Thread: A Warning to my fellow players. (Rare Comps)

Default A Warning to my fellow players. (Rare Comps)

It appears that certain techs and items will be harder to get, as a new class of components has been created, the Rare components. These components drop at a horrifically slow rate. To provide an example, one is the Snow Ogre Big Toe, required for Statistic: Health II, Fine Elm Heavy Round Shield, and Banner: Volcano. I spent well over an hour trying to get just 2 of them so that a friend of mine could put the Health II tech on a necklace for me, and with my level 73 Dragon alt, I was killing the ogres quickly and frequenty.

This appears to be the new reality, certain techniques will be effectively eliminated, because the components needed to get them are absurdly difficult to obtain. And no, Nadia doesn't have them, either. I just thought I'd let you all know. It's not that the comp your looking for doesn't exist, it's that you'll have to kill 50-100 of whtever is supposed to drop it just to get one. Have fun.

Default Re: A Warning to my fellow players. (Rare Comps)

kinda too low of a drop rate if you ask me.

Yay for game "improvements". I guess somewhere along the way excessive grind got translated into fun. Kinda glad I had almost all my scales/spells already done.
    Nayuaka and Nayukhuut. Freelance Helian lorekeepers of Chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadina View Post
    It appears that certain techs and items will be harder to get, as a new class of components has been created, the Rare components. These components drop at a horrifically slow rate. To provide an example, one is the Snow Ogre Big Toe, required for Statistic: Health II, Fine Elm Heavy Round Shield, and Banner: Volcano. I spent well over an hour trying to get just 2 of them so that a friend of mine could put the Health II tech on a necklace for me, and with my level 73 Dragon alt, I was killing the ogres quickly and frequenty.

This appears to be the new reality, certain techniques will be effectively eliminated, because the components needed to get them are absurdly difficult to obtain. And no, Nadia doesn't have them, either. I just thought I'd let you all know. It's not that the comp your looking for doesn't exist, it's that you'll have to kill 50-100 of whtever is supposed to drop it just to get one. Have fun.
    Heh, sounds like the drop rate I was getting on ALL comp hunting I ever did :/. RNG never did like me.

Butyea as Amon recently posted, there are certian comps that only drop on the mobs of the 2nd 1/2 of each tier, meaning if you're level 12 there might be some components that only drop off level 27 mobs. Those are considered the "rare" tier of drops.

Now, if the drop rate on the 2nd half of the tier is LOWER than the "regular" comps - I don't know if that is intended. I had read Amon's statement thinking that "rare" meant they only drop off higher-level-in-that teir and not ALL of XYZ in that tier. But wether or not that also means "they drop less than the components int he lower half of the tier" I ...can't say.

Component hunting for me has always been a grind, and from the numbers people are posting in the feedback thread - this has not changed much. Killing 105 monsters for 5 or 10 components is about what I did 3, 4, 5, 6 years ago. I vividly remember hunting in guild packs in order to mass-kill-grind a certain mob for 5 or 10 or 20 comps and 2-5 people spending 12+ hours to collect just ONE comp for ONE person's armor.

Those were the old days. I"m not seeing numbers being posted that says this has changed in any significant way.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    Heh, sounds like the drop rate I was getting on ALL comp hunting I ever did :/. RNG never did like me.

Butyea as Amon recently posted, there are certian comps that only drop on the mobs of the 2nd 1/2 of each tier, meaning if you're level 12 there might be some components that only drop off level 27 mobs. Those are considered the "rare" tier of drops.

Now, if the drop rate on the 2nd half of the tier is LOWER than the "regular" comps - I don't know if that is intended. I had read Amon's statement thinking that "rare" meant they only drop off higher-level-in-that teir and not ALL of XYZ in that tier. But wether or not that also means "they drop less than the components int he lower half of the tier" I ...can't say.

Component hunting for me has always been a grind, and from the numbers people are posting in the feedback thread - this has not changed much. Killing 105 monsters for 5 or 10 components is about what I did 3, 4, 5, 6 years ago. I vividly remember hunting in guild packs in order to mass-kill-grind a certain mob for 5 or 10 or 20 comps and 2-5 people spending 12+ hours to collect just ONE comp for ONE person's armor.

Those were the old days. I"m not seeing numbers being posted that says this has changed in any significant way.
    Well, maybe this will give you an impression. Snow Ogre Jawbones used to be comparitively rare. They were the sort of thing that would make you wince if you saw you needed it for a tech, and it's drop rate hadn't changed. In the time it took me to get 2 Snow Ogre Big Toes, I got 7 Snow Ogre Jawbones.

Yeah sure it sucks…
    I had to kill:
    173 T5 Scorpions for 4 components.
    109 Sand Crabs for 5 components.
    80-90 Enraged Yew Treants for 5 components.
    100+ for both Turgid Purple Weaver and Ravenous Bloodsnout for 4 Spider components and 8 Grouk components.

