Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broken Items

Default Re: Broken Items

Aaaah incoherent sleepy ramblings before I forget my points.

• You could make slightly-better-than-"crafted" items like this for level 100 to put in more things for max-level characters to do
      • Stick the pieces on all the scary Aegis-- whatever the hardest stuff is that the current "comp hunter" demographic likes to tackle-- and bam, they have something to do.
        • Additonal consideration of "maybe do armor instead of weapons?" in this event, with the rationale that if broken items are better than crafted ones, you don't want to put a class (weaponsmith, fletcher) out of a job while someone else (armorsmith, tailor) are unaffected.
    • The ideas so far look superawesome and I approve.

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    Dragon Scales:
    • 1, Splendid Helian Chest Scale, +10 Armor
    • 2, Exceptional Helian Chest Scale, +20 Armor, +20 Health
    • 3, Majestic Helian Chest Scale, +30 Armor, +30 Health, +18 Primal
    • 4, Exceptional Helian Chest Scale, +40 Armor, +40 Health, +24 Primal, +40 Power
    • 5, Regal Helian Chest Scale, +50 Armor, +50 Health, +30 Primal, +50 Power
    • 6, Priceless Helian Chest Scale, +60 Armor, +60 Health, +36 Primal, +60 Power, +36 Dragon Breath
    Very cool, but is it possible to make it a back or hindleg scale? We already have many special scales and often they tend to be chest scales.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    Very cool, but is it possible to make it a back or hindleg scale? We already have many special scales and often they tend to be chest scales.
    Unfortunately that'd leave Tier I, II and most of III out of the "broken items" game....

But yes, it would be nice if there were all DIFFERENT scale locations for the various tiers - so that Tier I will have a chance at chest or head scales, Tier II would have a chance of the four scales Tier II players have a chance to wear... and so on.

And so people wouldn't have to choose between their (attuned) existing chest scales and these new ones.
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

Quote Originally Posted by Kesqui View Post
    But yes, it would be nice if there were all DIFFERENT scale locations for the various tiers - so that Tier I will have a chance at chest or head scales, Tier II would have a chance of the four scales Tier II players have a chance to wear... and so on..
    My interpretation was that a full set of scales would be released.

Head
    Wing
    Chest
    Foreleg
    Hindleg
    Back
    Tail

This is only 7 different items for dragons. The original post mentions they went with scales so that dragons would not run out of items to hunt for and collect in comparison to the big list of biped weapons which will keep bipeds busy (assuming they want them all).

I would like to re-iterate that all this gear must be better than player crafted. It needs to represent end game gear. The fact that it IS player crafted makes the point moot imho. If this gear becomes "equalish" or sub par like many of our other so-called epics, then all this work will be for nothing, players will NOT have much desire to obtain it, and the dev's will have failed miserably at a great opportunity to improve loot, which I believe was the entire impetus for all these drastic comp changes.

In fact, I have another suggestion to add to ensure that comps are not supplated by this gear, in terms of what players will be after loot wise: The new Broken Items will need the comps for all the stats the gear is going to have, as well as the broken pieces needed to craft it.

Example: the Bastard sword t5, has two hand slash, strength, dexterity, socket. Formula will ask for socket comps since the socket is an applied tech (assuming dev's follow thru with this portion of my previous suggestion that will allow sockets and-or drag-to-apply techs on the items), Strength V comps, Two-hand Slash V comps, Dexterity V comps, plus a base crafted bastard sword "template". Oh and Parry V comps (when you add +parry to it as well. Bastard sword needs something extra) I'm sure appropriate lore/reasoning can be come up with to require the crafted sword as part of the crafting process, even though previously Velea said "that makes no sense". Use some imagination and come up with a reason. The final t6 gear would use t6 comps in addition to the broken bits. In fact, leave those comps as they are now, with alot of them being WA dropped. Hey, it's end game hunting after all isn't it? Freeze V no longer requires Frost Hellhound Manes. What a pointless change. Now those out of the way but challenging mobs will have no drops of import, except I guess formulas and techs. But wait! T6 mobs don't even drop formulas and techniques now. Re-think the comp re-assignment as far as the t6 tier goes. (Just leave it alone, fill in some missing comps for the t6 broken items, don't be afraid to leave comps on WA)

The above example where comps are required has already been done in the "Heavy Round Shield" formulas... simply extend that idea to these items, so that the weapons pieces, other comps, and then the normal tech comps are all required, plus the base player crafted item (Fine Mithril Bastard Sword).

If this gear is not top end, you will fail at retaining old players who love to hunt on the satyr islands. Several of my guild members keep their toons on those islands all the time. They login, hunt comps for the guild, run them to the guild only consigner, run their toon back to the island so they are ready the next time, log out... I can almost guarantee you that they will stop playing for good once their fun hunting grounds are made worthless.
    Last edited by Guaran; October 23rd, 2010 at 03:05 PM.

