Thread: Hahaha.... and it's no small wonder why the economy is not getting better

Default Hahaha.... and it's no small wonder why the economy is not getting better

So, I'm taking a paycut. A serious paycut thanks to brainless bureaucrats that feel we are not entitled to 'break pay': Spring and Winter.

Great! Know anyone hiring for three weeks over Christmas? One week over spring break? I thought not. I thought breaks were supposed to be breaks, not 'work to make sure the rent is paid'.

I already save up during the year so I can have a job free summer. Looks like this year won't be so. *sigh* I was looking forward to a year where I wouldn't have to file taxes.

Oh guess what I found out yesterday? Bus fare rares are going up by nearly $2. WTF. It already costs me $18 to go in to school each day.... So much for my reward at saving money.

Also, due to paperwork problems I won't be paid this month. -_- I get it back next month, but I was looking forward to paying off my cc bill. I hate you economy.

Default Re: Hahaha.... and it's no small wonder why the economy is not getting better

I am sad for you, Shian
    I hope you will still have enough money...

Default Re: Hahaha.... and it's no small wonder why the economy is not getting better

at least you have a job. i can't even find one....

i just hope it turns around so i can at least get employed. hope it gets better for you Shian.

And I hope you'll find a job quickly, Romirez. *winghugs

2 years without a job was hard- so I know what you are going through.
    I cross fingers for both of you!
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Don't you just love it, Shian, that part of the tax money that comes out of your paychecks is going into the welfare system, and that bums who get on welfare, don't feel like working (the ones who are lazy, who don't care about getting a job), they get that money.

Yes, bums and drug addicts are getting YOUR money. There's this meth addict who lives with his junkie meth addict GF, they live near one of my co-workers IRL. Said Co-Worker lives within walking distance of my workplace, and they get free rent, free utilities and enough foodstamps to support the both of them...

Neither one of them have jobs, and they get to go to the meth rehab clinic...

All of this....

On our dime.

But yet, me, who works hard 5-6 days a week, am about to lose my medical insurance at the end of the month (that I had to pay $36 per month for). I have the option of going to another plan that I have to pay $162 for (ouch compared to the one I had) because they "ran out of funding". *rolls eyes* I'd apply for medicare, but our 3-person family is right on the income line and I doubt they'll give it to us... yet the drug addicts get that crap for free and they don't even have a job.

Nice.

(Edit: Note: I am in no way making fun of people who are honest, hard-working citizens, or citizens who are honest and trying to find jobs, but can't... it just makes me irate that people who don't even try, or people who are drug addicts, get handed all kinds of money and benefits while hard-working people can't get the help they deserve).

I work for a wellfare organisation for more than a year now.
    It was kinda dream job for me all life long.
    All was fine as long as I could do my job in my nice cozy office.

But we all now have to do some "street work" regulary.

What I saw there .. I see myself as a warm-hearted, tolerant person.
    But some of my clients I would not even give a piece of bread.
    They missuse our social sytems in a way that I call criminal.
    They simply do not want to care for themselves or even their children.
    They do not think about looking for a job. They take for granted that the government does.
    And they get a lot of help here in Germany. Free health and life insurance, rental fee gets paid, they get clothes and furnitureAND cash money each month.
    Some of them have more free money than my friens or me earn.
    No wonder that so many migrants come to land of milk and honey Germany.

But there are the other ones: Those who are seriously ill (so many who suffer from cancer), old people who have only 100 Euro a month to live from-but have worked all life long. Single mothers at the end of their strenghth (cause fathers vanished-never could be found again), young people with not such a perfect education economy is looking for a.s.o.

The last group gives me the reason to go on. They are still a slight majority, and they deserve all help we can give.
    I still believe in social solidarity.

But I think those who missuse the systems and charities will be majority soon. And ruin our social system we all have worked and paid for since end of worldwar II.

I understand how you feel in these cases, Lovwyrm...
    And yes, you are a warm-hearted, tolerant and nice person. *hugs
    I seriouly hope the ones who misuse the system won't become the majority, and that the government will do something.

It is interesting (and saddening!) to hear that the USA isn't the only place where Welfare is being abused to all heck and back.

A question though... are people truly in need being turned down for welfare like I see over here? My coworker barely makes it month-to-month and she can't afford a car or car insurance (she has to walk to work or be driven back and forth by people she knows), and she doesn't qualify for welfare. My own family as I mentioned before, we're not sure we can get it either.

A lot of people who really do need it, can't get it.
    The people who shouldn't have it, get lots of it.

Arrrgh. It is so frustrating.

I'm curious if this is going on over there too.

And yes, Lov... I'd have to say you're one of the kinder people I've had the pure pleasure of meeting in an MMORPG. Most people are out for mememememe and very few will do the things I've seen and heard you doing.

I'd like to someday give back to the community, but unfortunately, RL circumstances, time restraints, etc make it difficult for me to get 'up there' where I could help or give something in return.. but mayhaps some day I can.

