Thread: Impossible to connect to the server.

Question Impossible to connect to the server.

Lately, I've had this really weird problem when it comes to trying to log in to the game. I open the launcher and enter my name and password, but the very second I hit "log in", a window pops up telling me it "was unable to connect to the server." It also prompts me to download the latest version of the launcher, but there's no difference and it does nothing.

"Error Code: There was a problem communicating with the server. This can occur when the server takes too long to respond, or the data returned is corrupt."

Is there a problem with my launcher? Do I need to reinstall the game?

I'm at a loss and practically in tears because I haven't been able to fly around in months. Since clearly the solution to this problem is beyond me, I extend my plea to someone who is hopefully more knowledgeable then I.

I've read some other topics about the launcher 'failing', thinking that might be my problem, but so far nothing has made an improvement. I don't have a preventive firewall up (to my knowledge), and my account is paid for and functioning. I've submitted a ticket to the support page, but haven't received any response yet.

Because I am impatient, I ended up coming here. lol

Anyway, any help I could get on this subject would be useful. Particularly if it's a problem on my end, which means that I'd likely be able to fix it. Maybe. Hopefully...

Default Re: Impossible to connect to the server.

Can you login using the old login page? (https://play.istaria.com/)

You can't start the game from there, but at least it will show that you are able to reach the accounts database.

For some reason it appears the launcher is failing when it is trying to connect to the accounts db to lookup your account details and characters.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Yup, I can log into the page just fine. Everything looks as it should.

I guess this means there's something wrong with my launcher then?

EDIT:

Wait, on second thought, how far into the page am I suppose to be able to log into? Obviously I can't start the game up, but did you mean just logging into the account in general, or something else?
    Last edited by veahl; June 22nd, 2010 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by veahl View Post
    Yup, I can log into the page just fine. Everything looks as it should.

I guess this means there's something wrong with my launcher then?
    Yep looks like the problem is with the launcher.

I'm not sure what the cause is, however since you can get into the old login site you can get your key information and bioteid's and login via the batch file method for now until support respond.

(there also used to be a java launcher floating about, not sure where it is now)

PS
    When support work out what the cause is, can you please post on this thread so we know for the next time it happens.

Edit : I was just looking for you to be able to login to the site to be able to see your characters.

Edit 2: I'm assuming that you have checked that the launcher.exe has permission in the Windows Firewall?
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

"you can get your key information and bioteid's and login via the batch file method for now until support respond."

What's this now? -is not savey with this new method-

And will do. I hope support has an answer sooner or later. I'll be sure to share any possible solutions to it when/if they get back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by veahl View Post
    "you can get your key information and bioteid's and login via the batch file method for now until support respond."

What's this now? -is not savey with this new method-

And will do. I hope support has an answer sooner or later. I'll be sure to share any possible solutions to it when/if they get back to me.
    Batch File login process

by Guaran ยป Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:47 pm

Using a batch file to login can be a nice timesaver as well as help be sure you are skipping the patching process, useful if you stay patched up on blight, or play on blight for testing purposes, but do not want to have to patch every time you login to the alternate shard.

When the batch file runs, it's going to be relative to whatever directory that it's in. Given that, you need to make sure that when you call horizons.exe or istaria.exe that you first change directory to your Horizons install directory so that the script knows where to find it:

c:
    cd "C:\Program Files\Artifact Entertainment\Horizons"

Be sure you reference the actual install location on your computer which is likely different than the above.
    After that, you want to start the application like so (explanation of params below):

istaria.exe weblaunch_standard username password worldname biotenum port auth_server_IP public_key playername DefaultShard

username - This is your e-mail address
    password - This is your password
    worldname - This is your shard - expressed in lower case
    biotenum* - This is your char's biote ID
    port - Always leave this 0
    auth_server_IP* - In form "ip: port" without quotes or spaces - you can see this in the launch URL
    public_key* - This is that long as string of hex
    playername - This is your character's first name
    DefaultShard - This is always "DefaultShard" - don't change it

* You should be able to get this information from the second login screen from the Character management website: http://play.istaria.com where you used to be able to actually launch the game after logging in to the website. Simply right-click on the page's background and select "View Source" once you are at the "Start Istaria - Character: <toon name>" web page.

An Example Batch File:
    C:
    cd "C:\Program Files\Artifact Entertainment\Horizons"
    istaria.exe weblaunch_standard [email protected] hehyeahright chaos 1234560 0 198.65.124.150:47101 0602000000A40000525341318001000001000100D30E97AC5D 826759CF495CD11A1127BF73B91EC860E656001340F3D20D19 96C1BCDDBDE8778BE494992FAUXCSAMPLEC4 ToonName DefaultShard
    Note: the line used to launch the game, starting with istaria.exe, is actually all on one line. It is very long and will wrap around.

All you need to do is open up notepad and save the file as a .bat (Windows Batch File) and place it somewhere on your machine. You can run batch files by just double-clicking on them. I keep mine on my desktop due to easy access. Do not put it in the Horizon's install directory since it will get deleted during a full scan.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Ooh! Okay. Thank you, I'll give it a try. let's hope I don't muck it up.

I do have a question though; I haven't updated Horizons/Istaria in a while. Is that going to make this not work? Because I wouldn't have the recent version?

Hasn't been a patch to live shards since Feb (I think) so should be okay (bear in mind shard maint is about 2 hours away)
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

I just realized that stupid ignorant me doesn't know how to make this 'batch file' thingy. xD It's a program of some sort... how do I begin it? I assume it's not something like a text document or anything like that.

-ducks head ashamedly-

Use notepad and when you save it you save it "filename.bat", then windows thinks it is a batch file.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Thank you!

EDIT:
    Never mind. I made the batch file and it still gave me the same problem. Exact same error code. D:

-sad face- I will have to wait for support to get to me.
    Last edited by veahl; June 22nd, 2010 at 10:49 AM.

*Hugs Veahl* Hope to see you back in game soon...like right after maint!

-clings- ;~; Me too! I would love to be back.

....as soon as I can actually log in without getting an error cord. xD

Thread Information