Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: school Switching

Default school Switching

Would it be possible to switch between schools on the fly instead of going to the vairious trainers each time? Of course you would need to see the trainer the first time. Maybe make this feature the end result of a quest.

Default Re: school Switching

Would be nice, but it would make the game far too easy.

Imagine if you could pick what you wanted to be. Be a tank class during battle, then switching to healer once your health got low? Yeah, no. Part of the game is choosing what class will work best for a given situation. You could also level some crafter schools far too quick for the game to be fun.

Alternativly, make it so you could switch on the fly only once an hour, if you want to switch again before taht hour is up you have to visit your class trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcei View Post
    Alternativly, make it so you could switch on the fly only once an hour, if you want to switch again before taht hour is up you have to visit your class trainer.
    that would be cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post

Imagine if you could pick what you wanted to be. Be a tank class during battle, then switching to healer once your health got low? Yeah, no. Part of the game is choosing what class will work best for a given situation. You could also level some crafter schools far too quick for the game to be fun.
    the hour cooldown listed above would solve that problem. Also make it so that you can't switch while in combat.

Thumbs down I do NOT think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post

I agree for Adventure Schools but for Crafter the current system is ridiculous. Your comment on that is the equivilant of saying "How about when you are crafting we add in an additional 5 minutes between when you hit the button and actually begin making anything. After all we would not want the mind numbing grind fest to go by too quickly.".

Honestly, if you are coming at that from the perspective of a Dragon then try some plot building as a Ped sometime with no help from anyone else and come back and say that again.
    "Nothing Is Never Not... everything is never."-Vacuus, Lord of Nothing

Default Re: I do NOT think so.

I too think that for crafting anyway, its a bit ridiculous to have to make each trip everytime you want to level up or alter how you gain exp.

What/who does it hurt by me NOT having to run out to dralk to swtich to DCRA vs. LSHA. Doing it once an hour, on the fly, if its a craft school - I don't see how that little bit of less-time-consumption will really hurt anything.

Adventuring on the fly I can see how that would create issues. One hour timer probably still takes care of it but if not, fine.

But for crafters - come on! I mean..come..on...
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

What about better planning of your activities so you don't have to switch schools very frequently?

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

I'd support this for Crafters, but not so much for Adventurers, unless there's a way to prevent this from being done In Combat.

Instead of us seeking out a trainer, how about another idea:

In all shrines' Right-Click menu, place a "Change Schools" option there. You could only change to a school that you are already a part of, though.

This would make it so that changing schools could ONLY happen at a shrine (very few of which are anywhere near mobs you fight, and nearly impossible to do this during combat).

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    I'd support this for Crafters, but not so much for Adventurers, unless there's a way to prevent this from being done In Combat.

Instead of us seeking out a trainer, how about another idea:

In all shrines' Right-Click menu, place a "Change Schools" option there. You could only change to a school that you are already a part of, though.

This would make it so that changing schools could ONLY happen at a shrine (very few of which are anywhere near mobs you fight, and nearly impossible to do this during combat).
    That is another good solution to the problem. (I was specifically thinking of crafting when i made this thread, specifically switching between dragon crafting and dragon laircrafting. Is even more an issue if you are a biped with gatherer/miner.)

I don't agree. It's not a problem, nor an issue, it's just like it is. Look up the trainer and switch, it just takes some time, that's it.

Hurray! Mor
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!

it's not a problem, would just be a nice convience

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkuu View Post
    Honestly, if you are coming at that from the perspective of a Dragon then try some plot building as a Ped sometime with no help from anyone else and come back and say that again.
    Please stop with the Biped vs Dragon thing, you constantly seem to forget that bipeds have indeed multiple plot building schools, but you only need 1 type of resource per school, while dragons might only have 1 school we need 2 or 3 different resources per Unit we have to make. Also are your thoughts about how difficult bipeds have it with 40 schools vs 3 dragon schools is clear to all…

As for the Suggestion… In a strange way it might seem logical, but from this games point of view I would vote NO.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

I honestly don't see the problem with allowing us to change schools at a shrine, instead of having to run down trainers, and trying to remember (especially if you're a biped) where all the trainers are for all of your 30 million schools. Some towns have some trainers, others have the rest.

