Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I rant about...well, pretty much everything.

Oh THAT isn't a creepy question at all. Begone HTML formbox!

Wink I rant about...well, pretty much everything.

Rather sorry for this people. Alot of you are going to read this and just go :| at me. But I have to get some of this tension out and just admit I few things that I feel are wrong with the current in-game community and maybe a thing or two about the content.

Please take note! {Chriscrokervoice} IMMA HUMAN BEEN {/Chriscrockervoice} and I too can make mistakes when it comes to my observations. If I have made any incorrect assumptions, you are free to correct me and I appreciate that.

I also wish to make it clear that I am in NO way accusing anyone in particular and I in NO way have any particular qualms with anyone. I dislike fighting with people. In any way. I personally love many of the people here. You are some of the most talented, artistic, and just...beautiful in every way people I have ever met. Anywhere. And Yes. I am hitting on you all :> ...or perhaps not.

And as a final note: This rant...really applies to the Order Shard. I have not been to the Chaos shard in a long, long time and I am planning to make an alt for Blight later.

-------------------------------------------------------

Right! Let's get this convuluted mess over with. Let me begin with this - Roleplay. Let us admit, alot of us take it VERY seriously. Infact sometimes (I admit, me inculded) we lose our temper with others and yell at them for making mistakes. Sometimes purposely due to inexperiance, sometimes for the correct reason, and sometimes incorrectly. Many times we apologize and forgive the others.

But riddle me this! Is it not normal that after arguing with someone, you usually (even if you are sorry) garner a little bit of extra distrust and hatred towards them? Sometimes I can feel a bit of that. Either towards me, or towards another player when I am just looking through the chats. Now I am cursed with...not really being on during the peak periods sometimes! But when I am I cannot help but notice it sometimes. I know that it is impossible to have EVERYONE be friends. The community is still the correct amount of size for there to be rivalries and arguments. But sometimes it is directed towards people that - like me - do not want any sort of arguments. I do not know about you all, but I find this distressing.
    ------
    What I also find very bad is the fact that many people resort to - and believe me I think everyone has heared me rant this one to death - PRIVATE ROLEPLAYS.

Ladies and gents. I do not mind private roleplays. I do not mind you taking yourself and three others to fight eachother or make an IC revelation together in a private place. No. The one I am talking about is when a player begins a fight or begins doing something in a public roleplay area or a channel, and either makes sure that EVERYTHING if followed to the letter and NOONE is allowed to intervene, or get mad when someone tries to change the outcome. I've seen it...three times lately. Why? I mean, I understand you wish to make something like that public spectacle but...just FACE it. If you do it in public you WILL have people that will include themselves. There WILL be people that try to augment the outcome. Your crying is in vain. Dry your tears up and try again. Perhaps this is simply a rare occurance. Perhaps not.
    ----

My THIRD problem. Now to switch subjects a bit to make it interesting. Time for me to speak about content. Now this is not a bash against the developers - your game is beautiful. And I find it unique. But there are things I find a bit annoying.

I personally don't really like the spell system. We all have our opinions but...I do not know. For dragons? IT seems a bit comfortable. But for bipeds? I am not sure. It feels a bit awkard, even after I get used to it. Anyone else have this problem?

And another thing is a VERY minor rant , with an adiquite explanation. I really wish there was more content. NOT TO SAY THAT THERE IS NO CONTENT RIGHT NOW. The game is BRIMMING with places to explore and quests to do and roles to try! But I just feel some thrill when a new area is released - a new questline...something fresh.

That is simpy my opinion. I know that due to community and technical problems, it cannot exactly be done but...just saying.

-------

Well, back to the previous topic. Thiiiis is something I've discussed with others before...but I want to make clear. I really do not agree with speaking for others. Nor proclaiming yourself "ubor pupular". I've seen it happen around here before, players arguing or simply having casual converastions only to state what "others thing of him" or "I've got more right - I'm far more popular amongst people". While yes. Let us agree. If there's this one person everyone thinks is ok. You can sort of go in thinking that they seem fine...but that just scares me when people turn popularity into worth. For me - everyone is alike. If I have respect for someone it is for their CONTRIBUTIONS and how they treat me. A tad selfish, yes. But it is how one sometimes feels. I myself am very concious of what others think. Anyone that's spoken to me knows that sometimes I get a little bit paranoid - mostly because of how I am used to being treated.

Well. Listen to me...er...read to me rant I should just stop here.

I thank you all for taking your time to read this, know that this is simply to get some frustration out. I ment to offend NO ONE and would not like to.

G'day <3,

Fix.
    We're all stuck in a mess of relationships,
    that go on with or without you.

Default Re: I rant about...well, pretty much everything.

don't have a lot of time other than to say - no worries o yoru rant mate - looked fine to me - its what we're here for .

