Thread: The Rescue of Ash by Flame

Default The Rescue of Ash by Flame

At last, Maekrux knew the truth. His grandson had failed in his quest to stop Maurger, and his student had been responsible for Ausixen’s capture. Maekrux was many things, but he was not powerless; thus, to feel so when his family was in danger was a burden and a blow to him. This, he thought, must have been how his family felt when he was captured. But their rash decisions killed him. His hasty decisions might do worse.

Maekrux had a plan. He had been preparing for such an event since he had regained his senses, and Ausixen began to grow angry, aloof, and prepare to ascend.

The first step was already complete: fool Maurger into believing he was a hermit, retired from all society, and uninterested in justice for crimes against him. Now that Maurger had eggs about to hatch, the time was right for the next step. Maekrux needed help.

He reached out and contacted an old friend. “Mm, Nyoko. How are you this day?”

“Well enough, a'na. This is surprising,” Nyoko replied.

“Oh? That I should speak to an old friend? Or that I should speak to anyone? It seems I am oft reclusive of late.”

She chuckled in her melodic manner. “Well, nieo have da been the only one. Iea am just surprised that nieo would come to Iea. Usually ien just happen to meet.”

“Mm, well… there are circumstances,” Maekrux admitted. “If you aren't busy, I'd love a visitor at my lonely valley.”

“Iea would be honored. Iea shall be there shortly.”
    “I shall await your arrival on my terrace,” the blue phoenix said.

He climbed out of his lair and rested on the rocky overhang, surveying all of Harton Valley. It had grown so quiet there, with only a single gnome living in the valley below; Chioxin had passed, and the fate of the other lair was no better: left dormant, unwanted. In a way, it was fine by him; he liked to say all of Harton Valley was his. But it was lonely at times.

Maekrux looked up as his guest arrived. Nyoko drifted in and landed gracefully on the rock, fanning her wings before she folded them along her form. She gave a sort of hum as greeting and smiled. Maekrux stretched his wings and smiled back at her. “Ah, hello Nyoko. I must admit, I wish to ask something of you, but I wanted it to be here, at the privacy of my lair.”

“Ae is da a problem at all. Iea was merely watching k'iea aorban.”
    Maekrux perked up at the mention of the children, and then looked downcast. He had failed as a father, and now his only waking family member was in the personal hell of a monster. “Well, the matter I ask of you is dire and requires some risk. You know my grandson, Ausixen. He went missing some time ago, more completely than he ever did when training. I had hoped that was all it was, but I learned quite a bit to the contrary...”

Nyoko frowned deeply. “Tell Iea? Iea know aeo was looking into k'aeo nieon. Iea take ae, something has happened.”

Maekrux nodded. “Ae has. Ausixen was tricked by Amalteah into going to Maurger's lair, and he was ambushed and captured. He suffered as I did... and he is he no longer. I cannot believe Amalteah would join him...” Had he failed as a teacher as well? A secret, self-hated part of him prayed to Drulkar he would not fail this time. “He is there, tending to the eggs that she and he laid. And, potentially, others.”

“Amalteah is Maurger's mate after all. Iea would da be surprised if aea joined aeo,” Nyoko said.

“She wasn't always,” Maekrux said before looking to the horizon a moment. “In any event. She is overseeing him now. He has Maurger within him, and so he cannot leave, but Amalteah has control of him through that.”

“D'na... So, Maurger has da changed...” She frowned as her earfins drooped, her eyes turned to her feet.

“If he has changed, Nyoko, he has gotten better at what he does.”

She shook her head before lifting it again. “How may Iea help?”
    “I need someone to rescue my grandson. If I act directly, there are consequences. Not only will I become a target once more and potentially be prevented from playing my role in this tragedy, there is also what he stole from me when he killed me. A foreign power that he made a part of himself. All I was able to do was keep the key to it.”

Maekrux thought back on that power. When Maurger had killed him almost a year ago, he had taken latent energy from the Blue Phoenix's time as a living conduit of pure magic. Maurger’s power would be truly immense if he were able to wield it, but Maekrux’s soul had maintained the keystone of that power; without it, the black could not benefit from that energy. Should Maekrux attack directly and die, or be captured, or possibly even impact him in some errant way, the power would be unlocked. He was unsure who might stop Maurger then.

The exact detail of that power, however, he kept hidden. He always preferred to maintain the Prime Barrier, even if he himself had dissolved it. “However, I have a plan.”

Nyoko tilted her head. “Tell Iea. Iea will help however Iea can, though that may da be much.”

“I will pull Amalteah away in deep discussion. She was my student, and so we have much to talk about… while I am doing that, I need you to sneak into Maurger's lair in Sak'tal - the furthest in the back - and find Ausixen. My source tells me that he tends to hover at the entrance, the furthest he can get from the lair, so it should not be too hard to find him.”

Nyoko nodded slowly. “Iea see... Iea do wonder, by... Iea guess Iea shall call ae imprinting for lack of better word, onto k'aeo victims... if Maurger leaves a part of aeo Song behind...that should be easy enough to separate and cut out, returning Ausixen to normal...which would help in the escape.” Nyoko referred to the goo that Maurger used to control his victims, though she did not know it.