The Enraged Yew Treants (max 5-7 alive in field north of Harro) will probably take me an additional 160 mobs before I get all the components I need and I have no idea how long the 2 mobs in Spiritous Swamp are going to take.

The only thing we can do is count the precise amounts of mobs we killed in combination with the precise amount of tech components we have looted and report this to the devs. In case of rare components I read in another thread that according to Amon the devs attempt to keep a 72% (common) : 28% (rare) drop rate.

Count and report mobs that you think is bugged and hope that rare components are only placed on abundant mobs.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    Yeah sure it sucks…
    I had to kill:
    173 T5 Scorpions for 4 components.
    109 Sand Crabs for 5 components.
    80-90 Enraged Yew Treants for 5 components.
    100+ for both Turgid Purple Weaver and Ravenous Bloodsnout for 4 Spider components and 8 Grouk components.

The Enraged Yew Treants (max 5-7 alive in field north of Harro) will probably take me an additional 160 mobs before I get all the components I need and I have no idea how long the 2 mobs in Spiritous Swamp are going to take.

The only thing we can do is count the precise amounts of mobs we killed in combination with the precise amount of tech components we have looted and report this to the devs. In case of rare components I read in another thread that according to Amon the devs attempt to keep a 72% (common) : 28% (rare) drop rate.

Count and report mobs that you think is bugged and hope that rare components are only placed on abundant mobs.
    This is soem good advice. Thank you for the numbers.

Aye - I want to repoint out that point!

The best thing any of us can do when comp hunting is record exact numbers and give them back to the devs. That way if for whatever reason something is not working as intended, they can adjust.

I'd prefer NONE of these were heavily based on grind, but that aspect isn't going to leave the game. So all we can do is try and narrow down just how much grind it has to be.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Apparently, I most post a bit of a retraction.
    My mate and I have tested the rare comp drop rates a bit more, and it seems either something has changed since I first posted this thread, or I just have the worst luck in the world, but according to our recent tests, while the drop rates aren't exactly plentiful, they aren't nearly as bad as I'd originally surmised.

My apologies to the devs for my harsh appraisal.

Tested it for 2 days. Indeed- drop of rares I needed is satisfying!
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

So what you are saying is that most of the Snow Ogres have lost their big toes do to frost bite...no wonder they are grumpy.

Apparently, I most post a bit of a retraction.
    My mate and I have tested the rare comp drop rates a bit more, and it seems either something has changed since I first posted this thread, or I just have the worst luck in the world, but according to our recent tests, while the drop rates aren't exactly plentiful, they aren't nearly as bad as I'd originally surmised.

My apologies to the devs for my harsh appraisal.
    I find it varies between finding the rare comps once for every 20 or so Mobs to every 50 or so... Mind you I have a horrible luck with RNG's for some reason... I really really HATE RNG's... Mostly because they hate me.

So yeah... It can be extremely frustrating when what you need is like 8 Small Ruxus Skins because you need to spell craft for an up and coming Cleric and it takes you 4 hours to get them... I have some time on my hands here and there but uuugggh... I felt like passing out when I was done and it was not like I was getting anything else in the meantime that I cared about (this was Zarla hunting at lvl 74) nor do I find grinding fun in general so that was pretty similar to going to work - the paycheck.

That is just my thoughts on the drop rate of the rares... The normal drops seem fine and not a big deal. Also, NO ONE seems to hunt and sell regularly. I am glad for the change that makes putting comps on sale at comp consignors fee free to encourage them to do so but with Order's low population, and the fact that probably no one else feels like grinding those things either, it still inevitably leads to a shortage of needed comps.
    "Nothing Is Never Not... everything is never."-Vacuus, Lord of Nothing

These Rare comps are not to bad IF the mob that drops them is plentiful enough to support the fact but some of these (Enraged yew treant roots are a huge one..used in T&C V no less) that is absolutly terrible right now.

Ive killed over 200 of them (this had to take 3 ish hours a day for the past 7-10 days) and i have looted 1 total along with 7 mettles. Now considering i needed 10 for this scale set alone It seems that drop % plus mob rarity seems a bit extreme for a tech i need a lot of as do others.

I know this isnt the only one of its kind either but i figured id list my experience.

the only saving grace was my old WA comps allowed me to trade to nadia which is exactly what ill do for the 2 more scale sets with T&C V ill need for alts.

But what about anyone without those or even a newer player just getting up to that point?

I think increasing these mob spawns or reallocating a few comps of the rare variety to more huntable foes would alleviate this. Ive had no issue with some rarer comps ive hunted since despite it taking 100-200 kills to get 3-6 of the item there was a spawn to support it.

There is certainly not a spawn to support the enraged yew treant roots and thats with me being completly alone hunting the whole area.

Thread Information