Thread: 1M Out of Range

Default 1M Out of Range

This is an annoying bug or glitch; in battle I often get the message "Target is 1M out of range" after using the auto attack key, I stop too short or something. How can I be 1M away when the monster I'm battling can hit me, repeatedly, without any distance problem? That is another reason I HATE the satyr islands, the pea soup fog, the mobs that can cast like 10 spells in 2 sec when you cant even fire 1 (getting hit by huge amount of debuffs and stuns before I can finish the casting) and that 1M away. Doesn't the delay for spells casting the same for all? I take is as a kind of "law of nature" but seems it only affect our side. Not sure what it is with those islands but I've experienced those bugs/glitches there often. I so hope the revamp fixes all of those things. Then again, if those mobs dont drop comps anymore that will be as good, no need to go there anymore.
    That reminds me of a bug/glitch that often happens on those islands and is as old as Istaria, the one that cancels the casting of spells. Cant count the number of times I've died when I had cast Heal and other spells/abilities just to discover too late that the game had cancelled it and now I'm dead. If the cancellation has a reason I think it should say so, not just cancel outright without any warning. Not that it only happens when you are under some spell.
    and here I was going for a short post... hehe

Default Re: Current Bugs

Quote Originally Posted by Image View Post
    This is an annoying bug or glitch; in battle I often get the message "Target is 1M out of range" after using the auto attack key, I stop too short or something. How can I be 1M away when the monster I'm battling can hit me, repeatedly, without any distance problem? That is another reason I HATE the satyr islands, the pea soup fog, the mobs that can cast like 10 spells in 2 sec when you cant even fire 1 (getting hit by huge amount of debuffs and stuns before I can finish the casting) and that 1M away. Doesn't the delay for spells casting the same for all? I take is as a kind of "law of nature" but seems it only affect our side. Not sure what it is with those islands but I've experienced those bugs/glitches there often. I so hope the revamp fixes all of those things. Then again, if those mobs dont drop comps anymore that will be as good, no need to go there anymore.
    That reminds me of a bug/glitch that often happens on those islands and is as old as Istaria, the one that cancels the casting of spells. Cant count the number of times I've died when I had cast Heal and other spells/abilities just to discover too late that the game had cancelled it and now I'm dead. If the cancellation has a reason I think it should say so, not just cancel outright without any warning. Not that it only happens when you are under some spell.
    and here I was going for a short post... hehe
    I 'think' its a bounding box issue on the ancient model, one of the reason i switched my model back to a hatchie. As a hatchie i never have that problem (as an ancient all the time). Not sure if it affects adults as well.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post
    I 'think' its a bounding box issue on the ancient model, one of the reason i switched my model back to a hatchie. As a hatchie i never have that problem (as an ancient all the time). Not sure if it affects adults as well.
    I get the same thing ALL THE TIME with my Saris. Makes gathering animal hides a royal pain when the deer are always 1m away, so can't be killed.
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

This is an annoying bug or glitch; in battle I often get the message "Target is 1M out of range" after using the auto attack key, I stop too short or something. How can I be 1M away when the monster I'm battling can hit me, repeatedly, without any distance problem?
    Could be you have a debuff on you that reduces your range. Sounds like Rift Distortion the Vexators use, and you trying to cast spells. Rift distortion is iirc -40 range. So any spell unless it has range on it would be out of range.

Cleanse more often. In fact, its best to have a healer/cleric along who can regularly cleanse you, fighting goes much better and faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Could be you have a debuff on you that reduces your range. Sounds like Rift Distortion the Vexators use, and you trying to cast spells. Rift distortion is iirc -40 range. So any spell unless it has range on it would be out of range.

Cleanse more often. In fact, its best to have a healer/cleric along who can regularly cleanse you, fighting goes much better and faster.
    Nop, not the distortion, that shows in the effect window. I get that message when I'm using my claws, I need longer claws maybe.

Default Re: It can be done

Quote Originally Posted by Akrion View Post
    lol no.

