Thread: The porting scrolls

Default The porting scrolls

Not sure if this is planned or not but I know one thing that deters people from hunting the Satyrs is the run to the portal. Would it be possible to have the archeologists maybe sell portal tokens for them and create scrolls for those destinations. The run would still be there other than once an hour so shouldn't be considered an "easy button" to lessen death impact on them, but maybe getting there without the run to them heading there to hunt will inspire more people to hunt them. You would still have to find them and attune to them first time still by putting the tokens for sale on the archeologists.

Default Re: The porting scrolls

Well, to even port there you also had to have attuned by talking to the archeologists. These could be a way around that requirement.

But to be fair, the run out to the Corvus portal (the longest run I think) only takes about 5 to 7 minutes. Elnath from dralk is less than 5 minutes. Surely that's not enough to deter anyone.

The more likely deterrent is the mobs proximity to the Elnath landing pad, where you wind up dead before you ever finish loading. That needs addressed, which Amon will hopefully do when he revamps that island's mob spawns.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Well, to even port there you also had to have attuned by talking to the archeologists. These could be a way around that requirement.
    He already said something regarding that..

Quote Originally Posted by Teto Frum View Post
    ... Would it be possible to have the archeologists maybe sell portal tokens for them and create scrolls for those destinations .. *snip* .. You would still have to find them and attune to them first time still by putting the tokens for sale on the archeologists.

Right but just because you are the one buying the tokens, wouldn't mean you were the one using the crafted teleport spell from that token.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Right but just because you are the one buying the tokens, wouldn't mean you were the one using the crafted teleport spell from that token.
    Then do not use tokens - NPC's can sell spell as is set up for the Chiconis Travel.

Knossos

I can see it working this way: The Tokens would be attuned and consumed along with the scroll when you teleport.

Attuning means only high level scholars would get quicker access to the satyr islands.

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    Attuning means only high level scholars would get quicker access to the satyr islands.
    No problem if Satyr archeologists sell travel potions (attuned) rather than tokens. The Chiconis Dragon craft trainer sells travel potion while Dalimond Sslanis and Kion Npc's sell tokens.

Knossos

I don't see how. You buy tokens from the archeologist, buy a scroll from someone who can make them, and the token gets consumed when you use the scroll like how candy is consumed when you use a costume.

Attuning the tokens means that you must go to the archeologist atleast once to get a set of tokens to teleport with. And then you would need to make or have someone make you a set of teleport scrolls.

Someone who can already make the scrolls would be able to use them more easily (due to not needing to buy/have someone make the scrolls for them) regardless of attuning.

Sounds likea complicated mess.. attuned charges? no thanks.

don't see how. You buy tokens from the archeologist, buy a scroll from someone who can make them, and the token gets consumed when you use the scroll like how candy is consumed when you use a costume.

Attuning the tokens means that you must go to the archeologist atleast once to get a set of tokens to teleport with. And then you would need to make or have someone make you a set of teleport scrolls.

Someone who can already make the scrolls would be able to use them more easily (due to not needing to buy/have someone make the scrolls for them) regardless of attuning.
    That is different than I thought it worked. I thought the travel tokens were consumed when you made the scroll, like comps.

That is different than I thought it worked. I thought the travel tokens were consumed when you made the scroll, like comps.
    I believe you are correct Awdz, they are consumed whe you create the travel scroll, not when you use it. Had the mechanics been such that you create a generic travel scroll, then it uses a token this idea would have been feasible. Of course that in itself has its own complication like if you had more than 1 token in your inventory.

As a side note, I would like to see the tokens enter the loot tables.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Well yeah, I was simply suggesting another way it could be done.

Quote Originally Posted by hallucin8 View Post
    Had the mechanics been such that you create a generic travel scroll, then it uses a token this idea would have been feasible. Of course that in itself has its own complication like if you had more than 1 token in your inventory.
    The mechanics already exist in the costumes, they consume a set amount of candy from a stack of candy in your inventory when you use them.

I just think the runs especially Corvus are to long personally, fire isle too but theres no portal pad there which the scrolls need so I left it off.

I don't think anything needs to change to incorporate this. I was assuming with the recent move to attuned racial cites, and then the scrolls added that the scrolls don't over-ride the attunement change. I was figuring that scrolls just access the portal system without be near one. Do scrolls to Sslanis let you go to SSlanis before you are attuned? I was thinking no, but haven't tested it, that would defeat the recent need to attune places to then add scrolls right after that bypass that change, is why I assumed this.

So you will still have to find portals, still have to attune just like normal, this would just allow easy access to the isles once an hour. The scrolls are saving crafters huge time skipping in from field runs to towns, surely just adding locations that will save hunters a bit of time shouldn't upset anyone.

There are pads and there are scrolls, should be easyish thing to add these places as scroll possibilities Id think, there are already NPCs there to add tokens too as well.

At this time there are no plans to add travel scrolls for destinations other than the main towns. That is not to say it won't ever happen, but at this current time there aren't any plans to do so.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Thread Information