Of course, Maekrux had prepared for that as well. “When you find him, use this.” He handed her a charged exquisite orb. “It has a charge of primal energy. It may make Ausixen a little loopy, but it should disrupt the darkness within him long enough for him to escape to here and to be restrained. To cut it out would be very dangerous to both of you while you're there. Maurger knows what happens to that which he leaves behind.”

Nyoko furrowed her eyeridges. “Iea see. Do nieo know if Ausixen is any part of k'aeoself?”

Maekrux tilted his head. “What do you mean?”

“Iea mean...how to explain this. Would Ausixen come with Iea of k'aeo free will, or is k'aeo will Maurger's? Will the orb be enough?”

Maekrux nodded. “Ah, I see. He would not come, unless you use that orb. His will is his own, but his body is not.” He lowered his head and tilted it slightly, tapping the base of his neck. “This is where Maurger controlled me. He prevents the mind from working, but it is not like the sorcerers of Tazoons or Kirascant. It is of the body, somehow. As long as that goo within is disrupted, he will be able to act as normal.”

Nyoko nodded. “So aeo will recognize that Iea come to help. That will make things easier then. A'na. Iea will do this. Nieo must take care too though. Amalteah... seems to be, well... what is the word... latched onto Maurger. Iea would da trust aea.”

Maekrux sighed at that topic. “A'na. Do not. I know she is not controlled like all the others before her. She has chosen her path of her own free will. She… loves him. But I shall take precautions that she does not trick me as she did Ausixen.”

“G'rei. Ien have lost enough g'rei Dragons, without having to lose another.”

Maekrux agreed. "With any luck, we shall get another back."

“With hope.”

Maekrux nodded and murred thoughtfully. “The only thing we can't be sure of is where Maurger will be in all of this. Take great care while you're doing this...” He paused a moment. No, it would not be enough to leave things to chance. He would have to risk the sister if the eggs were not enough to distract the black. So the time would have to be just right…

“Iea will. Besides, for all Maurger knows, perhaps Iea agree with aeo. Though Iea do find aeo ways twisted. Aeo harms the Song and Iea da like that at all,” Nyoko said while Maekrux was thinking.

“It may be best to wait until his brood has hatched. He will be distracted by his indoctrination of those hatchlings, and might miss you and Ausixen as you escape,” he said.

“Can ien wait that long though?” Nyoko asked.
    “We have little recourse. When Maurger felt threatened in my lair, he killed me and the egg I had growing within me, and then escaped into the cracks in the wall.” Maekrux shuddered at the memory. “Maurger will not kill Ausixen... no, he would rather exploit him, I'm afraid.”

“Iea am da worried about aeo killing aeo...more like, doing more damage.” She furrowed her eyeridges. “Iea think aeo reach is further then ien think and if ien can free one... that at least is a step forward.” Nyoko had a point about the damage.

Maekrux, however, had recovered. He trusted his grandson would as well. “I am just cautious about acting in haste with Maurger. He acts erratically whenever he feels threatened. Even if he did birth a cache of eggs, those hatchlings-to-be should not be subject to death; I've no doubt he would kill them if he needed to, or felt he needed to.”

Maurger was a spiteful creature. He didn’t have to kill Maekrux before he was chased from the phoenix’s lair, but he did. Doubtless, he would kill his grandson and other hostages, even his own children, in the same way should he be directly confronted.

Maekrux was wrong, but he had no way of knowing that.
    Nyoko frowned deeply. “So why da take the eggs as well? Iea da like to think of needless death.”

“From what I have been told, he is with them constantly. He wishes to be a good father - laughable, in a sinister way. There is no way we can hope to recover those eggs without Maurger being dead, and we have to do that away from those eggs, or he will use them to protect himself.”

Nyoko growled softly to herself. “But - to leave aen...”
    Maekrux shook his head. “I understand... believe me, I do. But he will not harm them unless he is threatened. And I know that Amalteah took at least some nurturing instinct from her time as my student. It would be better to play Maurger's game against him.”

“Perhaps da harm aen in body... one thing at a time though. Ausixen first.”

“A’na. Once he is free and recovered, we shall make the next move.” He paused a moment. “I am sorry to ask this of you, Nyoko. It is dangerous and you have hatchlings to think of.”

Nyoko shook her head. “Iea have a responsibility, Maekrux elder. Iea am thinking about k'iea hatchlings in this. If Iea allow such things to continue, how can aen live safely in an already dangerous world. To da be able to trust anyone... Iea will da have aen live like that. Count Iea in, with anything nieo need help with.”

Maekrux thanked her, and the two discussed a time longer about the state of the two factions, growing suspicious of Valkoth and Semeneth, and what Maurger might have done. Eventually, Nyoko left and Maekrux returned to being a hermit. Now, he would have to wait. Again, he gave a silent prayer to Drulkar that his grandson would be freed without losing the fire in his soul.
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

As you might have guessed, Maekrux needs to get Ausixen out of Maurger's lair. In this part, we really get to see some of how Maurger controls his victims and the controls that he has over Ausixen specifically.

Maurger had a weakness for the white. Maekrux knew why. It would be a risk for her and for him, but if the plan were to go successfully, he would need her help as well. And so when she informed him that the eggs had hatched, Maekrux set his plan into motion.

