Thread: Map Problem

Default Map Problem

On my one machine, I can't place any map markers.

When I attempt to click the button to create a marker, I get the "choose marker" window, but it is blank.

While trying to update the game today, it adds this file to the queue, but then says "exception caught in blah blah blah" (can't remember the full message) and at the end, it says it wants to delete:

\Istaria\resources\interface\themes\default\defs\u imapwindow.def.auc

Is it supposed to be doing this?

I _did_ have a map mod on this computer awhile ago, but I deleted it... and I could have sworn it put everything in resources_override, so when I deleted the stuff out of Override, it should have reverted everything back to normal, right?

Any particular reason why this should be happening? Is there a way to fix it?

Default Re: Map Problem

With version 3.5 of the Map Pack, a modified UIMapWindow.def is installed in the resources folder (not in resources_override) and set to read only to prevent the patcher to delete it.

Quote Originally Posted by Katscratch View Post
    The Map Pack 3.5 (Updated to reflect new client and content)

Changes:
    Updates v3.5
    - Changed ClientPrefs_Common.def from
    string mapPath = "resources_override/resources/interface/maps/" to
    string mapPath = "resources_override/interface/maps/"to reflect client changes.
    [...]
    - Added a read-only version of the map pack UIMapWindow.def to Resources which overwrites the game version. If map does not show resource markers it means this file is NOT correct.
    - Moved Markers from \resources_override\interface\maps\Istaria to
    resources_override\interface\themes\default\textur es to reflect client directory structure changes.

You can either remove the read only setting in the file properties or just manually delete it then patch your game.
    Last edited by Firebrand; July 16th, 2010 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Added quote
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
    With version 3.5 of the Map Pack, a modified UIMapWindow.def is installed in the resources folder (not in resources_override) and set to read only to prevent the patcher to delete it.

You can either remove the read only setting in the file properties or just manually delete it then patch your game.
    Hmm, I guess that would explain it. My question is, why did they do it this way, instead of just simply dropping it in override? Ah well...

Because Virtirum made a change on the ResourceMeta.def file. The consequence of this was that it messed up with the previous Map Pack structure.
    Then, there were 2 possibilities:
    - adapt the Map Pack to the new settings (what Katscratch did); you can see all the changes that were done in the release notes. One of those were to put the UIMapWindows.def in the resources folder and set to read only to lure the patcher
    - modifiy the ResourceMeta.def to restore the previous client settings... and set it to read only as well to prevent its deletion by the patcher (the solution I have chosen in custom version of the Map Pack): this is one of the few files which don't work if added in resources_override.

In both cases, you would have got the same symptoms with the patcher, but on different files.
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

Ahh, I see.

I would love to use the Map Pack, but I find that it extends teleportation time by 30 seconds on the good, and 60 seconds plus on the bad.

Not to mention, if I were to dare have a map open and leave a town, where it switches from Town to Istaria, I get this huge lag spike that locks the game up for 5-ish seconds while it loads all that stuff. I'm running a system that has 8GB RAM, a Quad-Core Processor, and a decent video card, and it still gives me huge lag spikes.

If only we could find a way to make the thing load faster and not lag as much, that'd be awesome indeed.

Also, an Online HTML version of the Map Pack would seriously rock; I could use a laptop computer or something to view the locations of mobs, nodes, machines, and NPCs instead of lagging the game up.

Thread Information