Farming just means that you're killing certain mobs over and over again for the sake of getting specific things such as items, experience, or money. Like one does when they're farming a crop, get it? How you go about farming has absolutely no meaning to the word.
    I disagree.

What you describe as pulling 1 or 2 and killing repetively is not "farming". It's more like "gardening". Gardening is something almost anyone can do. Farming takes better gear, complete familiarity with your school, the mobs being farmed, and experience. Gardening doesn't take quite as much.

This difference is where our points of view are coming from, whether you agree with the definition or not. They mean very different things.

I disagree.

What you describe as pulling 1 or 2 and killing repetively is not "farming". It's more like "gardening". Gardening is something almost anyone can do. Farming takes better gear, complete familiarity with your school, the mobs being farmed, and experience. Gardening doesn't take quite as much.

This difference is where our points of view are coming from, whether you agree with the definition or not. They mean very different things.
    I have the same idea of farming Guaran has.

In WoW my guild would farm T6, in the sense that we could go in the top 40 / 25 men raid instance before any other server guild could and we could proceed pulling whole rooms instead of carefully pulling 1, max 2 raid mobs. Farming is a science and a sort of art. Only with it we could give everyone in our guild the orange weapons, even for alts. Only with in in Warhammer Online we'd have fully epic-ced characters including alts. And so on. In early Horizons, before the group XP penalties, rating 150 bipeds with specific gear would powerlevel other guys by chain pulling whole ED spawns. They perfected their "science" so much that I would craft teched spells at Dralk and fly over ED to deliver them directly on the field, so they could avoid to ever stop.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Addition: After months I went back to the labyrinth and hunted the maggots. The 1M away message was constant now. If I did not stop the action, move forward and attack again, the maggot would have killed me. I know it was not like that before. It got so frustrating as often the maggot would move before I could complete all those extra moves then have to start over. Using setscale or not did not change anything to the problem. Problem seems to be getting worse.

What you describe as pulling 1 or 2 and killing repetively is not "farming".
    If a word has multiple definitions, that's fine, but farming has always meant to me and many others "repetitively doing a task to obtain items/gold." I've seen it defined this way on outside sources, so it's not just me. Farming is one of those words with a very broad definition. No one here is wrong in their definition, it's just the definition is much broader than that.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Default Re: The Easy Button

The term 'Farming' came from the word 'Farming' and the definition of said word says nowhere that one needs to do anything in large quantities at a time for it to be considered 'Farming'.

It doesn't matter if a farmer is farming with his hands or machinery, he's still farming. Speed of which it happens has absolutely no meaning what so ever.

Default Re: The Easy Button

Quote Originally Posted by Akrion View Post
    ...Speed of which it happens has absolutely no meaning what so ever.
    In this context, our use of the term, it does have meaning. A point I tried to make above.

When the veteran player speaks of farming, it means high speed, multi-mob killing. As long as you understand that, all the other definitions do not matter, becaus those definitions are NOT what we are talking about or referring to.

It's like the meaning of nerf bat. In this context it has a specific meaning. You go talk to someone else about nerf bats and they will have no idea the meaning you are trying to convey.

Hopefully I have clarified the meaning I am trying to convey when I say "farming".

Addition: After months I went back to the labyrinth and hunted the maggots. The 1M away message was constant now. If I did not stop the action, move forward and attack again, the maggot would have killed me. I know it was not like that before. It got so frustrating as often the maggot would move before I could complete all those extra moves then have to start over. Using setscale or not did not change anything to the problem. Problem seems to be getting worse.
    I get this a lot too, but I use a work-around that seems to be effective. Try casting some sort of ranged attack/ability when this comes up. Usually, the move doesn't even have to actually happen, just that it needs to be queued up and start casting. After that, just cancel the attack and quickly switch back to the physical attack you want. If that doesn't work, let the move fully cast, even if it doesn't actually hit, and then switch to your physical move. Almost always works for me.