Calling Nyoko and SombreNeige to his lair, he temporarily went over the plan of escape, telling each their role. Nyoko was to free Ausixen at all costs. Sombre was to assist and distract if necessary. And Maekrux was to lead away his grandson’s jailor.

Nyoko and Sombre took flight, Sombre leading the way to the lair of the black. It was a short journey south of Chiconis, but their minds were focused and their hearts were beating. What if Maurger came out? What if Ausixen could not be freed? What if…

Ausixen sat at the edge of the lair’s threshold, tantalizingly close to freedom. She looked up with bleary eyes. She had been responsible for keeping the new whelplings in line while the other two went hunting. They were too young to remember her as she took care of them; they had only hatched but a few days ago. They would soon know her to be their nanny and pet both: a creature whose only job was to protect and nurture, but never to own or lay claim. Her egg had not hatched yet. And even if it did, it would not longer be hers.

Sombre landed first before the lair. “Hmm, is anybody else there inside?” she asked her.

Ausixen looked up at her confused, then shook her head and said, “Maurger is inside with his hatchlings.” Sombre directed Nyoko to land, seeing that they should be safe for a short time. “What are you doing back here, Sombre?”

She didn’t answer the purple. She was looking at how miserable the wretched female looked. “What happened? Are you sick?” As she spoke, Nyoko landed behind her, humming a soft melody.

“I'm not sick, Iea just.. there's not much hope in me anymore.” Ausixen looked at Nyoko with blurry eyes. “What is Nyoko doing here?”

Again, Somber didn’t answer. They were unsure whether or not Maurger could see through Ausixen’s eyes with his control over her. Somber let herself become the center of attention. “Where there's life there's hope,” she said. Nyoko stepped closer, her long tail reaching back into her scalepack. The long tail wrapped around the orb and drew it out, holding it gently as she approached Ausixen. “Did k'iea brother forbid iea to enter by any mean?”

It was hard for Ausixen to focus when it came to matters Maruger didn’t feel were necessary. Conversation with other dragons was one of those matters. Already exhausted, Ausixen decided not to try. “No, Sombre, he didn't. Iea think he hasn't set the traps against you either.” She closed her eyes and ignored Nyoko. The other dragon was likely a mirage anyway, a memory tormenting him. Nyoko had believed in Maurger. She wouldn’t be here now.

“Wait… maybe you could tell Iea about the egg... the different one, niea know,” Sombre said.

Ah yes, Ausixen thought. He knew the egg of which she spoke: the horrific spiked egg that had been born in blood. It had kept its shadow power. The egg smelled of sulfur, and being near it gave a sense of dread. Even its hatching gave a sense of fear; it had clawed its way through the walls of its egg, covered in blood, as if in the egg there were two lives, but only one was allowed to leave. The horned crest of the hatchling narrowed over his silver eyes, distrusting of all he saw. The other hatchings had been given food, but he took his. And yet, he had not harmed his siblings – a better start than his father, however inauspicious.

That hatchling, Osearir, the spiked one, now rested safely in the corners of the lair, ever watchful of his sire.

“The spiked one hatched,” was all that Ausixen could say. Nyoko paused her approach, curious about their topic.

“And is it as iea feared... one as Maurger?” Somber asked. She moved her head as if to hurry Nyoko along.

“He is named Osearir. He did not attack his sisters, so Iea do not think he will be as his father. Iea cannot know in so soon a time,” Ausixen reported. His breath was slow and even.

Nyoko stepped up beside Ausixen and held out the orb to her. She furrowed her eyeridges as she activated the orb. Ausixen shook and shuddered violently as the magic of the orb flowed into her, stunning the black ooze at her neck. She stood up soon after, looking at Nyoko in anger.

“What was that for?” she immediately demanded, but suddenly swayed a bit, woozy and confused. “I haven't... I can move the way I want..?”

Nyoko swiftly moved up beside Ausixen, steadying the purple’s form with her small one. “Niea alright now, a'na.”

Ausixen raised a claw to her head, feeling rather ill. “We - we have to get out of here before he comes...” As the blackness within her neck writhed, she could feel Maurger begin to move. “Quickly! Go!” she exclaimed. All three immediately took to flight and flew as far as the end of Sak’tal. Upon the stone, Ausixen had to rest, panting hard. Her body had atrophied somewhat in her incarceration, as she had not been allowed to fly. Sombre and Nyoko landed beside her.

“Are we far enough? Do niea need to remove this... part of him?” Somber asked, ignorant of the difficulty that would entail.

“Where... where are we to go?” Ausixen asked. She was running on instinct, but as her mind unclouded, even for a brief moment, she knew only one dragon could have set this up, and that he must have thought through all of it.

Nyoko watched Ausixen carefully, a soft hum rising from her as they landed. Though Nyoko must have known what Maurger had done to the once-male Ausixen, she did not realize how confusing it was until she saw the purple like this, broken, defeated, exhausted, and weak. She nosed Ausixen gently. “Iea think ien should go back to Maekrux Elder's lair, a'na. Can nieo make ae? Otherwise k'iea lair is near,” she said. Sombre agreed with the destination.

