Thread: Gathering

Default Gathering

If I chose gathering, which professions go good with it. Like Ranger or something like that

Default Re: Gathering

Not sure if http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Schools is helpful to answer that, but it's where I looked first.

Gatherer is a huge help to crafting that does not involve a mining pick. Those crafting classes that are helped by gatherer may be better for a stat boost to your chosen adventuring class.

One of the gotchas of leveling Gatherer and Miner (Tinkerer and Enchanter as well) is that you gain skill levels in salvaging. It becomes a problem when you want to level any of the equipment creation schools, since the best way to level (say armorer) is to create and then deconstruct the items for resources and more XP; however, you only get deconstruction XP if either your creation skill is higher than your salvaging skill or your school gives salvaging levels.

This can be handled by watching the skill levels so that there is never a conflict or avoiding using the auto-deconstruction option in the crafting window. In the second case you need to manually deconstruct the items after equipping a low level salvaging awl.

As far as adventure schools, gathering gives significant Dexterity per level (8), but less per level than the schools that really benefit from Dex. There is little synergy between any of the schools and either gathering or mining since both are just resource harvesting schools and all they require from an adventure school is the ability to eliminate/survive any MOBs protecting the resources.

Gathering does help cooking, making cloth/leather armor, and a few other crafting schools (with the caveats above).

All this said, I would only choose Gathering or Mining if I needed it to make another crafting school easier or if I just wanted to gather resources for other players to craft with (people will pay for bulk collection of resources--especially if you are willing to deliver it to their silos).
    Members of The Eyes of Istaria on Chaos; Swordmage on the Wiki.
    Bipeds: Gwendora and Flinq Armstrong
    Dragon: Gildenstern

Thanks for the long piece of info. I think I worded my question wrong. I will try again. What adventure class would benefit the most by being a gatherer.

About the only thing that could cross over is stat points. Assuming equal levels of adventure and craft, no adventure class gives less health/power/focus/strength than gatherer does. That leaves dexterity; the classes that give you the least dexterity are mage, blood mage and wizard, so gatherer would be of the most help to your stats there - though I'm not entirely sure dexterity makes a huge difference to those classes.

Dexterity helps you hit better with physical attacks; I'm not sure if it helps at all with the speed of your attacks, but it does not affect road speed. I'm not sure how much it helps your evasion (dodging physical attacks) but it would make sense to me if it did.

I hope this answers your question better.

Look for all the figures:
    http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Schools
    You get the best out of schools like fitter and weaver. (10 strength, 10 dex) and that's handy when you take a adventure school with less Str or Dex points per level.
    For gatherer read the above written by awdz.
    Gatherer isn't much of a craft school for getting statpoints.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

It seems to me that the Gatherer and Miner craft skills mostly serve as a quicker route to the construction craft schools, without much regard for Adventure classes.

well being a huge crafter, I have to agree that I should have done both gatherer and miner before the buildable crafting schools. I did gatherer and now working on miner, but they are really needed for making Expert Buildings.

I do not know if there is actually a way of ever getting like thornwood boards to a 2-1 but without gatherer up to 100 I think the best one will get is 4-1 maybe 3-1.
    16 100 crafting classes....getting closer

Quote Originally Posted by bandishier View Post
    well being a huge crafter, I have to agree that I should have done both gatherer and miner before the buildable crafting schools. I did gatherer and now working on miner, but they are really needed for making Expert Buildings.

I do not know if there is actually a way of ever getting like thornwood boards to a 2-1 but without gatherer up to 100 I think the best one will get is 4-1 maybe 3-1.
    Its possible to make all the t6 resources at 3:1 (3:2 for ada), need 1467 skill for 3:1 (1400 for 3:2).
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Thread Information