Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The beginner islands

Default The beginner islands

Hi all.

When i started back in april 2004 my first town i came to was New Koraelia.
    Now and then i like to go there as I have alot of very good memories there.
    But the town and the whole island is total dead, emty for everything. And have been for a long time now.
    The same is it with New brommel and New Vassarak. Why?
    If there are any plans with the islands but not in a near future i would love to have mobs, npc ect back until a new design or plan is comming.
    Is that possible?

Best Regards
    Abbie: 100 Sorcerer, 100 Wizard, 100 Conjurer, 100 Chaos Warrior

Default Re: The beginner islands

Quote Originally Posted by Abbie View Post
    Hi all.

When i started back in april 2004 my first town i came to was New Koraelia.
    Now and then i like to go there as I have alot of very good memories there.
    But the town and the whole island is total dead, emty for everything. And have been for a long time now.
    The same is it with New brommel and New Vassarak. Why?
    If there are any plans with the islands but not in a near future i would love to have mobs, npc ect back until a new design or plan is comming.
    Is that possible?

Best Regards
    as far as I know, they are just there for looks and memories, would love if there was anything to look for on them though

There are no plans to bring them back at this time, certainly not as starter islands. We want to concentrate the population on New Trismus so that you have a better chance of being around other players early in the game.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

can we know if there are any future plans for them? seems a shame to let them go to waste, but then, it's not like they are needed for the space....
    just don't dump them without telling us, i need to take vel on a royal tour - i had never been to them until lov and flam's gnomekindle event
    would be nice to do some extended blogging on them when i get that darn complex done.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    There are no plans to bring them back at this time, certainly not as starter islands. We want to concentrate the population on New Trismus so that you have a better chance of being around other players early in the game.

Why not add ressourses and monsters to the other islands?
    Not the npc's.
    The beginner islands besides New Trismus aint islands newbies will get to right away as we have to port there from genevia.

So plz, add some things

Best Regards
    Abbie: 100 Sorcerer, 100 Wizard, 100 Conjurer, 100 Chaos Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Abbie View Post
    Why not add ressourses and monsters to the other islands?
    Not the npc's.
    The beginner islands besides New Trismus aint islands newbies will get to right away as we have to port there from genevia.

So plz, add some things

Best Regards
    How about this? Take the former resource and monster areas and turn them into t-1 though t-6 resource areas with the appropriate monsters. Raze the town portion and make it high end player housing areas.

They are not going to be adding anything to the beginner islands.

We are lucky that we can still travel there for nostalgia reasons as there was talk of removing them from the game entirely as there were too many people asking for stuff to be put on them again.

everything they add to the servers takes up memory. so making those islands void does not take up memory....the fact that the land is still their is because its either the islands or take time to remove the portals there and flatten the islands and turn them into ocean...which would take staff time and also not really take any less memory away since regardless that section is on the server

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Hasia View Post
    everything they add to the servers takes up memory. so making those islands void does not take up memory....the fact that the land is still their is because its either the islands or take time to remove the portals there and flatten the islands and turn them into ocean...which would take staff time and also not really take any less memory away since regardless that section is on the server
    Only active entities like mobs have a memory footprint, others take a database footprint (housing).

The only thing that starter islands take ATM are fond memories of a golden age. Since there are players enduring in Istaria since day 1, it'd be just an act of respect to have their fond memories kept warm.

I started on New Brommel. I was one of 500 hatchlings contending every sandstone node. When I progressed to Chiconis, we were 200 hatchlings. The Helian Home Town was so lively, so ... needed.

I feel sad at seeing New Brommel destroyed. I also feel sad at seeing how a ghost town Chiconis has turned out. Thinking with an optimizing logic you used, Chiconis should be erased next.

Yet I keep returning in Istaria and go visit New Brommel, Mahagra and Chiconis.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    Only active entities like mobs have a memory footprint, others take a database footprint (housing).

The only thing that starter islands take ATM are fond memories of a golden age. Since there are players enduring in Istaria since day 1, it'd be just an act of respect to have their fond memories kept warm.

I started on New Brommel. I was one of 500 hatchlings contending every sandstone node. When I progressed to Chiconis, we were 200 hatchlings. The Helian Home Town was so lively, so ... needed.

I feel sad at seeing New Brommel destroyed. I also feel sad at seeing how a ghost town Chiconis has turned out. Thinking with an optimizing logic you used, Chiconis should be erased next.

Yet I keep returning in Istaria and go visit New Brommel, Mahagra and Chiconis.
    Chiconis could also be turned into a area with high end lair spaces.

Another option would be that upcoming dungeons could be placed on them (they were going to put them in anyway being the theory...so why not use the space?)

Quote Originally Posted by joemarra052075 View Post
    Chiconis could also be turned into a area with high end lair spaces.
    Chiconis doesn't need any changes making to it (other than higher server population for more people roaming around it ... and when it was a T1 area, there were ALWAYS hatchlings around) .... besides, it's already got some nice lair spaces

Oh... the dungeons don't exactly exist in "normal" space anyway - hence why dragons can't fly in them - from what I understand they're located rather... geographic-up... from the ground.