Ausixen squeezed her eyes shut as the pain in the back of her neck returned. “It would be best to go through South March. It should be near enough. Le- let's hurry.” The group flew as fast as they could around the mountain, the pain in Ausixen’s neck growing ever stronger. It was fear that pushed Ausixen from the lair, but each meter further from it and her once-master, Maurger, made her more uncomfortable. It wasn’t any sense of loyalty that bound her to Maurger – least, none of her own free decision – but there was guilt that the ooze began to exploit. Wasn’t there… something she had left behind?

They landed again at the travel gate of South March. Ausixen paused again, the control beginning to take hold. Maurger had become more powerful than Maekrux had anticipated, and the stun was wearing off long before expected. “One little effort more. Iea know iea can do ae,” Sombre said.

Ausixen swayed a bit in pain, one claw on the back of her neck. “Really hurting... just a bit more…” she told herself, before plunging into the travel gate and returning to Harton Valley.

“Ausixen… why do you run from me?” Maurger’s voice came. Ausixen’s eyes were shut. She couldn’t see him, but she knew he was there, right behind her. “Have I not given you everything that you have earned? For your hatred, I have given you chains of repentance. For your forgotten family, I have given you one anew. For your wish of my death, I have given you life. Life, Ausixen. Can you leave that life behind?”

“No, Maurger, Iea…” Ausixen shook her head rapidly, still not looking.
    “What shall happen to your egg now that you are gone? Will your hatchling never knew their true mother’s love? Will they be taught to hate you for abandoning them? Oh yes, I remember, Ausixen, I remember… kor parents abandoned you. Nidhogg first, kor father, abandoned your mother… and then kor mother, Aerioch, abandoned you…”

“Stop it!” Ausixen screamed.

But Maurger never learned self restraint, for he too had no parents to guide him. “I was always there. Even now, I am there with you, Ausixen. You were my big brother, and now, my big sister. You have a home, a loving home and a clutch of hatchlings that you must help to support. You must help me create a better world, so that your hatred, and my hatred, never again taint this land. Would that not be better, Ausixen? You know this to be true. Open your eyes. Show me where you are, and I will come get you.”

Ausixen buried her head into the ground and opened her eyes. The grass of Harton Valley was no different than the grass of Heart, or of Chiconis, or of the Eastern Plains. Being able to see granted a slight reprieve as the black ooze recovered, taking hold of her nerves again. If it had them all, her body would again become a puppet, and she would immediately return to that black home in Sak’tal. “Iea can't.. Iea can't make it... Quickly! Knock me unconscious! If you can fly me into the lair, it should be enough...”

Nyoko was hesitant, but Sombre knew what Maurger was capable of, and what he must have been doing to Ausixen at that moment. Without hesitation, she tail whipped Ausixen on the back of the head, right where the ooze resided, knocking the dragon completely unconscious. Ausixen slumped down, at last in some form of rest. “We may pull her to the landing pad. We're two adults,” she said.

Nyoko nodded slowly as she gripped onto Ausixen, being careful with the dragoness. The two dragons helped the purple up, each flapping their wings in tandem, the dead weight of the purple’s body a great strain on their wings and Primewind. “Think Ausixen need to lay off the pigs, a'na!” she said, half out of breath. At last, the two landed them upon Maekrux’s terrace, and caught their breath.

Xeffer sat on the terrace, unaware of all the events that had transpired. She was just visiting the lair of her old teacher by coincidence. Xeffer blinked slowly and peered at her company, as if only just noticing they were there. Her head was tilted in a curious manner, but she regarded them with a rather bland stare. “Ah, hello... Ehm, what's with the floppy Dragon?”

“Some.. well.. iea may say it’s a family affair,” Sombre said, as if it explained everything.

Maekrux landed just as Nyoko was about to speak further with Xeffer. She hummed at him softly. “Ien got aeo... aea... uhm...”

Maekrux wore a dark countenance, but it lightened upon seeing his grandson. “Thank Drulkar... Let us get him downstairs.” He placed Ausixen over his back and lifted him up, nodding to Xeffer as he passed.

Xeffer blinked again, glancing from one dragon to the other, utterly confused. “Er... Perhaps I should take my lounging elsewhere, yes?”

“It is fine, Xeffer,” Maekrux said, before disappearing inside. Nyoko and Sombre followed, leaving the perplexed black dragon on Maekrux’s terrace.
    "Resurgam!"

With Ausixen safely back in the company of his grandfather, his wounds begin to show. I know it is a bit long with a lot of dialogue, but I'm trying to be more accurate to the event if I can be. There's still one more post to go before this part of the storyline is tied up, which should be less dialogue and more introspection and action.

Maekrux took his grandson down into the guest quarter. It had gone unused since his last student had left. He had converted the orange crystals of the bed area for this situation; after placing the unconscious body of his grandson behind the crystals, he retreated behind them and activated them. Powerful prime energy traveled from the floor to the ceiling, locking Ausixen within.

Nyoko and Somber followed behind. “Iea think more drastic measures are necessary...” Nyoko said, looking at the shallow breathing of Ausixen. Who could say what horrors she dreamt? “The orb worked... but Iea da know how well.”

“It was only supposed to stun. The actual removal will require Frall's help,” Maekrux said.

“What about until then? Ien just can da keep aeo...aea...Ausixen unconscious,” Nyoko said.

