Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dragons without wings

Default Re: Dragons without wings

Quote Originally Posted by Clearbrooke View Post
    I wouldn't say Blasphemy... Look at Chinese dragons... They don't have wings!

Its a different style of dragons some like... Some don't... Western have wings, Wyverns have two legs with wings BEING their second set of legs (Personally my least favorite of the dragons, but they're still mythology.. I love Penguins and they look funky!!) Chinese are dragons that fly using the magic given to them by the 'gods' or whatnot, I don't know exact legends of them.. but I know I <3 how they fly *circles!!!*

now if Meeps is talking about just a grounded dragon like a Lizard or something.. Then yes, thats a lil degrading to dragons.. Thats a monster not an intelligent and magical creature or in Istaria's case, godlike...

Now what would look nice, is either a Chinese styled dragon (Which No thats not possible from a mod, that'd be stretching the dragon textures and body structure into a COMPLETELY different creature altogether) or simply a dragon that runs in the air or has sparklies behind it, then you have the complaints as you did the dryads 'Too much lag!!' Though I personally say screw the lag, its proof of magic in the dragon get over it, and turn the graphics down I have however, and I know others have too, seen my dragon bug out and not have wings (Instead graphical holes where wings should be..) that you might could tweak that bug and make a mod out of it... simply covering the holes with texture... But you'd have to take into consideration the missing head that tends to go along with the wings

Just a lil bit from someone who knows a bit of Dragon Mythology... and slightly agreeing with Meepsa... dragons are a species of their own, having from little cat-sized dragons that fly, all the way to the Chinese that're hundreds of feet long with no wings! None should be exiled or criticized because of their appearance or lack thereof... They are what they are ^.^ and should be respected as who and what they are
    first of all, I didn't start a thread to start a discussion about "what is a dragon and what isn't", after all, oroborus (AKA god dragon/creation dragon) of mythology is simply a snake biting it's tail, taking your reasoning in consideration, this wouldn't be classed as a dragon. :/

and neither were you right about my intentions, it was just something that sparked from a conversation about glitches.

next, the head and wingless glitch cannot (as far as I know) be triggered on purpose, in fact, simply removing the wing model from the .def file should work fine, and only get rid of the wings and spines.

Now what would look nice, is either a Chinese styled dragon (Which No thats not possible from a mod, that'd be stretching the dragon textures and body structure into a COMPLETELY different creature altogether
    yes this is in fact possible from a mod, it would however requier A LOT of work, something which I've been known for not doing.

HOWEVER, I've given up on this for a loooooooong time now.

and a lizard isn't intelligent? you talking about Ssliks or something? *chuckles*

Um... no, I'm pretty sure making a Chinese Lung-style dragon is not possible in a player-made mod. >.> Players don't have access to the basic files of the game that would be needed in order to do that. Not to mention the tens of thousands of dollars worth of 3D-art-related program that would be necessary.

that you might could tweak that bug and make a mod out of it... simply covering the holes with texture...
    Pretty sure that can't be done either. Texture needs to be overlayed onto polygons.. those holes where the wings should be? Missing polygons. Can't texture over what isn't there.

Also.. trying to argue about what is or isn't a dragon is a completely pointless pursuit. :P

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    Pretty sure that can't be done either. Texture needs to be overlayed onto polygons.. those holes where the wings should be? Missing polygons. Can't texture over what isn't there.
    That is correct. There is nothing there to put the texture onto. Also, the textures were made taking that hole into account. Without reworking the existing models, texture over those areas would be stretched or broken. There really is no good way for players to make significant modifications to the dragon models that will look good.

hehe I didn't mean to start an argument.. just figured I'd fill him in on the 'omg no dragons can't have wings' idea.. Been ranty recently I know *puzzled* And I didn't think you could cover holes with texture, was just an idea... but there's no possible way of adding a small muscle or some form of these 'polygons' over the wholes or fitting it into the holes, then just reapplying the head if that problem comes along?

and to Meepsa I meant Lizards as in... That gecko outside your house :P

I do believe all creatures are at least in their own way *watches Husky crash into furniture then walk over to a door and open it* intelligent but when it comes to how magical and intelligent dragons are supposed to be when it comes to grounding a dragon entirely that seems to change it into a different species and intellect level is all I meant :x
    ~Clearbrooke~ *Riverpaw*
    lv 60 Elemental Archer on Chaos
    Raaliquiryn Vaerkaldra, previously Kirya Al`Taraya (Mistress of the Blighted Guard!)
    lv 100/40/34 Dragon on Chaos

And I didn't think you could cover holes with texture, was just an idea... but there's no possible way of adding a small muscle or some form of these 'polygons' over the wholes or fitting it into the holes, then just reapplying the head if that problem comes along?
    It's not possible for a player to do, no. We don't have access to the files that would be necessary. Players cannot alter the models. Appearance mods made by players are almost always textures, which we can alter. Player mods that alter models or animations can do so only because the files always existed in the first place, they just weren't used in the way the mod uses it.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Thread Information