Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird network problem

Default Weird network problem

every so often maybe once a week, all toons i have logged in will get dropped i will be unable to log in past the username and password page of the launcher because the sever can not authorize me and during this period i can not view the community website here...but in about 10 mins it will fix it self and i can log in again.

any one else experience this?

Default Re: Weird network problem

I'm seeing routing issues to Istaria servers. It's not just you, and... it's probably not limelight either, since I'm not having routing issues from a host on another ISP.

Are you on AT&T/SBC Global/Pacbell?
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Constantly, and tonight is 'communication' error, repeatedly.

im Comcast, when i cant load the website on my pc i am still able to load the website via my driod phone

Same thing happened to me at the same time as blue.. I'm on Comcast in the north east US. It was only the server and this website.

.... happened again lol.

by the way steel how does one see routing issue?

not trying to sound sarcastic, sounds like a good thing to learn.

Im comcast too and if I get dropped , I can connect via a proxy. Sounds like maybe limelight or something on the way does not like comcast.

Knossos

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Hasia
    by the way steel how does one see routing issue?

not trying to sound sarcastic, sounds like a good thing to learn.
    Run a traceroute:
    pop open a command window, run:
    tracert www.istaria.com
    Each line represents a router or "hop" between your computer and the destination host (www.istaria.com in this case). Due to firewalls or other network policy controls, your traceroute might stop before hitting www.istaria.com. If the traceroute makes it to *.phx*.llnw.net, you're probably good.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

this has been the worst night I can recall for this weird thing to happen most of the time this last for only 10 mins im onto an hour now with log in issues.

not sure if this means anything i had nine hops, probably a total of 230 ms if added them all up until i hit the limelight severs.

and with that im to frustrated to try and log in any more this night.
    Last edited by Blue Hasia; August 22nd, 2010 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knossos View Post
    Im comcast too and if I get dropped , I can connect via a proxy. Sounds like maybe limelight or something on the way does not like comcast.

Knossos
    Sorry above is not accurate - it is not proxy connection that works it is a VPN connection (SSL).

Knossos

Poop! I studied the output of my traceroutes when there were connectivity problems. It does appear to be a limelight issue.

Word from the Virtrium facility guys is that limelight knows about the problem. Hang in there, it'll get fixed eventually.

same problem here, no chance to play, after some minutes disconnect (error #91).
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

Right now the server is still undergoing Matinence, so no one can log in.

ThIs was not posted durning maintenance nor is this issue related to maintenance in any way

If its a consistent problem with certain ISPs then you can try using a different DNS server. Sometimes a ISP's DNS server will block certain sites from loading.

I've had my ISP (which uses an AT&T Worldnet DNS) block communication on .everquest2.com servers before (the game, patcher, and website) ... When it started blocking it, it could remain blocked for weeks. While your problem doesn't seem to be that bad a different DNS could improve response times across the board. Of course this depends on your location and where the DNS servers are located.

You can change the DNS server by connecting to your router and manually specifying a DNS primary and DNS secondary.

Google has a public DNS server: http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Another one that works is: http://www.opendns.com/ (but you'll need to register your IP address with them).

Connecting via a proxy would have similar results, as you would be using the proxy's DNS. Using a proxy would also change your external IP (well it would mask it) whereas simply changing the DNS would not.

It is reversable, simply remove the manually inputed DNS servers and the router will automatically obtain the DNS from the ISP.

Hatchling Dragon of Chaos, following the path of Lunus___ ___DRAG 38 / DCRA 55
    Ofnir, Sslik of Chaos. WAR 14 CLRC 10 MAGE 10 SPRT 14 / OUT 10 ARM 10

This specific incident was known to be the direct result of an "upstream peering interruption". It was reported fixed some 3-4 hours after my last post, so hopefully no more issues as of... a few days ago. Please report any network connectivity trouble as a new issue.

No DNS problems this time around, just routing.

As an aside, be careful of who you use as your DNS server. Google is probably okay, though others (including opendns) may see fit to return an IP that isn't actually the one associated with the hostname in the query. Also, be aware that any DNS server you use may be logging your queries -- effectively logging your internet usage.

grr this issue is happing again tonight. so if i here you right i need to log in my router and change my dns server... ill google for more info later on how to do that

Uhm... don't mess with your DNS settings unless you get "host not found" errors. "Connection timed out", slow connections, and network lag have nothing to do with DNS, and messing with your DNS settings can introduce additional problems that make troubleshooting more difficult.

As far as the client goes, it does not use DNS. The launcher and patcher use DNS to locate the Istaria authentication and patch servers respectively, but once you see the game splash screen, DNS is no longer needed (and has worked so far up to this point). If you get that far, by all means do not change your settings.

would be nice if we can get an official response on this issue it is happening quite often now where i get booted from game, cant load website and cant log in past user name and password for launcher.

... welcome to my world... every first attempt at a new address will always fail. It must get better the more that address is used since the game is playable for the most part.

I'm ready to go home lol...

Rakku
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information