“I don't like having to keep him locked up, but it will only be for a short time,” Maekrux said. The blue looked at his grandson with worry.

Nyoko tilted her head, still watching Ausixen. “And Maurger...? When aeo finds out?”

“He believes he has already won, I am fairly sure. Even he would think twice about attacking this place, and he has no moral ground to take Ausixen back.”

“If nieo are sure...”
    “Ieo am. If he was going to attack me, he would have done so by now,” Maekrux said. He turned back to the dragons. “Thank you, Nyoko. And you as well, Sombre.”

Nyoko furrowed her eyeridges, her tail flicking with uncertainty, but finally she nodded. “Anything to help, Maekrux Elder.”

Maekrux sighed as he looked back to his grandson. “Even after the control is removed, he will have a long road ahead. I hope that Maurger does not accelerate his plans in the meantime.”

“Yes but iea may take... some protections for k'iea eggs... he may avenge from me that way...” Sombre said. Ausixen seemed to twitch in her sleep.

“You are always free to bring them here, Sombre. Things are not the same as when you were born here,” the blue said.

“Hmm, maybe a place with lava would be better than the water room of k’a'mea,” Sombre said.

Maekrux nodded. “I hope it was warm enough, else your eggs might not hatch.”

“Iea… Iea know but... Iea swear Iea d'na choose the room for that purpose,” Somber said.

Maekrux was not so sure he believed her, but he said nothing of the sort. Even if it were true, given the nature of things, it might even be excusable. “What will you do now, Nyoko?” he asked.

“Iea...have da decided yet. Iea do know, for now, Iea would prefer if Maurger think Iea am a friend. Ae may help ien in the future,” she said.

Maekrux agreed. In fact, he had been counting on it. “Did it seem as if Maurger had any idea it was you that helped?”

“Iea think SombreNeige has kept aeo well occupied. And Iea made sure to stay more in the background so aeo focus was on SombreNeige instead of Iea. Ae should be fine,” she said.

Maekrux was relieved to hear that, but he knew that Maurger would not simply accept Sombre alone had done this. There would still have to be further disinformation, but for now, that could wait.

“If ae is alright... Iea would like to stay with Ausixen a bit, just to watch over aea. Iea will stay out of sight if ae is necessary...” Nyoko said.

“A'na... very well then. I don't think Maurger can see through his eyes while the suppression bars are up.” He motioned with his head to the energy bars. “I should go fetch Frall so we can get it removed immediately.” Nyoko thanked him before he excused himself from the room, moving quickly to fetch Frall.

Nyoko moved closer to the cell and lowered herself into a crouch. She hummed softly to herself, her eyes closing to slits as she watched the sleeping form. It was hard to say how much time had passed. Both dragonelles were quiet during that time. At last, Ausixen began to stir a bit. She shook her head, rubbing the bump on the back of her neck. Nyoko piqued her earfins fully, her head raising.

Ausixen slowly came around, lifting her head to look around at her surroundings. “I'm.. I'm home...” She could not believe it. She had been freed from the nightmare, the torment, the lack of control. But not the shame. Not the regret.

Nyoko smiled softly as she hummed louder for Ausixen then spoke. “A'na.”

Ausixen blinked. So it was not just a mirage; indeed, she had rescued her. “Nyoko? I did not think you would have been the one to help me.”

“Why da? Iea do take action sometimes,” she said with a chuckle.
    “Last we met, it seemed that you liked Maurger, or at least was willing to trust him.”

“And Nyoko is not dumb as Maurger may have thought,” Somber said from where she sat in the corner. The warm light of the library behind her made her white scales shimmer through the bars. Ausixen nodded to her too, knowing she also played a role in her rescue.

“Iea do wonder if that is a popular thought about Iea,” Nyoko said with a smile to the white. She looked back to Ausixen before she continued. “Iea can da allow such things as aeo is doing.”

“He bested me so easily... I thought that I could defeat him, but Iea lost...” Ausixen laid her head back down. For her, it was already over. Maurger had won. He had taken everything from her, even that burning hate that had driven her when she was a him. “No hate is left in me for him. Just... nothing I can do.”

“Perhaps...that was kor nieo...niea...oh bother, nien mistake....thinking nieo could defeat aeo,” Nyoko said with a hum.

Ausixen, in her depression, misunderstood what Nyoko really meant. “A'na... Aeo can't be defeated. Aeo beat my grandfather, now me, and now my egg…”

Nyoko snorted. “Now that, Iea hardly believe.”
    “Iea wonder if ae will hatch,” the purple said, ignoring her optimism.
    “Only time aeo will truly when is if nien all give up. Battles are won and lost, the wars are da decided on aen.”

“Look at me, Nyoko. I'm not even male anymore. My war is over. I lost before I even began...”

Nyoko stamped her paw in anger. Where was the purple she had seen, challenging the black even as he surrounded himself in the tapestry of civility? “That is enough of that, Ausixen. Truthfully, what is defeating niea is niea. And what is so wrong with being female! Suits Iea just fine! And Iea am d'na weaker then any other. What niea need to do is take a look at kor niea self and learn how to handle such situations and benefit from aen.”

Ausixen looked at her confused. She had never seen that powerful side from Nyoko. Still, even were she to overcome this pain, it would not change the physical control Maurger still had. “And what about my egg?”

