Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: going monk anyway

branden

Default going monk anyway

I've decided to go ahead and make a monk anyway. It's probably going to be frustrating, but I like the class and want to play it. So i'm going to work on fitter as well, and i'm going to get druid until natures furry (or whatever it's called). I also plan on getting spiritist high enough to use some debuffs (i think we are allowed to use some of the debuff spells).I may also work on cleric some. Can anyone suggest any other classes i might want to work on and why?

Default Re: going monk anyway

Glad to see a new monk enter the ranks..welcome :)

The generic 8 of mage to cast the weapon buffs is a good idea for all melee classes

Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

A couple of the monk schools allow the use of the revitalizes. Some druid levels gives you at least the revitalizes, Instant Heal, Petrify, and Nature's Fury, which really help.
    TIGRIS EUPHRATES and TEKKA RUNECLAW. Istarian Veteran, The Original Order Shard Herald, Herald of the Spirit Shard. Storm Disciple, Flame Disciple, Spirit Disciple, Ice Disciple, Monk, Ranger, Healer, Druid, Spiritist. Grand Master Biped Crafter.

branden

How high would i want to take mage classes? are there different tiers of the attack (fire, energy, etc.) type spells? Should i put one level on warrior in so i get parry? and can i use debuffs if i get some spirtist and are those useful?

You would only need 8 of mage for flame and energy attack the tier 1 version. 9 for ice attack I think.

Parry would be a good idea if you plan to use handwraps.

Spirit disciples and storm disciples that I know can cast most blight spells.
    Zodias of Order

Monk Issue List

branden

are the tier I X attack spells worth getting? will they still be useful when i am into the higher levels, like 50 and 60 plus?

hobojo

The T1 spells are infinitely useful because they convert your damage, not just add to it. So even at level 100, Ice Attack 1 is great against crush resistant mobs. It's level 7 mage to get flame/energy attack, and level 8 mage to get ice attack.

You can cast Revit/Imp Revit as any class in the game, so if your going Monk it's helpful to get 23 levels of cleric, for t2 gifts, dispirit foe, and some heals.

They are useful all the way through because they convert your damage type. Anything you encounter that is crush resistant you use one of those buffs and you are no longer dealing crush damage
    Zodias of Order

Monk Issue List

aceracer24

In addition to the attack skills...you can at a later date train mage up to lvl 36 I bvelieve it is for multi cast...this allows you to cast a spell at least more then one time. Only really usefull if you have a high lvl spell . Most the lower lvl spells are worthless against high lvl mobs. Cept the attack spells as was indicated. But multi cast is a good ability to have if you plan to take one of the spell classes up high enough for good spells. There are lots of variations you can do with the classes.

branden

ok. i just finished getting druid to 8, so i'll work mage up to 8 now too. quick question, if i take druid up to 9 or whatever it is can my monk use the damage shield ability they get?

aceracer24

Quote Originally Posted by branden
    ok. i just finished getting druid to 8, so i'll work mage up to 8 now too. quick question, if i take druid up to 9 or whatever it is can my monk use the damage shield ability they get?
    Any class (correct me if i am wrong here) can use any ability from another class as long as A) that ability does not state "can not be mastered" and B) you have taken that class to at least double the level you got the ability at. In other words, if you got foresight as a monk at lvl 5...you must lvl monk to 10 in order to use foresight in another class.

Cloak of thorns can not be mastered. So no your monk can not use it
    Zodias of Order

Monk Issue List

Noone's mentioned it so far, but I think that the Spirist for debuffs SOUNDS good, but unless you keep it up level wise, it won't provide much help past the early levels (they don't land very often, and don't do much when they do). Cleric is DEFINITELY helpful though. Gifts/ and raise/enhances are very nice, as is the healing ability to cut down on your sitting around. Since you have the druid, the regrowth will help too.

If you are using handwraps, yes, get parry.

-HratLi

HratLi SnowPelt : From Bounty to Chaos : Eyes of Istaria
    MultiCrafter, Spirit Disciple, Walking Bleed Attack.
    HratLi's Bucket of Fury : A Saris in cargo gear appears and beats on your foe.
    Damage :
    50-150 Attack Type: Bucket Duration: Until Dispelled Frequency: 0:02

branden

ok so I joined warrior and got parry, but when i went back to monk parry was gone. is that right?

Also..i took druid toI think level 8 (maybe 9) and the only thing that transfered over was regrowth. I thought petrify and natures furry were supposed to transfer too?

Also does anyone have a list of what exactly spells a monk can use?

If Parry disappeared, it might be beacuse you did not take warrior high enough to master it.

No biggie, just level warrior to 2 and you'll have it mastered.

-Menkure Salitis
    Sifu of the Flame

branden

oooooh...so a skill has to be mastered in order to transfer over?

Yes.

To master a skill is easy.. take the level it is earned at and multiply it by 2.

So a level 1 ability will not be mastered untill you reach level 2, and a level 10 ability will not be mastered untill you reach level 20 in that school

Also, certain skills or abilities cannot be mastered. Check the descriptions of those abilities to see if they say 'cannot be mastered'.

Because it takes twice the levels to master an ability, the only abilities that you may be able to master are in the level range of 1 to 50, but no more beyond that.. (( to master an ability that is earned at level 50, you must take that school to 100. So there is a limit))

Hope that helps

-Menkure Salitis
    Sifu of the Flame

aceracer24

Quote Originally Posted by aceracer24
    [img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]branden wrote:ok. i just finished getting druid to 8, so i'll work mage up to 8 now too. quick question, if i take druid up to 9 or whatever it is can my monk use the damage shield ability they get?

Any class (correct me if i am wrong here) can use any ability from another class as long as A) that ability does not state "can not be mastered" and B) you have taken that class to at least double the level you got the ability at. In other words, if you got foresight as a monk at lvl 5...you must lvl monk to 10 in order to use foresight in another class.
    Not trying to be rude...but I did mention this in my post...please fully read what people write so you don't miss info.

branden

Ya I do see that now. I just missed the post I guess.

aceracer24

Quote Originally Posted by Menkure
    Because it takes twice the levels to master an ability, the only abilities that you may be able to master are in the level range of 1 to 50, but no more beyond that.. (( to master an ability that is earned at level 50, you must take that school to 100. So there is a limit))

Hope that helps

-Menkure Salitis
    Sifu of the Flame
    This is somewhat true but apparently not 100%. I have kept evasive style IV which I got at lvl 98 ranger. Not sure why that is though.

Thread Information