The US economy`s failing terribly. taxes are going up, gas prices, and food prices are soaring to record highs, and our government`s handing everything to immigrants. yeah America`s doomed >.>
    oh! and get this! employers are now posting in their wanted adds "Will only be considered for employment if currently employed" so those of us who have been fired/layed off, are "Screwed"
    I may hate my job, and be slave driven, and treated like dirt, but no way I`m quiting. if I do I`ll NEVER find another job. heh these are sad times. I can`t even afford a meesely tiny 1 bedroom appartment in my area, even making 13 buck an hour isn`t enough to make it by these days. least not with a car payment, and I need my car O.o
    Personaly I`m fed up with congress, employers, CEOs, and all those hotshot rich people. All we are, are our SS numbers, and nothing more. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Duck View Post
    The US economy`s failing terribly. taxes are going up, gas prices, and food prices are soaring to record highs, and our government`s handing everything to immigrants. yeah America`s doomed >.>
    oh! and get this! employers are now posting in their wanted adds "Will only be considered for employment if currently employed" so those of us who have been fired/layed off, are "Screwed"
    I may hate my job, and be slave driven, and treated like dirt, but no way I`m quiting. if I do I`ll NEVER find another job. heh these are sad times. I can`t even afford a meesely tiny 1 bedroom appartment in my area, even making 13 buck an hour isn`t enough to make it by these days. least not with a car payment, and I need my car O.o
    Personaly I`m fed up with congress, employers, CEOs, and all those hotshot rich people. All we are, are our SS numbers, and nothing more. :P
    I've gotten to where I am disliking the government more and more myself.

For example, Obama has been pushing his healthcare stuff out, he wants everyone to have healthcare. Well, that's noble and all, but he's not attacking the root of the problem:

The _cost_ of healthcare.

You can't just hand out free healthcare to everyone, the only thing you'll succeed in doing is bankrupting the entire nation. To truly help with the Healthcare problem, they need to attack the reasons why Healthcare is so expensive in the first place.

Why do pills, given out in the hospital, cost 1000x the price that they do in the grocery store? You can buy a whole bottle of Tylenol for $3-5, but one single pill given in the hospital can cost upwards of $50. Don't believe me? Next time you're in the hospital, look at the itemized bill. That Tylenol isn't some magical 'make you all better' pill... it is the very same acetaminophen tablet that you can buy from any Wal*Mart. They are 800mg in the Hospital, 200mg from Wal*mart, so.... duh. Just take 4 of them if you want the same affect.

They need to put a lid on some of this stuff, and start attacking the reasons why healthcare is so expensive, instead of just handing out free healthcare, but I didn't hear any talk of "Let's find a way to make healthcare more affordable" .... no it is "Everyone needs to have healthcare, let's make it into law!"...

Bah.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

speaking as someone who just got the last week of unenjoyment, i am with romi....
    but what goes down must come up, as they say!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

You can't just hand out free healthcare to everyone, the only thing you'll succeed in doing is bankrupting the entire nation. To truly help with the Healthcare problem, they need to attack the reasons why Healthcare is so expensive in the first place.
    But the reason Healthcare REALLY costs so much is beause we as Americans are frickin UNHEALTHY!

Right now 1/3 of all of us are either overweight or obese. In 10 years, that number is expected to be 2/3rds. TWO THIRDS! IN TEN YEARS! And in 10 years, at the rate we go now - healthcare WILL be bankrupt due to the health cost of overweight and obseity ALONE (not even counting alllllll the other health issues or even if it is universal or not...)

By 2018 if we continue to go along the unhealthy track, we, as Americans, think is our god-given right to be - then we will bankrupt the system with NO other expenses needed.

And I'm not preaching to the choir here - I too am overweight and struggle with weight loss and being healthy. I know I'm part of hte problem.

But when you speak of "addressing the problem" its far more than insurance costs, expensive hospital bills, etc. The real problem is US. US as humans.

As I shall always say, "Humans are Stupid, and They Suck" - and yes, that means me sometimes too .

More on topic - I am about Universal Health care myself, simply because of the need in this country for everyone to afford health care regardless of wether they "deserve it" or not.

I just simply can't live with my karma of the "well its abused so we need to get rid of it" (because I agree with all others have said on that subject). The fact is, because Humans Suck and are Stupid - no matter what system is in place to help those who need it, those who don't abuse it. That's just humans and that's how it is. There's no way to make it fool proof (though certianly things can be improved, but it still will have abuse..).

I just can't find it in me to then say "well then we shouldn't provide it at all." My consciousness won't allow it. I'm still for Universal Health Care and I really feel we are killing off millions of people in this country just because they can't afford basic, to me, necessary, health care treatment. So yea, I'm quite willing to pay higher taxes or have more of my check% cut out in order to provide this for all. Because one day, I might need it too. (And have been on unemployment myself, with medical conditions that will not allow me to allow my insurance to lapse so I have been at least partly there).

There but for the grace of god - could go any of us. So no, I can't just agree with "peole abuse it so we should get rid of it" and there's no way to keep abuse out. Every country with any type of "welfare" or "social assistance" has the leeches. You just can't let that harden your heart to those who truly deserve and need.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

I totally agree with with you Frith.
    Esp. universal healthcare is the best thing we have here in Germany.
    And its organized in a way it cannot be missused.
    And we all pay for it- and that is only a small contribution to those who are sick and would not survive without.