“Ien will worry about that when the time comes. In the condition niea are in right now, niea can da help anyone. Perhaps that is an incentive to get stronger and free.”

“The fact is... you may fight and risk k'iea life for the egg... and you're lucky because ae is something Iea may not do anymore, even if he also has a hatchling from iea,” Sombre added.

“Iea wasn't able to help anyone. But niea are right, there isn't anything wrong with being female. It's what Iea am now,” the purple said. Her fate had been decided for her. Maurger had been too strong. The suppression field might keep the ooze in check, but she could still feel him there, pulsing against her veins and nerves, threatening to take away her will again.

“Ien are fighting, Ausixen. SombreNeige, Maekrux Elder, and even Iea, in k'iea own way. Perhaps niea could da help anyone before. Da see why that is stopping niea now. Niea could help ien against aeo,” Nyoko tried.

“What could Iea possibly do? Iea was supposed to be a Champion of Drulkar. Supposed to...” Ausixen trailed off. What she really wanted to do was cry, but what little male sensibility left within her demanded that she not. She had trained exclusively to fight, to be the one who would defeat and kill Maurger. What had she become, but a broken husk?

“So, as a champion, niea will give up after defeat.” Nyoko snorted lightly, trying to goad some rage from the fallen Champion.

But as Ausixen had said, that hate had left her. She stared at her claws, grown dull from digging the monster’s lair. She tried to make Nyoko understand how she felt, rather than take what Nyoko said into her heart. “What do I have left to fight for? Revenge? Is that good enough? It doesn't stir my heart anymore.”

“How about kor niea egg? For others? Revenge is something that disappears after a while,” Nyoko said.

Sombre nodded. “As long as the egg didn't hatch, the hatchling may be saved... Iea think Amalteah will not let him hurt the hatchlings. He will need time to build their personalities, and we have that time to save them.”

“Iea appreciate that you are trying to help, but it's too late for Iea. Just leave me be...” Ausixen tried. Their words were like the nails to the coffin she had failed to build for Maurger.

“Unfortunately, Iea can da do that.” Nyoko smiled. “Da in k'iea nature.”

Ausixen chuckled bitterly. “Iea hope when you follow your nature, it will lead you to a better place than Iea.”

“Da know yet. Ae has gotten Iea in plenty of trouble to be sure, but ae is who Iea am. K'iea Song is da sung, neither is kor niea,” she said.

Ausixen huffed. “My song? Bitter disharmony and filled with sadness.”
    “Funny, Iea da remember niea telling Iea niea could hear kor niea Song. Niea must be mistaken then, because that is da what Iea hear when listening.”

Ausixen changed the subject. She could not bear it any longer. “Sombre, what are you going to do about Osearir?”

“Iea d'na know…” the white admitted. “Iea will try to meet aeo and free aeo from k'iea brother... but Iea am not free to take all risks because Iea have two more eggs to take care of. Maurger stole iea k'iea ability to rush in the fight because Iea now will always think about those... but that d'na mean Iea am unable to fight. Iea only have to act more as a Helian.”

Ausixen sighed. “You might have some time. He doesn't seem to trust Maurger.”

“Iea am glad to hear what niea say...”

There was a pause. Why hadn’t they taken her egg with her? But she knew why. Maurger was with it and the others, watching the hatchlings play, waiting for her egg to hatch. That logic didn’t make it any easier. It was a strange situation, yes – she was once male, and to have an egg of her own was something she thought she would never experience. But she had been denied even that. Left behind, what would become of it?

“I wonder what my hatchling would be like? I wonder if it will hatch... Iea don't care about Maurger anymore. I just want to know what will become of ae...” Ausixen said.

“Be sure the egg will hatch,” somber said. Ausixen didn’t know if that was a comfort or another pain.

“Ien will do k'ien best to preserve those hatchlings,” Nyoko said.
    “And how do you plan on doing that, Nyoko?” Ausixen asked.

“Iea was thinking...if Iea can get Maurger to trust Iea enough, Iea can get close to aen...perhaps influence...or remove aen,” she said.

“Nothing is more important to him than those hatchlings. That's why we had to produce them... I don't think you'll be able to take them away,” Ausixen said. Indeed, who knows what kind of horrors Maurger might do were anything to happen to his beloved clutch?

“Then perhaps Iea can influence aen. Subtle influence can sometimes be better,” Nyoko said.

Ausixen chuckled bitterly at the comment. “At least niea learned from him.” Nyoko didn’t seem to understand what Ausixen had meant. But it was subtle influence in the Academy that had allowed him his position to act today. The two spoke a bit more, but Ausixen wasn’t paying attention. Her head hurt as the ooze still tried to take over the purple’s body. “Iea don't know, Iea just don't know.” She placed a foreclaw over her eyes and tried to think of nothing.

“Da worry,” Nyoko said with a soothing hum. Even as she did, she frowned. She was amazed how much she didn't know about Maurger.

Maekrux lumbered through the entrance to the guest quarter. Nyoko moved aside as he did. “Frall will be here soon,” he announced. He smiled softly, looking at Ausixen. “I see that Ausixen is awake.”

