Thread: Sleep emote.

Default Sleep emote.

I think there have been more topics about this, but I couldn't find those. So is there going to be a sleep emote for dragons?

Cause the day and night cycle is kinda weird if you are always awake. It would also make RPing better.

Default Re: Sleep emote.

The only way a dragon can pretend to "sleep" is to sit down with either the laying down mod or the original "sphinx" position. no official sleeping position. Atleast dragons can lay down like that. Bipeds can only sit down, how is that for roleplay... lol
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Well I asked if there was going to be a sleep emote, not if it΄s already there, cause I know there isn΄t one.

It was discussed a while ago. The dragon model is not easy to move into a sleeping position without having the neck cave in on itself or some other oddity. Solitaire may or may not figure out a way for it to work eventually, so it's in the air.

Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

I want a sleep emote/sit, would be great when i go afk

sounds like it's time to revamp the dragon models. a character model should have the ability to move as if they were real, IE naturally, following their skeletal structure. the current dragon model is so broke... there's a frickin hole in the neck of unmodded Adult and Ancient models. besides, they are way over 5 years old, and overdue for a replacement/revamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Romirez View Post
    ...they are way over 5 years old, and overdue for a replacement/revamp.
    So is every other model in the game. :P

Besides, since they are so old, people have gotten used to and even attached to them. Changing them now might annoy more people than it pleases, even if revamping them was feasible to begin with. And then there'd need to be a revamp of all the bipeds to keep up with the look of the dragons.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    So is every other model in the game. :P

Besides, since they are so old, people have gotten used to and even attached to them. Changing them now might annoy more people than it pleases, even if revamping them was feasible to begin with. And then there'd need to be a revamp of all the bipeds to keep up with the look of the dragons.
    i agree with this, changing the models could be like opening Pandora box.

I find the current dragon models in game just fine, i think it is the naka that need some updating

if i were to request anything for dragons it would be more animations. maybe a new run animation to be better timed with when towing a disk

I'd be inclined to say that a "sleeping" dragon might work better lying on its side - with the animation being something like the "death flop" but rolling onto the side with one wing draped over the body or some such? Either that... or dragons sleep standing up like horses, with their heads drooping downwards (and bobbing gently up and down with each breath), wings loosely flopping down, one foot propped up (switching hind foot every once in a while)... which is probably going to look more natural and realistically lifelike than a dragon lying on its side and wondering what's going on with the wing on the bottom

What would be cool - if you're looking, Solitaire, and willing to spend the time - is if you could post a couple of screen grabs of the model in its most extreme but still natural-looking and not causing funky angles and tearing poses so that folks have an idea of how far the model CAN be twisted/bent without causing wonktasticity...
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

What about putting your head under your wing?

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    What about putting your head under your wing?
    Like maybe putting your head under your wing in the default sit pose, ie dragon stretched out on its belly? Probably one of the few ways it'd look feasible, like the horse-style "standing but at rest" approach. Lying down on the side or back kinda sounds nice, but then you have to take into account the wings flopping all over and if you think sleeping on YOUR arm hurts, try being the size of a house!

Sleep emotes sound neat, although given the aggravation of making things loop I'm not going to hold my breath.

Well Solitair once said you can't put a dragon's head underneath the wings, cause the skeleton won't bend that way. So I would say the horse-sleep would be the easiest,
    Yet I think it would about just as easy to just use the normal sit emote, but then with the head down a bit and the eyes closed.

But it all the depends on wether Solitair would like to make it, have time for it, etc.
    Student in Machinima.
    Ryuko Dawnbreaker: lvl 34 adult.
    Comosal Dawnbreaker: lvl 14 hatchling

Quote Originally Posted by stephan27 View Post
    So I would say the horse-sleep would be the easiest,
    I would rather chop my dragons tail off and cook it and feed it to gnomes while wearing an apron that says eat the cook, than have a sleep emote that makes my dragon sleep standing up.

Yet I think it would about just as easy to just use the normal sit emote, but then with the head down a bit and the eyes closed.
    i think this is more acceptable

A sleep animation is quite possible. I posed the position a while ago and posted a screen shot of it. Not sure what thread it was in though. Was an on the belly position with the tail and head curled around to the right side of the body. Head resting on a leg. However, with the variety of head shapes I ran into some difficulty. Some heads look ok. Some float above the leg. And one deeply intersects the leg. So I would have to find a happy medium for it.

As a note for the conversation above: I'm not totally revamping the dragons. I'm fixing issues such as that slit neck among others. I am not making changes to how existing dragon characters will look aside from the fixed issues. And creating a few new options which I'm keeping mostly secret about for the most part until we are further along.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    A sleep animation is quite possible. I posed the position a while ago and posted a screen shot of it. Not sure what thread it was in though. Was an on the belly position with the tail and head curled around to the right side of the body. Head resting on a leg. However, with the variety of head shapes I ran into some difficulty. Some heads look ok. Some float above the leg. And one deeply intersects the leg. So I would have to find a happy medium for it.
    The first animation you made some time ago were the hindlegs looked funny doesn't seem to bother people as well. Heck I was the first to complain about it, but I still use it. Mostly because it already looked a hell of a lot better then the original "Sphinx" look (at least to me). You could always put it online and let the players judge for themselves.

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...t=21866&page=8.

The link above is to the threat Solitaire was talking about. It is actually about a new sit emote. Just go over the pages and you'll find Solitaire's sleeping dragon. It really looks nice and cute.

Also Solitaire, you said something about the head intersecting the leg in the sleep emote. Do you mean the head with fins and horns? The one that looks a bit like the head of a bird? The head my dragon (see avatar) has?
    Student in Machinima.
    Ryuko Dawnbreaker: lvl 34 adult.
    Comosal Dawnbreaker: lvl 14 hatchling

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...t=21866&page=8.

The link above is to the threat Solitaire was talking about. It is actually about a new sit emote. Just go over the pages and you'll find Solitaire's sleeping dragon. It really looks nice and cute.
    Cool picture indeed, now all we need is the mod version so that us players can use it ingame...

Also Solitaire, you said something about the head intersecting the leg in the sleep emote. Do you mean the head with fins and horns? The one that looks a bit like the head of a bird? The head my dragon (see avatar) has?
    I don't remember specifically which heads had issues with that test pose. I just remember flipping through the 10 designs thinking "That one looks good. That one not so much. Would need to tweak to make this one work. That one might not work at all. etc..." I think that the worst of the bunch was the one that I call the "bulldog" head. The flat faced, big jaw one. Fairly rare to see it used.

As an FYI, I'm not planning on any new animations for a little bit. One of the issues that caused the slit neck was caused because the heads are located in one file and the bodies and wings in another. When they were resized, it introduced a poor fit between the models in the new exports. I'm in the process of combining them into one file so that I can get the fit fixed and make some minor improvements. Once I have that finished for all life stages and build in some new animation controls to make things easier then I'll revisit that sleeping animation. As well as make a bunch of others in the combat and crafting categories.

Yea, it actually would, if you think about it. But sometimes when it's night and you are awake, you can get crafting done

Thread Information