Yes, it would be nice if there was *something* on the old training islands (I'm a New Koraelian myself, but the waterfall at New Vassarak is beautiful) but if it's a choice between them being left exactly as they are or removed entirely... I'd rather that waterfall stay right where it is.
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

Quote Originally Posted by Kesqui View Post
    Chiconis doesn't need any changes making to it (other than higher server population for more people roaming around it ... and when it was a T1 area, there were ALWAYS hatchlings around) .... besides, it's already got some nice lair spaces
    Ok np...but there are uses the beginner isles could be put to.

And I agree that if nothing can be done they should just be left alone...was just coming up with uses other than nostaliga for them.

(not familiar with the Istaria dungeon system that came about long after I left and before I came back so I could be messed up here...going to assume they run on a instance or something similar) Using that assumption could the entrance to the dungeon be on the old beginner isles? Maybe with 1 NPC that gives lore and quests for it.
    Last edited by joemarra052075; January 27th, 2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: hit submit too soon

Rvlion is a New Brommel hatchling right to the bone and still thinks fondly of the times he spend at the Ore and Stone fields and I was really devastated that New Trimus was chosen as the new beginner island.
    For a time I even refused to go to New Trimus at all, but I grew up (mainly because suddenly all resources in New Brommel were gone) and now I test every new spell I get like Vulcano or Drulkar's Wrath on the New Trimus grulets...

If lairs and plots will be placed on the island I would hope to be able to get one of them, would even trade my Dralk lair for that.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by joemarra052075 View Post
    (not familiar with the Istaria dungeon system that came about long after I left and before I came back so I could be messed up here...going to assume they run on a instance or something similar)
    Not that they run on instances - the actual "physical" location of the dungeon is not geographically "right next to the entrance" - it's somewhere above the highest possible flight level. Which is why dragons can't fly in the rift, in the Doom and presumably not in Vandus' Tomb either.

So sure, a dungeon entrance *could* be put on one of the (out of the way and nearly inaccessible unless you know where you're going) original beginner's islands... but why would they, when they can put the dungeon entrances in normal, more accessible places - like the new Ashlander's Tomb dungeon, and the future Helian's Tomb, whatever that winds up being like.
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

Quote Originally Posted by Kesqui View Post
    Not that they run on instances - the actual "physical" location of the dungeon is not geographically "right next to the entrance" - it's somewhere above the highest possible flight level. Which is why dragons can't fly in the rift, in the Doom and presumably not in Vandus' Tomb either.

So sure, a dungeon entrance *could* be put on one of the (out of the way and nearly inaccessible unless you know where you're going) original beginner's islands... but why would they, when they can put the dungeon entrances in normal, more accessible places - like the new Ashlander's Tomb dungeon, and the future Helian's Tomb, whatever that winds up being like.

Cause you could have a whole storyline of when the islands fell into disuse somthing nasty moved in...and I doubt it would be hard to connect them better...assuming you would want too...good opertunity for players to explore.

Doing a memory(and notes) search originally all the starter islands were clones of new tris new tris was the first starter island and the one you got dumped to before they came up with the biped/drqagon starter islands im not sure how far into the game that they actually channged the layouts of the other starter islands. Now that mymisty eyed trip down memory lane is over, It would be nice if they did find some use again for them. Perhaps the islands could be used for Holiday event locations so we can add to our fond memorys of new korella etc
    Given enough time and the proper temperament anything doable in game is possible
    Confectioner first last and always

Quote Originally Posted by Vandellia View Post
    Doing a memory(and notes) search originally all the starter islands were clones of new tris new tris was the first starter island and the one you got dumped to before they came up with the biped/drqagon starter islands im not sure how far into the game that they actually channged the layouts of the other starter islands. Now that mymisty eyed trip down memory lane is over, It would be nice if they did find some use again for them. Perhaps the islands could be used for Holiday event locations so we can add to our fond memorys of new korella etc
    I don't know about New Tris being the first...but I remember being supprised when it became the only. New Bremon had a larger population at the time they consolidated the islands and it was a bit of a shock. Actually was one of the things that convinced me to leave the game at the time (there were alot of other factors, including my whole family at the time going over to WoW, my whole guild going over to WoW, having to end process to fully exit the game..ect..ect..ect...so glad they have fixed that problem).

I`m very happy that these Islands are still accessable for us.

They provide us with a wonderful scenery for player- organized events.
    I got so much good feedback for the winter event I ran there.
    And still have ideas for more. The area is inspiring
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    I`m very happy that these Islands are still accessable for us.

They provide us with a wonderful scenery for player- organized events.
    I got so much good feedback for the winter event I ran there.
    And still have ideas for more. The area is inspiring
    Now that sounds like a blast.

Thread Information