"I want to change to X school.... um, where's that school's trainer again!? Argh I can't remember.... time to alt-tab.....oh wait, I can't alt-tab.... that crashes the game. I have to LOG OUT to look it up!"

It gets old and redundant, and fast. I can't remember the locations of 30+ npcs! Sheesh. That's a bit ridiculous, especially when the game does NOT allow Alt-Tabbing (it crashes every stinking time).

Edit:

Suggestion #2: Place two NPCs near each Town's Shrine, name them "Adventure Master" and "Craft Master". Greeting them pulls up a list of what schools you can change to. The NPC checks your character to see if you have been in that school previously, otherwise the NPC says "I'm sorry, but you have to visit a trainer first. You can find them at ______".

Nobody says you cannot keep a list of trainers next to the computer like the dragon spreadsheet Chasing recently updated. It just would not be worth the devs time at this time. Maybe in the distant future...
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

I honestly don't see the problem with allowing us to change schools at a shrine, instead of having to run down trainers, and trying to remember (especially if you're a biped) where all the trainers are for all of your 30 million schools. Some towns have some trainers, others have the rest.

"I want to change to X school.... um, where's that school's trainer again!? Argh I can't remember.... time to alt-tab.....oh wait, I can't alt-tab.... that crashes the game. I have to LOG OUT to look it up!"

It gets old and redundant, and fast. I can't remember the locations of 30+ npcs! Sheesh. That's a bit ridiculous, especially when the game does NOT allow Alt-Tabbing (it crashes every stinking time).

Edit:

Suggestion #2: Place two NPCs near each Town's Shrine, name them "Adventure Master" and "Craft Master". Greeting them pulls up a list of what schools you can change to. The NPC checks your character to see if you have been in that school previously, otherwise the NPC says "I'm sorry, but you have to visit a trainer first. You can find them at ______".
    I really like this one

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    Nobody says you cannot keep a list of trainers next to the computer like the dragon spreadsheet Chasing recently updated. It just would not be worth the devs time at this time. Maybe in the distant future...
    How long do you think it would be, to code an NPC that says something like:

"Hello, <name>. I've traveled Istaria far and wide, and have learned many things. I hear you're on your way to learning many different things as well. Allow me to help you remember things from adventure schools you've previously joined!"

Adventure School: Warrior <change the player's school to warrior when clicked>
    Adventure School: Cleric <change the player's school to cleric when clicked>

etc etc for all the adventure schools.

Then do the same for all craft schools, and then copypasta those two NPCs to each town right beside the shrine.

It'd take what, an hour at the most?

And...

Nobody says you cannot keep a list of trainers next to the computer like the dragon spreadsheet Chasing recently updated
    I have enough crap sitting near my computer as it is. I don't need to further clutter that with information that should either be found in-game, or information that shouldn't be necessary to function in-game.

MMORPGs that -require- one to look things up to get things done in a reasonable amount of time are an archaic model. Time to get out of the stone ages I think. This is one of the few annoyances left in Istaria, and it'd be so easy to solve. My only question is, "why not"?

MMORPGs that -require- one to look things up to get things done in a reasonable amount of time are an archaic model. Time to get out of the stone ages I think. This is one of the few annoyances left in Istaria, and it'd be so easy to solve. My only question is, "why not"?
    Because it was stated that Istaria isn't about leading you around by a magical glowing yellow trail. This is actually one of the few games left where you might actually have to learn something via exploring and apply what you learned.

For those that don't want to bother learning, there are spreadsheets to print out or mappacks that tell you where everything in the game is.

If you have a brain, why not use it? It's not going to wear out.

Hurray! Mor
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!

I wanted to say that this suggestion was not about not learning where to go. I know where the trainers I need are. This was about spending 4 hours outside of Mahgera (sp) making slate bricks and iron bars, then recalling and porting to Dralk to switch to laircrafting, making the finished product, brining it to my daughters lair in between par and kion, then heading back to dralk to change back to crafting, then once again back to mah to continue making bricks and bars.

Thread Information