Thread: changing dragon effects

Default changing dragon effects

so I've been playing around with dragon effects for a while, and someone (a dragon caster) was asking me if I could mod the spellcasting effects to make them look more pretty/strong, but when I looked in the effects folder, the only effects that I could directly relate to dragons were:
    effect_drulkars_wrath.ent (which is fine as it is)
    effect_refreshing_breeze_1.ent (which in my eyes is fine too, and I dont know if there is even something which would make it look prettier (though it would be fun to switch with banshee XD))

I was looking for the bolt effect, tempest, blast, barrage and if its there primal health

Default Re: changing dragon effects

Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post
    I was looking for the bolt effect, tempest, blast, barrage and if its there primal health
    bolt effect
    effect_fire_impbolt.ent

tempest
    default_aoebad.ent

blast
    default_aoebad.ent

barrage
    default_aoebad.ent

primal health
    effect_life_medlife.ent

They are all stored in the client_net_log meepsa if you enable debug mode and use the spells.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

I've had it in my mind to build specific effects for the dragon primal spells for quite some time. Just need to decide on an overall look for some of them. The blasts and barrages and gusts I have ideas for but not some of the others.

ooh thank you chasing

what I've got so far:
    AoE damage spell now look more like a blast (using shining_2 and shining_4, wondering if I can turn tempest into shining_1 by editing a .def file (if the spells even have a .def file))
    prime bolt......yeah, turned that into a green fire bolt LOL

was wondering if someone knew what the files are for:
    shining blades.
    soul gate.
    fury of the energy demon.
    I dont have any of these spells, and dont know anyone on blight that does

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    I've had it in my mind to build specific effects for the dragon primal spells for quite some time. Just need to decide on an overall look for some of them. The blasts and barrages and gusts I have ideas for but not some of the others.
    I was talking with Fermi a few days ago about how some of the effects look, I'll look up if we had ideas for some of the other spells

was wondering if someone knew what the files are for:
    shining blades.
    soul gate.
    fury of the energy demon.
    I dont have any of these spells, and dont know anyone on blight that does
    Had a look but nothing obvious jumps out at me, must have a different name.

Shining Blades you can work out from someone using it next to you ingame.

Fury of the Demon, kaa casts that, so can find out what that one is.

Soul gate, not used ingame anymore

Btw I did spot banshee in the Resources\entities\effects folder (plus a lot of unusual stuff)
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post
    Had a look but nothing obvious jumps out at me, must have a different name.

Shining Blades you can work out from someone using it next to you ingame.

Fury of the Demon, kaa casts that, so can find out what that one is.

Soul gate, not used ingame anymore

Btw I did spot banshee in the Resources\entities\effects folder (plus a lot of unusual stuff)
    oooh, didnt think of abusing kaa for fury of energy demon, too bad soul gate isnt ingame anymore, it had a beautiful effect, thanks again chasing

oh, and I think I found a typo in the effects, sslik regeneration is called: Sslick_regeneration, or something like that, not sure if its like that on purpose or accidental
    Last edited by meepsa; November 8th, 2010 at 05:37 PM.

oh, and I think I found a typo in the effects, sslik regeneration is called: Sslick_regeneration, or something like that, not sure if its like that on purpose or accidental
    There are several files where typos of that type were made. As long as the effects are working it is best to leave them be so that you don't break something else trying to fix something simple. As you are probably learning, there can be several def/ent files referencing a single file.

Do you happen to know if that effect is working or not? My development PC is in 10 pieces waiting for a new motherboard to arrive sometime this afternoon so I can't check until I get it reassembled and everything reinstalled.

Do you happen to know if that effect is working or not?
    If the effect is supposed to look like a greenish-goldish burst of energy waves from around the character's feet, then yes, it is working.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

ok, last question from me (for now lol), would it be possible to edit a def file so that, let's say true grit and promote vitallity would load different effects (cause just switching the effect files will make them both the same)?

can't seem to find that log with the ideas of Fermi, I'll ask him later if he had any ideas for some spells, currently I have set all the breezes to the group health effect (makes them look so much better) and I put arcane refusal and countercheck primal to magic umbrella effect

ok, last question from me (for now lol), would it be possible to edit a def file so that, let's say true grit and promote vitallity would load different effects (cause just switching the effect files will make them both the same)?
    The server sends down which spell effect to use. It would take database changes to allow for the use of different effects where presently a common default effect is used for multiple spells.

Question Re: changing dragon effects

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post
    bolt effect
    effect_fire_impbolt.ent

tempest
    default_aoebad.ent

blast
    default_aoebad.ent

barrage
    default_aoebad.ent

primal health
    effect_life_medlife.ent

They are all stored in the client_net_log meepsa if you enable debug mode and use the spells.
    Can someone make a mod.. for Temptest, Blast, Barrage, and Gust? And improved primal bolt? as its saposed to look like? I wanna see the Trure primal effects of them.. Not some BARELY seeable stuff vv *sigh* its sad... that the Gust blast even state.. default_aoebad.ent = BAD Effects... *sigh* i cant mod... istaria but i would like to see Tempest act like one like dark tornado etc.... Can anyone put this out as possible... Thank you..

the effects you normally see ARE the current "supposed to be" versions, though I'd call them placeholders and just never improved, anyhow, yes it is possible to change tempest into dark tornado, or something allong those lines, the only side-effect would be that EVERY dragon effect using default_aoebad.ent, will have the dark tornado effect.

Thread Information