules either ? - actually off topic so I will get back to the point at hand.

Ok - I accept the potential for ingame "rudeness" caused by unattended gameplay - eg. killing someone elses target, or taking resources from someone elses resource node.

I also accept that a target/attack nearest creature is critical in group hunting - it is often very difficult to click-target a mob in the middle of a melee, and that unattended attack macro's are only a side-effect of this ability.

I am unhappy that newbies crafters cant be assisted with gathering resources by a similar "target nearest node, move to it, gather" ... I am unhappy that mid-level adventurers can level-up their new adventure classes by going to a safe area and being AFK for each level.

btw - I have tested this ... my lvl 10 melee adventurer alt. I created just to test this AFK macro out obtained levels 1-4 of cleric and 1-4 of mage on AFK macro in the starter island maggot area (lvl 4+ maggots) ....

... I would not be stupid enough to do the same with Magfuddle though - Mag's is a sniper and AFK attack macros would fail due to the complexity needed and lead very quickly to a melee death.

I guess in conclusion, I am prepared to accept that newbie crafters are not likely to get the "target nearest node, move to it, gather" command ... oh, well.

Perhaps we could compromise and just have the "target nearest node" ability ? as

Quote Originally Posted by Ikfel
    There are a few instances of unattended macroing that aren't a problem, like a consume foods loop to reduce DP. So there isn't a blanket rule against them. The rule seems to be against affecting other's gameplay with your macros. That means no kill stealing or node stealing, which the AFK macro user can't guarantee. It's just rude to use a shared resource while AFK. I wouldn't want to see AFK gathering made possible.

Of course, a command to target the nearest node wouldn't be enough to enable completely automate gathering since you'd still need to get over to the selected node. Which the gather command doesn't do. So target node might be nice to add just to help the attended gatherer. Sometimes it's a pain to click on a node, or the lighting conditions make it hard to see them. So I would be for the command, but totally against making AFK resource gathering feasible.
    btw - no comment from a dev. yet ? Have any read this thread and chosen not to comment or have they not been here yet ? Even the courtesy of official party line would be appreciated.
    Garden Gnome - Order

Thread Information