Thread: graphics freezing

Default graphics freezing

ok here is the issue im having, my comp after being in game from anywhere from 1 -10 mins freezes up, game doesnt crash, but my screen is frozen, only way to fix it is to reboot my comp, while im frozen i hit caps lock, to see if key board is working, as if only my video is messed up, the keyboard caps light should work, it doesnt light up, my video drivers are up to date. ive tryed swapping out my ram, same thing happens. ive eliminated my proc cuz if it were bad i couldnt even get as far as i do, did a full virus scan and im clean. im an amature comp builder and there are tons of things i dont know about, but in my opinion it sounds like my mobo is failing, im posting this here cuz this game has some of the best ive ever met when it comes to tech issues, ive ruled out proc,vid card,ram, please if anyone has some ideas let me know, i have an asus a7v266-mx mobo ready to do a rebuild, im currently using a matsonic ms8177c mobo, i just wanna try everything else b4 i do a ground up rebuild....btw after this comp im never gonna use ati or amd components again. gimme your thoughts

Gothos of Chaos, second Saris of Istaria to achieve adventure rating of 278

Default Re: graphics freezing

If you have eliminated all the obvious hardware causes (by swapping out) then it suggests software/OS/driver corruption.

Is it just Istaria affected?

Have you ran in debug mode and checked the debug logs for any errors or is there a maura dump file.

Have you downloaded a completely separate install of Istaria and ran that install to see if the same problem occurs.

Are you running the live client or blight client or alpha client?

All else fails rebuild is probably best.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

it happens with all games and even sometimes while im on facebook

That suggests video card (VRAM) or RAM but if you have swapped them out then its not that.

Rebuild unfortunately Gothos
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

ok, unfortunatly i dont have a good agp vid card to use:
    ( not one with enough vram to run the game, one cool idea is the vid card im using is the only vid card i have ever used in istaria, over 7000 hours of in game play, so ide say it worked well for 5 yrs, now im gonna take it out and bury it in a small grave in my back yard, its an end of an era

i ran the dxdiag test and my card failed the ram test, at least now i know exactly whats wrong, time to find a new card, i am thinking of going with nvidia, ati's support stinks.

i have a bfg geforce 6800 gt ultra agp video card on its way, ive never used nvidia style cards, my question is, for those who might know, is that card better than the ati radeon x1300 agp? both are 256 meg but the bfg is ddr3 as where the ati is ddr2, any feed back would be appreciated

ddr3 is a generation up from ddr2 so the answer would be yes (in theory)
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

ok so im using the new vid card, it seems to be operating perfectly by all the tests ive run, the issue i have now is when im in game theres tons of random pixlating and objects ,like mobs,terrain, etc flash in bright colors, please if anyone knows what this might be let me know, im about to take a very large hammer to my comp

Quote Originally Posted by Gothos View Post
    ok so im using the new vid card, it seems to be operating perfectly by all the tests ive run, the issue i have now is when im in game theres tons of random pixlating and objects ,like mobs,terrain, etc flash in bright colors, please if anyone knows what this might be let me know, im about to take a very large hammer to my comp
    Does it do that in any other games, or just Istaria?

Rakku

Gothos, I dropped you a PM.
    Dakoren Ironhand - Multiclassed Half-Giant
    Krondel Bloodclaw - Ancient Dragon

If you are still running AGP, its time for a complete rebuild.

Your video card has died. The motherboard can't be far behind. Unless you can get a video card that fits for less than say $50, I wouldn't invest any money in a machine that is on its last legs. Replacing the video card might buy you 6 months, a year if you are lucky. The new video card will likely be more powerful, draw more juice. That means your power supply and motherboard will be under heavier loads than they were previously. i.e. any weak components they have are now going to fail at an even faster rate.

Replace everything, especially the PSU and mobo (which means you might as well upgrade the CPU and RAM while you are at it).

If they're well looked after many components can last a seriously long time. My dad is still running my original Horizons pc (built 2003). Clean it out every now and then, make sure the fans are spinning freely and the heatsinks are clear of dust ... that thing is as rock solid stable as when I built it. Asus mobo's can be truly awesome. The only issue was the top end graphics card it had, some monster overclocked Nvidia 4400 (? I think) with video-in encoding onboard, quit while playing and gave some truly pretty crashes when it was only 2 years old.

That thing is agp and is now running a Nvidia 7800GS 256mb, and that thing flies (for the time anyway). I doubt with your pc that it's a motherboard issue now, and I'm of the opinion that the new graphics card is pushing the PSU too hard. The Ati X1300 uses much less juice than a 6800 Ultra Gt. At a guess I'd be using at least a 400w supply with your system.

You might well have the problems sorted already. I hope you have good luck sorting it out.

Rakku

I believe Dakoren worked out it was a PSU issue that Gothos is having, his PSU isn't powerful enough for the new graphics card.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

thats exactly right Chasing, i installed a 400 watt psu today, i plan to get a 650, but anyways the game runs better than ive ever seen on my rig, for the 1st time in 4.5 yrs i was able to crank up the in-game graphic settings and it looks and runs great, i realize im trying to keep older style hardware going, atm is my only option, no matter what i do next, i am most certainly gonna use nvidia geforce graphics, i wanna give a huge thankyou to Dakoren ,Lycarious and Zen for helping me, Lyc and Zen supplied the vid card, and i cant forget to thank Steelclaw for the mobo he supplied a year ago , last time my rig crapped out, this is why Istaria is the best game, and im just glad im a member thanks all

Fantastic news...

Rakku

Thread Information