Playing that balancing act to keep looted items and crafted items from outclassing each other is tricky. Especially when both offer bonuses to the same stats. I think these broken items should instead offer special effects that aren't available as crafting techs. Things that can modify spells or abilities would be pretty cool assuming it's possible to implement them. Like an axe that has an on-hit chance to fully complete the cooldown on a random warrior ability. Or a druid staff that makes lightning spells arc to other nearby enemies. If such a thing isn't possible, then there is still a pretty large variety of proc effects in the game that aren't craftable. The idea is to make the broken items and craftable items impossible to compare side by side because it becomes an apples to oranges situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    I would like to re-iterate that all this gear must be better than player crafted. It needs to represent end game gear. The fact that it IS player crafted makes the point moot imho. If this gear becomes "equalish" or sub par like many of our other so-called epics, then all this work will be for nothing, players will NOT have much desire to obtain it, and the dev's will have failed miserably at a great opportunity to improve loot, which I believe was the entire impetus for all these drastic comp changes.
    ^This.

95% of loot drop non-craftable items are crap. Trinkets/baubles are crap. Blighted gear is crap. Jewelry sets are crap. Some epic items (maybe 5) are worth getting but the rest are crap, and the hassle you have to go through to get those few items is crap. So if this new broken item is not better than my triple teched weapon/scale/necklace, whats the point? why are we even going to bother to get another piece of (now attuned) almost-as-good-but-a-whole-lot-more-hassle crap? This is a great idea, do not squander it.
    Last edited by Trust; October 25th, 2010 at 04:46 AM.
    Tempus fugit, memento mori.

*Listens for resonance* ...

Knossos

Quote Originally Posted by Kessedrian View Post
    Playing that balancing act to keep looted items and crafted items from outclassing each other is tricky. Especially when both offer bonuses to the same stats. I think these broken items should instead offer special effects that aren't available as crafting techs. Things that can modify spells or abilities would be pretty cool assuming it's possible to implement them. Like an axe that has an on-hit chance to fully complete the cooldown on a random warrior ability. Or a druid staff that makes lightning spells arc to other nearby enemies. If such a thing isn't possible, then there is still a pretty large variety of proc effects in the game that aren't craftable. The idea is to make the broken items and craftable items impossible to compare side by side because it becomes an apples to oranges situation.
    This. Very much.

I would hate to see either crafted -or- looted get outclassed and left behind. The beauty of this game is getting to mix and match and getting benefits of both, neither one being better than the other. My scales are crafted to get the triple techs. My bag of claws contains dozens of claws: claws are blighted so I get the damage conversion and crafted claws to get that extra boost via a crystal. I've even got a blighted set of armor that is ethereal resistance for Elial. My spellcaster has a blighted set to get the bonus to spellcasting recycle cool downs.

Though I suppose, if the new gear was superior in every way, I would no longer have a vault problem

Thumbs up Re: Broken Items

I think scales other than chest scales would be good for the same reason- too many special scales are already chest. I already have problems figuring out which one to wear....

Make the low level special scales chest, then head, then wings/forearms, then hindlegs etc....scale the loot drop up with the tiers. Then at the high end, T5/6 make the full set available for collection. That'll keep folks busy.

I think slow decay with use is also a good idea. Have it so that the whole item needs to be replaced after damage from use, or that a special loot item/ craft resource guarded by the Aegis, is required to keep the item in full working order. That will hopefully create a constant demand for loot/ resource that is only obtained by hunting the Aegis. That will keep adventurers/ crafters busy and stimulate the economy.

Thanks for listening to us Velea and other Dev's. This loot idea we're coming up with is very exciting. It's nice to know the player opinion and desires are valued.
    Be the Dragon!

Wait, Speed +sixty on a necklace?

That seems a bit..... overpowered IMO.

That'd be, what, +25 from GoS V, 50 normal, +25 road bonus, that's 100 speed right there... you're going to be well on your way to doubling the max run speed on a biped. And that's not counting things like swift feet and swift step potions, too.

Also, I'd like to vote for a Head, or Wing scale instead of a Chest scale. We already have chest scales gained through quests, and there's already a tail scale. Wing scales allow one to use these And the quested chest scale for example.

Another thing, I notice that it is all Power, and Focus in V's examples... you are planning Strength/Dex equivalents of those, right?

If only one type of handwrap for Monks were being added (Cloth, Hide, Leather or Padded), which do you as players prefer? Because running item counts of different types at different levels really doesn't answer that question decisively, so I'm curious what players think.

Whichever represents the top end handwrap. Leather I believe it is.
    Last edited by Guaran; October 25th, 2010 at 07:59 PM.

Level 95 Hand Wraps are Essence Leather.

Knossos

Thread Information