I assume that, since it's a ranged move, it sort of cancels out the 1m glitch because, well, it's ranged. I don't know if the culprit is always the bounding box because in most cases for me, this fixes it. It might be some kind of detection issue, even if your opponent is inside your "attack bubble", but I wouldn't have the foggiest idea because I have zero programming knowledge.
    Chaos: Gael Tycarren--Dragon
    "I just... want to remember."

Default Re: 1M Out of Range

This is an annoying bug or glitch; in battle I often get the message "Target is 1M out of range" after using the auto attack ...
    I just thought of something. Try enabling "Use Free Look" in the options. It sounds like you are using the option where it steers your camera around for you... I had lots of bugs with that and turning on free looks was the very first client setting tweak I ever did, at the recommendation of guildies. Been using it ever since.

Your glitch is that the auto steering part isn't getting you completely in range (which maybe you were trying to point out originally, I'm just so used to the client acting the way I have mine configured going on 7 years now, that I forgot about the other method).

lol, what happened to this thread? Look like some other unrelated thread got merged into it.... *smacks the hand of the person fiddling around with the forum*

I just thought of something. Try enabling "Use Free Look" in the options. It sounds like you are using the option where it steers your camera around for you... I had lots of bugs with that and turning on free looks was the very first client setting tweak I ever did, at the recommendation of guildies. Been using it ever since.

Your glitch is that the auto steering part isn't getting you completely in range (which maybe you were trying to point out originally, I'm just so used to the client acting the way I have mine configured going on 7 years now, that I forgot about the other method).
    Yes, seem to stop too short. Yet not short enough to keep the mob from hitting me. Never noticed those keys before or used them. I use the keypad to move the camera.
    Only Free look I see is in key bindings. 1 had a tilde key other was empty. Removed then added a key to both and tried the attacks. In both cases it still gave me the 1m away. I waited and waited to see if game would eventually bring me closer but no. Tried Arm's suggestion too, used long distance spell, stop then auto attack and still 1m away.
    On 7 years too.
    I was able to stop it completely using the khutit form. Then I had no distance problem. Something about the dragon form/box I guess.
    The annoying part is that the mob (Noxious maggots in this case) hits me yet I'm 1 meter away and I'm like 5+ times its size, I should be able to reach for its tail and swing it while I play punch bag.
    Thanks for the assistance.

Just out of curiosity.. is the check box for "free movement" unchecked under options? It sounds like you're using the automatic movement that that would result in. Unless you really like this functionality for some reason, I would suggest turning free movement on and just moving your character normally. You can get as close to your target as you want this way, and if I recall correctly, years ago this option would even mess up spellcasting by trying to move towards your target while you're casting, which could account for the "canceled spells" in the OP.

I've had free movement turned on almost since I started playing and I've never had a problem with the 1m away bug that I keep hearing about, nor randomly canceled spells.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    Just out of curiosity.. is the check box for "free movement" unchecked under options? It sounds like you're using the automatic movement that that would result in. Unless you really like this functionality for some reason, I would suggest turning free movement on and just moving your character normally. You can get as close to your target as you want this way, and if I recall correctly, years ago this option would even mess up spellcasting by trying to move towards your target while you're casting, which could account for the "canceled spells" in the OP.

I've had free movement turned on almost since I started playing and I've never had a problem with the 1m away bug that I keep hearing about, nor randomly canceled spells.
    I usually use the Free Movement, which I prefer when hunting alone, but in a group you kinda have too not use it. Plus those maggots are coming so fast and from all over the place that it's hard to manually keep close enough to hit them. They will quickly shift targets or just move back and forth so without the auto movement I am often left there hitting air as they have taken off and I lose sight of them. They are quick little buggers.
    OOH yes it still does mess with spells. I get the spin around the target like crazy when I try to cast the spell that will kill the target. Dizzying to say the least. That's when I notice I forgot to get the free movement back on.

lol, what happened to this thread? Look like some other unrelated thread got merged into it.... *smacks the hand of the person fiddling around with the forum*

I think the topic went 1M Out of Range
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

rofl Vah
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Thread Information