“G-grandfather?” she said, just peeking through her claws.
    “Ien were just speaking a bit,” Nyoko said.
    “How is he?”
    “Aea attitude...could use much improving, though aea seems well,” Nyoko said.
    “Maybe he is a bit too stubborn,” Sombre added.

“I was much the same way after my ordeal with Maurger. I expected as much,” Maekrux said. Ausixen turned away. It was obvious that she didn’t want to be seen by her grandfather. So much of her life had been given and nurtured by Maekrux; to have the ancient see her so twisted and lost was only further shame. They spoke of spying on Maurger for a time before Sobmre excused herself.

“I need rest. I’ll bring my eggs to safety, test if scrying spells work through shadows or if Iea have to stay in them, and check if Maurger’s traps can catch me... and if it can't be used, find something else... lots of work to do...” she said. The two said goodbye, but Ausixen did not even thank her as she left.

“Grandson, do not worry about things right now. Just focus on recovery. We'll remove the control soon,” Maekrux said.

“Iea can't recover from this,” she said. Nyoko snorted, obviously irritated by Ausixen’s insistence on self-defeat.

Maekrux nuzzled Nyoko gently to calm her. His perspective was perhaps a bit more tolerant. After all, he had been through this once before, not only himself, but his once-son Kaevaeri. The memory was a painful one, but it brought him strength. Ausixen would learn this skill, too. “Let him have some time. You can't expect all wounds to heal the moment they are exposed to light.”

“Iea know, Maekrux Elder. Iea just da like k'aea attitude. There is a difference between healing...and giving up.” Nyoko was right. But Maekrux knew this, too.

“Do you know what Ausixen means in common?” Maekrux suddenly asked.
    Ausixen sighed at that, but Nyoko tilted her head in question.
    “It means Phoenix. I named him that many years ago, when he, fresh from the egg and before he had even met his mother, wandered into New Trismus. And he is my grandson, Nyoko, so I know that he will live up to the name I gave him.” Maekrux looked proudly to his grandson. “But a phoenix must go through a period of ash before they rise again. He will find his spark, Nyoko. Just have patience.”

“Iea hope so. For now... Iea feel like beating k'aeo head with a paw. Maybe knock some sense into aea,” Nyoko said.

Ausixen muttered, “Nothing you could do to me would be as hurtful or wrong as what aeo did...”

She chuckled softly. “Da understand at all. Da want to hurt niea. Just want to make sure niea da do anything foolish.”

“Do you wish to stay for the operation, or will you return home?” Maekrux asked.
    “Iea wish to stay, if Iea may... ae is da like Iea to leave before something is finished,” she said. Maekrux agreed, and the two waited a short time for Frall to arrive.
    Last edited by Kaerisk; October 23rd, 2010 at 02:09 AM.
    "Resurgam!"

Delaware, USA that little state no one knows about XP

Default Re: The Rescue of Ash by Flame

A good read as always. Veeeery interesting.
    Anariah, Callihan, Selarth, Osiron, Asandra, Azayan, and Zefani of the Order Shard
    Want a pic of your character? Click here!

Default Re: The Rescue of Ash by Flame

Definitely frightening. For some, too much so. But all of this has been scripted out. We're about halfway through this arc, and I'm liking how it's developing, even if it is horrifying. Good story for October ;p
    "Resurgam!"

Frall arrives, and a dangerous surgery takes place to free Ausixen. One more story to go for Maurger ><; too much writing to catch up on.

Frall soon arrived and Maekrux made way for him, causing Nyoko to move aside as well. “Is he ready?” Frall asked.

“As he’ll ever be,” Maekrux said. He placed his paw on the crystal, causing the energy to become unstable. It shocked the occupant unconscious once more before it dissipated. “Let us begin.”

Frall walked to the other side of the purple. The two stretched out Ausixen's neck, identifying the lump at the back of Ausixen's skull. “It is good that Maurger has not changed,” Frall said, though he sounded uncertain.

Nyoko furrowed her eyeridges and mumbled quietly. “Wish aeo had... for the better.”

“We shall see. Check the rest of him, would you?” Maekrux asked. Frall placed a paw over Ausixen's unconscious body and examined it for other sources of dark primal energy. As he did this, Maekrux made a careful incision at the back of Ausixen's neck, cutting open the scale and revealing both pink, bleeding flesh, and a black mass attached to the nerves. “It is more resilient than I thought. The orb should have had a stronger effect on it, and the suppression field here besides. Maurger has gotten stronger.” Nyoko lowered herself into a crouch as she watched. She closed her eyes and started humming softly, her head moving with each movement the others made, like she was watching carefully.

Frall agreed grimly as he finished his examination. “I sense some residual traces of the goo throughout his body, but it is now all focused at the neck. Seems he wasn't wasting anything.”

“I'll turn the field back on. We might need its constant disruption, or we could cause the goo to cut the nerves,” Maekrux said. He turned the field back on, the orange glow washing over the three as they worked, while Frall turned his attention to the opened neck. Frall focused his primal energy on the goo. Though the goo was not purely primal, it was not purely darkness either; Frall learned this through studying Maekrux's son when he had been taken by Maurger. Maekrux returned to the other side of his grandson and watched as Frall attuned his energy.