I was talking about the fact, that you can live here (in Ger) without having to work and have everything and more, than those who get up every morning to go to work all life long.
    And that they can have children- every year a new one- without thinking about how to raise them and how to give them a humane future.

But universal healthcare is out of the discussion.
    Every civilized society has to have that.
    You cannot live a happy life, if your neighbour is suffering from cancer, or the friend of your child is dieing due to a children`s disease.

But the reason Healthcare REALLY costs so much is beause we as Americans are frickin UNHEALTHY!
    Part of the reason why so many Americans are so unhealthy, is prescription medication that is unnecessary.

Cholesterol medicines ("statins") are a big offender here.

I've read enough evidence on the internet to make me believe that the pharmaceutical companies did in fact lower the Cholesterol "line" to encourage more doctors to stick more patients on a never-ending statin prescription, and then they start blasting adverts all over the TV, trying to scare people into going out and trying to convince their doctor to get prescriptions for Lipitor (the biggest offender, the one you always see ads for).

Do the people have any idea what statins like Lipitor do to a person, long-term? I know what it did to my dad -- he took Provachol (very similar medicine, does the same thing) and he came down with the muscle weakness and pain very quickly. And then, three years later, guess what? He has diabetes, just like various sources on the internet claim.

His Cholesterol was a little higher than the "line" set by doctors and pharmaceutical companies, sure... but was it high enough to warrant coming down with diabetes and permanent muscle damage? NO.

So how many patients out there are coming down with diabetes partly because of statin medications? I bet the number is pretty high -- I've heard cases of them putting children on statin drugs these days. Children. When's the last time you've ever heard, or seen, a <30-year old person die of a heart attack or other heart disease-related conditions, unless they were abnormally obese (300+ lbs) or uncontrollably addicted to energy drinks?

One of my Co-Worker's two sons are hardly obese -- the one almost looks anorexic. She was told that both of her sons have "High Cholesterol" and "preventative" medication should be considered.

I gave her all that information and warned her about these pills -- she said she was going to stall the doctors as long as she can, and try to keep her kids eating as healthy as possible.

It isn't just Americans eating unhealthily -- it is also partly America's addiction to prescription pills. Many of these have very bad side-effects which can be just as costly, if not moreso than just plain eating unhealthily.

the economy will not recover so long as the Corporations continue
    Out-of-control Profit-mongering and Greed. Capitalism at its most
    decadent and corrupt.

Higher Profits, Lower wages, Less Jobs, More unemployment.

THEY are killing the "Golden Goose" (Economy).

Costs for Healthcare aren't going up because of the new laws. Actually
    it is because the Insurance corporations and big Pharma do not
    want to lose their $$ billlions in profit a year.

The same with Gas/Energy companies. Prices go up and suppression
    of newer technologies continue unabated.

My belief is they are all Traitors and should be tried and put in
    Gitmo. If I had stolen billions, I suffer no delusions they would throw
    me in a deep hole for the remainder of my natural life.

Prices of food are going up too!

We have a great recipe for tacos that uses buffalo meat. In the last two weeks, the meat has been pulled from the shelves and simply not sold anymore.

When we asked the butcher about it, he said price for it has gone up $2 a lb. People don't buy it, it goes bad so they just don't sell it anymore.
    Atlantic salmon which we used to get on sale for 6.99 is now "on sale" at 8.99.
    What?!

Even chicken, certain cuts of beef and pork is starting to skyrocket

What's going on?!

Beef/Buffalo I could understand. Maybe feed prices went up, so meat has to go up to but how is it all going up at once?

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Prices of food are going up too!

We have a great recipe for tacos that uses buffalo meat. In the last two weeks, the meat has been pulled from the shelves and simply not sold anymore.

When we asked the butcher about it, he said price for it has gone up $2 a lb. People don't buy it, it goes bad so they just don't sell it anymore.
    Atlantic salmon which we used to get on sale for 6.99 is now "on sale" at 8.99.
    What?!

Even chicken, certain cuts of beef and pork is starting to skyrocket

What's going on?!

Beef/Buffalo I could understand. Maybe feed prices went up, so meat has to go up to but how is it all going up at once?
    As the value of the US Dollar (I assume you live in the USA) falls, the price of -everything- will go up.

Again, Mr Obama and his "print more money!" at work here. The government printing presses just keep churning out Franklins day and night, faster than old bills are removed from circulation. This causes each dollar to be worth less in gold. If, say, a Gallon of Milk is worth X amount of gold, and say, 3 Dollars is worth X amount of gold... if the US Dollar falls 10 percent in value, A Gallon of Milk is still worth X amount of gold... however, 3 dollars is no longer worth X amount of gold; it now takes $3.30 to buy that same X amount of gold. That's why you start seeing milk for $3.30 instead of $3.

I'm not saying Milk is actually worth $3, I'm just using ballpark figures to make a point.

That makes sense thank you

Thread Information