Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: June 2010 Content Update Discussion Thread

Hybrid View

Default Re: June 2010 Content Update Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Scrolls feedback:
    Teleport scrolls. Should be useful for crafters.
    What Guaran hasn't mentioned is that he tested using a teleport scroll with a cargo disc equipped and the teleport worked (disc an all).

The teleport scrolls may prove to be more useful than I first thought :P
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post
    The teleport scrolls may prove to be more useful than I first thought :P
    Really? Have you guys notice the recycle time on these things? It's a whopping ONE HOUR. And its on a shared timer. Meaning if I use a Kion teleport scroll, I have to wait one hour before I can use another teleport scroll regardless if its a different destination scroll like to Chiconis or Sslanis.

I can probably run from Kion while carrying a disk all the way to Aughundell, use Aughundell's portal and port to Sslanis FASTER than it would take to wait for my Sslanis Teleport Scroll to "recycle" again. I can't imagine a scenario, crafting or adventuring, on a biped or dragon, where I would use these instead of a recall or regular portal.

And then you have the whole money thing and how much it costs just to buy these tokens. The cheapest is 1s and 500c. But there are others out there costing as much as 3 and 5s each. EACH!
    Okay so you are saying "they not suppose to replace portals and you paying for the "convenience".
    .. Really? What's the convenience? They only go to racial cities. How many plots/lairs could POSSIBLY be in walking distance to these cities? Chances are you still going to pay more money to a portal OUT of these cities as soon as you use the scrolls because your plot/lair is in some settlement/guild island/whatever.
    (Meaning three ports. One port via using the expensive scroll you bought, 2nd port to bristugo (cause it has portals that go everywhere), and 3rd port to the settlement your plot/lair is actually on. And it probably will be 3 ports for most of the community because racial cities only have portals that go to OTHER racial towns (and Trandalar))!
    And you cannot say it convenience time wise.... because as I just pointed out it takes an hour to recycle. So really... I can't fathom where this "convenience" you speak of is.

My definition of money sink (off the top of my head)- Something that is very useful and in constant demand; bought in mass quantities causing people to spend lots of their money on. Something that is used quickly and therefore needs to bought constantly. Something that a majority of people need/want. The exact opposite of how I would describe these teleport scrolls.

The only way these things are a money sink is by tricking new scholars into buying and making them- only to later realize how useless they actually are.

Seems a shame and yet funny at the same time. Shame that something that was in the works for such a long period of time and sounding absolutely awesome ends up actually being made lame and possibly a waste of said time. Funny cause we are constantly hearing how other things are put off because they would waste too much time to get them to work or fixed! (I am still waiting for my loyalty token, but in light of this post I am probably never going to get it now cause I've made you all pissed.) :B

Because this is merely my views on these teleport scrolls, and the usefulness of them (or lack thereof), I am not going to bother with a suggestion because I am not looking nor expecting any change be made to them. All I know is that as they are, *I* won't be wasting my money or resources making or selling them.

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

Wink Re: June 2010 Content Update Discussion Thread

I've been wacking on the Inhibition for 1/2 hour and it's at half health. Hope I get a cool reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    In fact it would be a good idea to go back and look at all the effects from trinkets, and change any 60 second effects to 15 minutes.
    Flat out, no. They are simply meant to be a replacement for the spells they mirror. Nothing more.

The Shield scrolls duration I will take into consideration.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Flat out, no. They are simply meant to be a replacement for the spells they mirror. Nothing more.

The Shield scrolls duration I will take into consideration.
    The trinkets/tablets/baubles/figurines, many of them don't replace spells at all. They had new cool effects. But many of the good effects are useless because they fade in 60 seconds.

Example 1: Alyssa's Enervated State V
    16% chances for your spells to do 50% damage.
    Duration 10 minutes.

Thats an undesireable effect you have a chance at getting. and it lasts 10 minutes. fair enough.

Example 2: Divine Protection
    Deals spirit damage to foes who attack you.
    Duration 1 minute.

That could be useful, but it fades too fast. make it ablative so that there is a maximum amount of effect, but at least give the player more time to utilitize it. At little tweaking could help make the trinkets worthwhile. As they are now, most people don't bother to loot them and if they do, they delete them (they don't pawn). A lot of work went into putting them in, it's a bit of a shame they aren't being used.

btw I'm not trying to sidetrack the scroll discussion. These are a nice interesting addition for which I see alot of potential. If the trinkets are fixed, they could have greater positive effects vs scrolls, but you take a chance since there is a chance to get something negative. The negative effects provide the balance in trinkets. The fact that you know what you are getting up front with scrolls is their advantage. Both have a place.
    Last edited by Guaran; June 27th, 2010 at 02:44 AM.

Thread Information