“Are you ready to contain the darkness?” Frall asked. Makerux nodded, procuring a Platinum Urn, stained with black, but glowing with old runes. “You've kept it all this time?” he asked. Nyoko tilted her head in question at it, though she continued her soft humming.

Maekrux nodded. It was the same urn that had once transported the liquefied Maurger, after his attempt on his father’s life. He had been freed by his innocent cousin, but when the father came to Maekrux, he gave the blue the urn. “I am nothing if not a historian. And a historian is nothing if they do not learn from the past.”

Frall chuckled. “You also never change, Maekrux. Now get ready.” Frall stopped attuning his power to the primal within the goo, and then pulled all of the primal energy from it into his paw, containing the pure primal energy in a simple prime bolt.

As he drained the goo of its primal element, the bonds between the prime and darkness broke apart, and pure shadow was released into the air, threatening to stain or invade the two as they work. Maekrux lifted the urn and removed the top. The runes lit up and the darkness was pulled into the urn, where it was safely sealed away. When the two were finished, Maekrux capped the urn and the goo that was once on Ausixen’s nerves was completely gone.

Frall released the prime bolt harmlessly into the air and then focused on the nerves. They had been damaged by the goo. “Hold him here,” Frall said. Maekrux complied, holding the wound open and giving Frall room to work. The healer slowly weaved his primal power through the damaged nerves, restoring their shape and replacing the cut tissue. Layer upon layer was restored as time goes on, until the scale had regrown, fresh, but scarred. At last, the elder sighed. “It is done. I just wish I had learned something new.” Frall referred to his suspicions about Semeneth and Valkoth, but so far he had found nothing wrong with them.

Maekrux nodded. “We’ll figure it out.”
    “You know as well as I do that his real recovery begins now,” Frall said. He motioned with his head to Ausixen's tail. “Should we do that now? It could...”

“I want to make sure the balance is right this time. Kaevaeri...” Maekrux trailed off, remembering. His son had endured much of the same torment that he had, that Ausixen had. Unlike Maekrux, who was put back together in a blinding flash of light, Kaevaeri had to be rehabilitated. But the poor hatchling’s mind had not come to terms with the changes done to him, and so did not come to terms with the damage being reverted either. He hadn’t seen Kaevaeri since. He could not lose Ausixen that way as well. His grandson was too important to him, almost as much as his two remaining daughters. The three were all he truly had left.

“A'na, Ieo remember. When you are ready, I will help,” Frall said with a nod. Nyoko was silent as she continued her humming and watchful gaze.

Maekrux smiled lightly. “Thank you, old friend.” He walked around and released the field, letting Frall out. He followed behind.

“He will need sleep for now. I leave the rest up to you.”
    “Thank you. I shall call for you if there are any developments,” Maekrux said. Frall dipped his head to the two, which both Maekrux and Nyoko returned, and then left the chamber.

Maekrux looked to his grandson with a sigh. “Aeo is still aea for now, but the control is gone at least. He'll regain control of his body first. His emotions will follow.”

“That's g'rei, a'na,” Nyoko said. She hummed softly and slowly rose to her feet. “Iea believe Iea shall take k'iea leave then and allow aeo to rest.” She furrowed her eyeridges. “Also... Iea think... Iea may try to get closer to Maurger. Ausixen is worried about k'aeo hatchling. Iea want to insure k'ae safety.”

“A'na. I sort of hope it hatches, but...” again, Maekrux trailed off. There seemed to be no positive outcome in sight.

“If ae does, and Iea can get close enough, perhaps Iea would be able to guide ae,” Nyoko said.

“I certainly encourage you to do all you can to save those hatchlings, but I do wish you to be careful. He is sure to be angry at losing Ausixen,” the blue said.

“Well then, aeo would need a friend now would da aeo?” She chuckled quietly. “And as long as aeo da suspect Iea...”

Maekrux nodded. “A'na, this is true. Let me know whatever you find out. I fear the worst for those hatchlings, but... he might be sincere about them. I cannot know.”

“Sincere or da, if aeo takes aen down aeo path, then ae is still da g'rei. Iea would prefer that da happen.”

“His better world destroys all family and values of our society. Be sure that his hatchlings discover that somehow.”

“Iea will try. For now, to get closer to aeo.”
    “Good luck, and be wary. I shall rest here with my grandson til he wakes.” Maekrux returned back behind the crystals and settled beside his grandson.

“Iea will. Nieo take g'rei care of Ausixen. And safe journeys to nieo, Maekrux Elder.” Nyoko dipped her head in farewell and then recalled.

Maekrux churred softly, resting his head down. He did not think Ausixen could hear him, but he spoke anyway. “Rest now, Ausixen. When you wake, you will have a long journey ahead of you. The road to recovery is a treacherous one, and it often seems like there is no progress to be made, and sometimes even the darkest storms cross its path. But there are no short cuts. And there is no other path to take. For you are a Phoenix, my grandson. And on that path you will find friction enough to light a spark. I have faith in you. Drulkar has faith in you. And until you catch fire, my dear ash, take refuge in my flame and be warmed. For I will never abandon you.” Ausixen seemed to calm in her sleep, and her breathing became light. Maekrux smiled, closed his eyes, and waited for the next day to dawn.
    "Resurgam!"

Thread Information