Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How would YOUR character sound?

Default Re: How would YOUR character sound?

Awdz the gnome
    Pitch: I always kind of think of Awdz's voice as higher-pitched than my rl alto; maybe mezzo-soprano or even soprano kind of range?
    Tone: It's soft and gentle, though, definitely not whiny or nasal. Light and full, with lots of laughter bubbling easily off of it too.
    Accent: Classic no-accent striven for by American telemarketers.

Awdzy the dragon
    Pitch: Hmm... probably closer to my rl voice (alto), as she is young for a dragon, so higher-pitched than most other dragons, which I think of as having deep voices. Maybe she is as low as a tenor, even.
    Tone: A rumbling undertone that I somehow associate with all dragons. Sort of a drum timbre to it.
    Accent: Mid-west Canadian.

hmmm....given a dragon's anatomy, with even a hatchie like Tullamore having a very large resonating chamber in his chest, any sounds issuing forth would almost certainly be low-frequency - I'm thinking of the extremely low-pitch rumbles of elephants, as the best example. Add to that the variously sized resonating chambers in the varying dragon skulls, and you get a wide range of harmonics...possibly even a trumpet or flute-like effect, with air being forced through the chambers in the skull and out the nose or mouth.

Whether or not a dragon actually "speaks" whatever Common Tongue is used in Istaria, or if it's a form of "mind-speak," I still hear the voice as being something like a lower-register "Mrs. Doubtfire." Deep, but, since he's still a hatchie, not *too* deep, and with a very discernible southern Irish brogue. Maybe (and, I'll be dating myself here), an unholy mix of Mrs. Doubtfire, Barry Fitzgerald and James Earl Jones...
    Always speak politely to an enraged dragon.

Easy - Andaras would sound exactly like Liam Neeson's
    voice portrayal of Aslan in Narnia.

It depends which server board I think is which.

*throws down a primal rebirth on this thread* Why'd this thread die?

Racktor would have a gutteral rumbling voice, but usually rather calm sounding and non-threatening. Almost like you'd hear in most movies for an elder dragon; EX a deeper version of Draco's voice from Dragon Heart.

Dorokane's voice is similar ot Racktor's, but he always talks very low and almost in a whisper. His voice isn't as deep and sounds more hatchling/adult-ish than like an ancient, and due to his split-lip head shape, he cannot pronounce "s" and replaces it with "z". So his voice is buzzy.

Sayaria sounds a lot like me irl; her voice is higher pitched than most females, and always filled with energy. Sounds a lot like a hatchling, despite her size. Her vocal cords either were worn down with use or never truly developed. xD She almost always shouts.

Zikari would have a droning, "handsome"-like voice as an ancient. Right now it's very hatchling-like, but still has that teenager-like deepened edge to it. He speaks flatly, with little emotion to males and a wavering, teasing voice to females.

Teikera has a soft, whispery voice Dorokane but a little more higher pitched due to being female, and she speaks louder than a whisper, but not loud enough to be called 'normal'. She has a very intelligent sort of lilt to her voice that you hear from very old people/whatever in movies, and speaks in fluent k'Eilert Erdoten. She has a small, unknown accent.

Siria also has a bit of an accent, but her voice is very low for a female, and very very cold. It's whimsical, but threatening, and she almost always speaks in a growl to everyone. Her voice sounds like mine and I could mock it.

Arciere has the 'average' male 20-30 year old voice you hear everywhere. He speaks generally low and grumbly, as if he's always in a bad mood. He has a small scottish sounding accent.

Raysian has that stereotypical "bully" voice; he's full of himself and speaks loud and proud all the time. When offended, he stutters, but usually speaks without thinking. His voice is high for a male, due to his youth.

Did I miss anyone? xD

I love your descriptions racktor!
    Now i shall try to give mine

Agua - Agua would have a very mature and confident voice, but also very soft and kind. Able to sound fierce but able to comfort a frightened hatchling. I picture her voice not being high at all but not low either, but if i had to choose one it would be lower then normal. She tends to always speak with a softness/knowing/wisedom in her voice. She also tends to throw a soft purr into her voice when speaking to a loved one or hatchling or growl when angered.

Lolaya- Being a saris i just picture lola having a very mysterious nature. So keeping that in mind lolaya was raised by agua so she tends to throw purrs into her words but more often then Agua because it just comes naturally to her. Lolaya also has a low voice lower than Agua's but still feminine. When she talks her comments are usually short and vague. And she tends to always be smirking about something. The volume level of her voice varies and she usually talks just at a normal level. Sometimes if she is being sassy her voice will sound like everything is a question or like she is leaving a part out.

Well thats it, not nearly stated as well as others but heh thats my girls

It depends which server board I think is which.

Thanks Agua. ^^ But I like your descriptions too, I can imagine how they sound. :3
    (I wrote visualize by accident instead of imagine..)

Given my penchant for mimicry, you'll probably never hear my actual voice.

The first thing that comes to mind, however, is melodious.

Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Everbudee be knowin wud Zzilmath be zoundin lahk, eev dey be zbendin muj tahm een de mahkedplez.

