Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name changing. Necessary and not neccessary

Default Name changing. Necessary and not neccessary

Really?
    Winter Gruoks/Grulets are now known as Palesnouts. (Treasure from them has been updated accordingly.) Palesnout Sows now appear where the Palesnout Younglings do to protect them.
    Why are you changing the name of things haphazardly?

Grass beetle change was bad enough where only one tier of beetle gets the name change so they stick out like a sore thumb. Both older and newer players don't find rhyme or reason for this. It's bad enough when someone asks where to find grass beetles and no one can answer them, new or old because they just don't know where the new beetles were moved and named to.

Know what could be changed instead?

Frost/Winter/Ice creatures.

Most confusing thing in Istaria!

T3 Beetles are snow
    T4 beetles are frost
    T5 beetles are ice

T2 Pygmy/ogres are frost (Ishkuk?)
    T3 pygmy/ogres are ice
    T4 pygmy/ogres are snow

T2 wolves are winter
    T4 wolves are also winter
    T5 wolves are yet another variation of winter.

I think. To this day, I really have a hard time figuring out what the name of the creature I need to be hunting for X tier.

Default Re: Name changing. Necessary and not neccessary

I agree. Things have been named such for 7 years, why with all the changing? It's both confusing, and annoying.
    Nayuaka and Nayukhuut. Freelance Helian lorekeepers of Chaos.

If I were to just guess at it, I'd say the devs aren't happy with the way everything is named as if everything had to be named in a short amount of time. Personally, I do kind of appreciate that the devs are trying to give things more creative names. That seems to be all they're really trying to do: give mobs less "cookie-cutter" names.

They have changed the name of the snow beetles, actually. They're called Nix beetles now. And yes, the frost pygmies/ogres are Ish'kuk. The snow/ice/frost/winter stuff does seem like what should be concentrated on renaming. Perhaps renaming the "winter" gruoks is part of that.

I believe the wolves are T2 - winter, T3 - mountain and winter mountain, and T5 - icy dire.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

I mostly hate the new ogre/pygmy names. I can't remember them, all the names look the same, which is which? Don't have any idea, it's like playing a japanese game. I like simple straight forward names.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Makes no sense to me either. But, that's what makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    I mostly hate the new ogre/pygmy names. I can't remember them, all the names look the same, which is which? Don't have any idea, it's like playing a japanese game. I like simple straight forward names.
    Bhal'Kuk, Than'Kuk, Nah'Guk, Ish'Kuk....wuh??? yeah, it confuses me too....ALLOT

They are changing because we find the original names to be the height of boring... Flame Ogre, Fire Ogre, Ice Ogre, Sand Ogre... Repeat for Beetles, Wolves, Golems. Its terrible. So, by introducing new names we hope to make it a little more interesting. I'm sorry you find them confusing, but for new players it wouldn't be as bad cause they'll be learning them for the first time.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

It maybe less boring - imagine the grocer renaming it's products to make shopping more interesting, how exciting - In my opinion if changing them at all, it would have been better if the names had at least some link with the place where you can find them or with their abilities or something.

Is it a consolation that new players won't have a problem with the new names? To be frank, no not at all! They wouldn't have any problems with the old ones either.

Hurray! Mor
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    They are changing because we find the original names to be the height of boring... Flame Ogre, Fire Ogre, Ice Ogre, Sand Ogre... Repeat for Beetles, Wolves, Golems. Its terrible. So, by introducing new names we hope to make it a little more interesting. I'm sorry you find them confusing, but for new players it wouldn't be as bad cause they'll be learning them for the first time.
    I agree with that.

I understand. And for what its worth I am sorry you find it frustrating.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I totally agree with you Sigi.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Question Re: Name changing. Necessary and not neccessary

What about both old and new names put together, like Ish'Kuk Ogres of Ice? Or more explanations in the quest logs?

would be helpful Lung- good idea.
    Though the name becomes longer and longer..
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Lov, I agree

thx

Hurray! Mor
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!

Then, the matter is between the size, the originality and the clarity of the name. :/

Quote Originally Posted by LungTien Temeraire View Post
    Then, the matter is between the size, the originality and the clarity of the name. :/
    Like balancing a ball on a pyramid.

Bhal'Kuk, Than'Kuk, Nah'Guk, Ish'Kuk....wuh??? yeah, it confuses me too....A LOT
    Yeah... if a players asks for an ogre by tier, I haven't the foggiest what its name is. Spelling is another matter entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Like balancing a ball on a pyramid.
    Sorry, I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by LungTien Temeraire View Post
    Sorry, I don't get it.
    Oh. Something that is near impossible.
    Too much weight leaning to one side of the pyramid and the ball just rolls off the other side.

Ok. I though it was a sort of expression, and not knowing english language very well... I wasn't sure.

Quote from Amon

They are changing because we find the original names to be the height of boring
    I have played this game from launch and have never said to myself "This game is boring cause a 5 year old named the mobs"

Think you all are missing the point, the first quote with the word "WE" in it doesn't refer to the players. I never heard any outcry for mob names, not even a meep from the players.

Thread Information