Weee, I'm caught up~ For now, anyway. Here we see what Maurger's been up to in the public world, as well as Osearir, who is quickly becoming my most favorite character design in awhile. Desha Treskri - the Better World - is fast approaching...

Maurger arrived at Semeneth’s cave. Valkoth and the helian elder were already waiting for him, though they did not expect him to bring a guest. Behind the grey-black was his solid black son, Osearir, his bright silver eyes watching every interaction with the three dragons.

“I apologize for being late. I wanted my son to see our discussion,” Maurger said.
“It is always good to see younglings about; they are our future,” Valkoth said, peering at the small hatchling. “Can he yet speak?”

“Yes, but he rarely does. I don’t believe it a matter of shyness though; it seems he just has little he wishes to talk about, or he does not yet see the power language has,” Maurger said. Osearir’s tail beat against the ground, but he said nothing to defend or explain himself.

“Is he the only one of your clutch to hatch?” Semeneth asked.
“Oh, no. I have four other hatchlings besides him, all daughters. One is very inquisitive and explores the valley away from my home often. One takes after her mother and stays at home. One follows this one around like a lost saris every time he comes home – really I have a little of everything,” Maurger said with pride. He sat on his haunches, churring at his son, but the affection was not returned; there was no fear in Osearir, or malice. There was no love, either.

“You are quite lucky. Many first-time parents only have a few eggs hatch,” Valkoth said.

“A’na, but gentlemen, I do live up to my name.” He grinned at them, which caused the two to chuckle.

“Yes, well, let us discuss,” Semeneth said. The other two agreed and Semeneth continued. “It has been hard for many of the other elders in both Chiconis and Dralk to accept this new faction of yours, Maurger. Most, however, have agreed to be a part of it, in hopes that Helian and Lunus faction will share more information.”

“The struggle has been especially difficult in Dralk,” Valkoth said with a grunt. “They will eventually come around, however. Perhaps you could speak to them as you have me?” Valkoth asked.

“A certain possibility,” Maurger said, remembering the ‘talk’ the two had. But he did not wish to go that route unless it was absolutely necessary. He already knew that a world built on coercion only lasted as long as the power that held it together. Valkoth and Semeneth were necessary casualties to creating a unified world for his people; the rest would need to believe it to be right.

“We have also been speaking to the hatchlings that have come to us for guidance on their Rite of Passage. Some of them have agreed to join, but many of them were too young to really understand what we told them,” Semeneth said.

“The rush for wings is still an ongoing problem. But with proper guidance under a new, unified faction, I believe it will solve itself. The competition between Helian and Lunus also can spur one to race,” Maurger said.

“A’na, this is true enough. However, it does make for some exciting races during the Festival of Ash,” Valkoth said. The group chuckled, except Osearir, who looked at the three with increased annoyance.

“Have you given much thought as to where Desha Treskri will centralize? A location would be ideal to tell new hatchlings, as they can follow directions well enough,” Semeneth said.

“For now, it will be centralized at Sanctuary. It is not being used by the Empire for anything important, so it shall be our de facto home,” Maurger said with a chur. “In many ways, the true movement was born there.”

“A bit small, but a better location can be found in time,” Valkoth said.
“Ultimately, location will not matter; there will only be Desha Treskri,” Maurger said.

“True enough. We will tell the hatchlings to visit Sanctuary as part of their rites, then,” Semeneth said.

“What ideals should we accentuate when they ask us further about it?” Valkoth asked.

“First of all, the superiority of bipeds to dragons; this is something we all agree on. Second, that bipeds are valuable assets not as slaves but as allies that can accomplish much on their own or with our guidance. And three, that dragons should return to a more aloof role, with ways of training hatchlings that include ranks and teachers assigned to them,” Maurger said.

“Hum, does that sound familiar to you, Valkoth?” Semeneth asked.
“A’na, it does actually,” the elder replied.
“You have heard of such a thing before?” Maurger asked.

“A’na. There was word sent by one of our… lesser respectable dragons, who claimed to be starting a new faction. Worst of all, said dragon ascended on her own; if that is possible, they could very well be another faction that you will have to deal with,” Semeneth said.

“A’na?” Maurger asked. He tapped his wing to his chin as if he was thinking. But he was only putting on a show: Maurger knew well of whom Semeneth spoke. He had already evaluated their ideals and found them not contrary to his own. However, he had a bigger picture in mind. “Well, this faction sounds as if it wishes to isolate itself for awhile. Trying to bring them into the mix now would be problematic. But you are correct – their ideals and values seem very similar to Desha Treskri. If that is the case, then later in far in the future, the prospect of merging the two factions along with Helian and Lunus will not be as problematic as it has been for Helian and Lunus. To borrow a human phrase, all roads lead to Tazoon, but in this case, all winds lead to Desha Treskri.”

“Well spoken, Maurger. But tell me, what should we do for now?” Valkoth asked.
“Give them the rights and privileges of being a faction. Compassion can go much further than hate,” Maurger said.

“Agreed, then,” Semeeneth said. Valkoth also reluctantly agreed.
“Are there any other orders of business?” Maurger asked.
“Not at this time. No one has protested the idea of Desha Treskri as yet; perhaps you are onto something, Maurger,” Semeneth said.

“We can only hope, for our own future,” Maurger said. The two agreed, and Maurger parted ways, his young son tailing behind him.

After the two had passed through Chiconis and made their way down the spine of the Granitefall Mountains, Osearir stopped. His father turned and looked at him, but the hatchling raised his head and asked, “Why?” as if in that one word the whole of his confusion might be answered.

Maurger, however, was good at reading his son. “When one has many enemies, my son, one must learn and use many skills to defend themselves and what they stand for. I helped them for this purpose; separate, but equal, they champion my cause without my consent or oversight. And if one heart should stop beating, the other can continue.”

Osearir tilted his head at the last statement.
“Yes, my son. My legacy far exceeds my own importance. I have brought misery and hate and pain to many. My actions perhaps may be inexcusable. But that which we leave behind is greater than ourselves. I realized that this world was sick, sicker than me, and I intend to cure it, even if I must cut away cancer and flesh indiscriminately. But the world is at rest, and, like a sleeping dragon, does not budge so easily. It will not accept change and it will send its agents against me. Once more, I am brought back to the lessons I learned in my youth: only those with power can decide their fate. And so, my son, I must prepare to protect my legacy as well as my life. Everything I have done will be for naught if you and your sisters do not survive and unify the world, or if they do not succeed where I have failed. Therefore, all tools must be given, all paths must be walked, all precautions must be taken. But do not worry. I will be there for you, Osearir, where my father was not. I will do everything I can to help you become your best. You are my legacy and life both.”

Osearir pondered over this for the longest of times, then turned his head, and spit a bit of flame with a huff. “Talk,” was all he said.

Maurger chuckled at this. “Talk, eh? Well, perhaps you are a dragon of action then?” Maurger motioned with his head and the two began to walk again. “The world needs both, Osearir. But between my talking and your action, I bet we could rule the world, eh?” he said with a magnificent grin.