That aside, Ssilmath's voice is low pitched but smooth. The only time it sounds harsh is while Ssilmath is laughing, which sounds more like a bark than a laugh. Reinforce's voice is high and breezy, almost squeaky when she gets excited.
    Ssilmath Torshak, Paladin of the Lost, Shaman of the Damned, Master Armorsmith

My other "crack would be cheaper" hobby
    http://ssilmath.deviantart.com/

Having taken voice lessons since I was knee-high to a gnome, this subject has always interested me.

Given the physical characteristics, I'd guess that Dragons would have two distinct voices, as humans do: their chest voice and head voice. With even hatchlings having a resonating chamber the size of a small car, I'd guess that all Dragons would be able to make sounds at or below the human threshold of hearing, i.e., below 20hZ....think of the rumbling sounds of African elephants for a real-world example.

The head voice would be more complex, given the variations in dragon-skulls, but, I'd say that all would be able to make clear, ringing, flute-like sounds; the longer the skull, the lower the pitch of sounds a Dragon could make, from trumpet to trombone and probably tuba, to use more real-world examples.

Since a language primarily makes use of the easier sounds (i.e., chest voice), when a Dragon is speaking the Ancient Tongue, my guess would be that it would sound deep, dark and rumbling; the Common Tongue, on the other claw, being made up of foreign sounds, might use more of the head voice, giving the Dragon a more high-pitched voice.

In Morinare's case, even as a Level 100 Adult, he's a bit more slender than many of his contemporaries, and, I see him as having a slightly higher-pitched chest voice...still quite capable of hitting those bone-shaking, sub-audible rumbles but usually above the audible threshold. Given his long, slender skull, however, when he's speaking in the Common Tongue, I "hear" him with the lush sounds of the oboe or clarinet.

An interesting question, and, to carry it a bit further, would almost require that Dragons have exceptional hearing, as well, including a much wider frequency range.
    Cogito, ergo sum Draconem.

Kumori has sort of a hiss to his voice and you could call the tone of his voice a bit menacing. It wouldn't be too deep however and maybe even a bit quiet.

Serrah's manner of speaking is a bit snappy and curt most of the time but when she actually feels like carrying on a conversation she talks smoothly and her voice would be a bit deep for a human female and very airy, if that makes sense.

Regyu's voice is a bit rough, and most of the time he seems a bit indifferent while speaking, he sounds serious even when he's not and his voice is quite deep, not exactly like this...but a relatively close example would be Piccolo from Dragon Ball Z.

Pearion tends to sound cheery and calm, his voice is a bit high pitched, but not so much you can't tell he's not a male. He enjoys saying words very clearly as well. When distressed he tends to talk very quietly, almost to the point of not being heard.

Kyka's voice is a bit deep for her age, making her seem a bit older, it's also very smooth and harmonic due to the fact she likes to sing...sometimes. She tends to sound a bit more childish when confused though, and generally her voice isn't as clear as any of my other characters' voices, unless she's singing, or carrying on what she deems a very important conversation. For the most part, this is because she tends to speak a bit rapidly.

So there are descriptions of all my current characters' voices.
    You look down on me, but you don't look down on me at all. You smile and laugh and I feel the love you have for me...I think we're going somewhere. And we're onto something good here. We're gonna make it after all.

I guess I never really thought about this... Well I did at one point, then went to look for VO's I thought matched the character's voices in my head, but then I got stuck in the void known as tvtropes and never climbed back out the hole...

Shian's a no-nonsense sort, so I'd imagine her as having a bit of authority to her voice (something like how a royal would speak idk how to describe it.) whether she has authority or not XD It would be clear and a bit louder than normal speaking voice. It would be a relatively low pitch.
    I tell myself that's why she's mistaken as male often. I haven't found a good example for her though.

Ricar would easily have a deep rumble, something you would peg as 'evil' voice. In my head he sounds like the late Tony Jay though a little less heavy on that British accent. He's got that short snout, so playing off of Morinare's idea that the pitch in his voice would be much lower isn't all that far off. Yay.

Brightheart would be very chipper, so her voice would be somewhat high but not whiny high. I've imagined her as having a Russian accent for some reason.

Tenkako has a high pitched, whiney voice. Something like a seven year old girl's though when embarrassed or upset, she can make it really soft and low.

Keserith I imagined to be a mumbler. Someone who dosen't pronounce his words sharp enough so that they kinda run together. Add in a low, gravely voice and he's got a few communication problems. XD

A Russian accent?? Oh, my....didn't even THINK about accents....

All *sorts* of possibilities there.....
    Cogito, ergo sum Draconem.

Got to thinking about this. In all honesty, my character would sound like:

It's just a character/toon and never intended him to sound like anyone or anything, nuff said

Spoilsport.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Quote Originally Posted by Hoberton View Post
    Got to thinking about this. In all honesty, my character would sound like:

It's just a character/toon and never intended him to sound like anyone or anything, nuff said
    Haters gonna hate XD

well sparkyfires voice would sound calm when shes happy or contest but more like a squeal when shes excited but when shes angry she tends to add a snarl in when shes talking

Thread Information