Thread: Possible means to an end for crafting

Default Possible means to an end for crafting

I am not sure if others experience the issue that I am seeing, but I am quite sure I am not alone.

I for one, am working on grinding out the crafting schools and find that there are places where I would really like to find a "station" nearby. What I mean by that is for example.....

A couple of weeks ago I was grinding out the Mithril at Wolf's Paw, was doing pretty well but was gone for a week. Well on the week I was out I found that the ownership of the plot I used to use changed hands. With the plot changing hands, the new owner decided to destroy the blacksmith shop and closed off what used to be the open silos for people to use. This I have no issue with...but it is extremely difficult to work on mithril now, at least to grind out to level a school with.

Anyways, I was pondering an idea on what could be a suggestion or idea possible to resolve this. In other games I have played, a player with a particular skill could carry a repair anvil for the group to repair armor with so all did not have to port to town to get this done.

I was wondering if it would be possible for people of particular schools or skills to be able to carry like a portable smelter, anvil, etc, either for their use only, or for a small area use. Now I know that this could be used as a crutch for not running to a plot to get bars, etc made...but if a person were to use that "portable smelter" instead of being able to use their cargo disk, I think that this would aleviate some of the problems.

I also know that this does not allow a person to grind out....for example I am doing blacksmith right now. I am making mithril bars and then constructing and deconstructing metal tools...

What this would allow me and others to do would be to make a certain number of bars that I could carry, run to an anvil, construct and deconstruct....without having to worry about finding a silo to store or dropping off at vault.

I am quite sure there are flaws with this, but was wondering how others though of such a thing and or if this was even possible.

I believe that the ability to either use a cargo disk or a "portable item" would be a decent way to go.
    16 100 crafting classes....getting closer

Default O Razor

A more simple idea would be to have a NPC Smelter/Anvil placed nearby the various fields that are not riddled with enemies. You would still WANT a plot for maximum yield and for crafting above your level (due to the 0 bonus from the NPC structures) but at least you could function.

For many places this is already the case but there needs to be a few more. Silver is another example in the fields near Chiconis where there exists a smelting/smithing station but it is lacking machines.

It would be nice also if those plots nearest the resources did not often cost a gold or more. I would love to buy a non-guild Plot but after Forms and Tele Fees I never have the money for such a thing. Been considering dropping my plot Sub for a normal one until I get the Coin for something better. Though that could take awhile with the Trophy quests slashed so drastically.
    "Nothing Is Never Not... everything is never."-Vacuus, Lord of Nothing

Default Re: Possible means to an end for crafting

More dev-placed machines in the fields is NOT going to happen. You want fixed stationary machines near your fields? Buy the nearest plot and build one. Thats a big part of what Istaria is about.

But, the idea of a mobile machine is interesting... Course, it would need to have trade-offs. Like, taking up the cargo disk slot and having quite a bit of bulk. Wouldn't necessarily be useful for the solo crafter, but might be very useful to anyone doing group crafting. Dunno, lots of things to consider to balance it.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Bandishier, on Order shard, Fandarel has an expert smithy and all open silos at Last Stand. There's another smithy being built by Vici a little closer to the mithril mine, along the road between Last Stand and Mithril's Anvil.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

When I got into crafting on Chaos shard I ran into the same problem. I got around it by leveling all the building schools to 30. This doesn’t take all that long. You can then buy a plot near the field you would like to work and throw up a beginner shop and a few Tier I silos in no time. When you are though, tear it down for the novians and move to the next field. I’ve done this 4 times on Chaos and once on Order. It’s a tremendous time saver.

I understand what you are saying, I currently have 11 Crafting schools at level 100 and working on the rest. My intention with the post was to see the plausibility for an option of turning raw resources into workable items without significant time delay in running to plot or Bank.

I have a guild plot so the option to buy and build one of the world plots is not an option....

I just thought that the idea of a "personal" portable device was a fairly novel idea.
    16 100 crafting classes....getting closer

Thread Information