And I agree with you on point two. If you don't want people to jump into your "Scene" then don't RP it in front of them . I'm not watching tv. I'm in a interactive game!
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Totally in agreement that one shouldn't bring a storyline into public if one doesn't want anyone from "outside" to join or affect the outcome. Roleplaying is not really a spectator sport. If you're RPing in public, you should be aware of, if not welcoming, the fact that anyone who sees it can potentially join in, and their input could easily drastically change the outcome of any given plot.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    Totally in agreement that one shouldn't bring a storyline into public if one doesn't want anyone from "outside" to join or affect the outcome. Roleplaying is not really a spectator sport. If you're RPing in public, you should be aware of, if not welcoming, the fact that anyone who sees it can potentially join in, and their input could easily drastically change the outcome of any given plot.
    What if you wanted a storyline to be public. I decided I wanted to try RP and made a character on the order server. As soon as I had set up my ui and channels I did a opening bit about arriving in spirt isle and how and why I was heading to kion to become a monk. I did this all in character. I was told that while it was a nice RP attempt, the role-play chat channel took place in a valley or forest clearing and just had people sitting around in it talking to each other. It was suggested that I bring my RP to the forums.

*sigh* so much for that

Quote Originally Posted by joemarra052075 View Post
    What if you wanted a storyline to be public. I decided I wanted to try RP and made a character on the order server. As soon as I had set up my ui and channels I did a opening bit about arriving in spirt isle and how and why I was heading to kion to become a monk. I did this all in character. I was told that while it was a nice RP attempt, the role-play chat channel took place in a valley or forest clearing and just had people sitting around in it talking to each other. It was suggested that I bring my RP to the forums.

*sigh* so much for that
    Don't take it wrong, joemarra... it is only that the other players who were RPing on the channel were considering their characters to be on a valley. In this point of view, they should likely not be able to notice nor interact, ICly, with a character travelling on Lesser Aradoth, far from the valley. Roleplaying means making characters interact with each other, and they can't see what another character is doing if this one is too far from them. If you want make your character interact with others while travelling towards Kion, you can still ask me and others, and we can settle a meeting in another channel we would create for that.

I was told that while it was a nice RP attempt, the role-play chat channel took place in a valley or forest clearing and just had people sitting around in it talking to each other. It was suggested that I bring my RP to the forums.
    Well.. the roleplay channel does generally work that way. I was the one that said something about the forums, but I did not say "take your RP to the forums." What I did say was something more along the lines of "What you are doing (basically telling readers the story of your character) is more akin to what some people are doing in writing "journal" entries for their characters on the forums." What I would have suggested was to try RPing in local (Main tab) chat, as that RP relates more to what you are actually doing in the game.

The post I saw you make in RP chat, while it was fairly well-written, was less actual roleplay and more just straight up telling a story (as I saw it). The difference being that in roleplay, the goal is to get people to respond to your posts, not just to read them.

Now, if you meant for people to be able to respond to your post, then it would have been difficult for them to do so because of the way that RP chat is generally used. Characters that are ICly in RP chat are in the RP chat area, generally seen as a forest clearing with a nearby lake or something similar. The details aren't that important.

What is important is the fact that it is its own area. So, while you posted that you were on Spirit Isle, the other characters in the chat were in the RP area, and thus could not really respond to that. (If one really wants to get into it, they were also dragons, and dragons cannot get to Spirit Isle in any way, so.. they couldn't possibly be where your character was anyway.)

Now.. perhaps you actually meant to do something entirely different than what I think you did. If so, then only you can explain what you were trying to do. Can't read your mind. :3

I welcome you to come back to the Order shard for another go. In no way did I mean to even imply that you were not welcome to RP in whatever way you wished. When I was speaking to you, it was only with the aim to make your experience on the server the best it could be, and I assumed that you would want people to reply to your posts, to roleplay with you.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Totaly agreed. Sadly there was a time when I was considering quiting the Order shard due to feuds between a few players. who all liked, and wanted to RP with me, I felt stuck in the middle, and feared they`d all hate me simply because I enjoyed talking to all of them even though they hated each other. I still have issues like that, where a play holds a grudge against another, but I stay out of their arguments, but always end up in the middle if I RP with one of them. O.o
    This can make it extremely stressfull, and often times made me feel like giving up on the game entirely.
    I think people should leave others out of their grudges, and not bring anyone in the middle of their feuds. My biggest problem is people who always mix IC, and OOC, and bring an IC situation into an OOC argument. I try to discuss a RP idea OOCly before I even begin a role play. just to make sure everyone who is involved is ok with it, but even then sometimes once others begin RPing, players can get angry, and start up an argument. That`s just part of MMORPGs sadly when you`re playing with multiple people, not everyone`s going to take what you type the same way as each other, and someone might take it as offensive.
    As for game content, yeah it would be nice to see new stuffs. I often wish we could swim, but adding something like that would take a lot of work, and money to do. an entire game revamp would need to be done to add swimming. :P New quests are often added. after the Dalimond ridge T2 revamp, an all new questline, and world content were added, and there`s Dralnok`s Doom as well! and Acid breath, which is a new dragon breath ability. So they are adding new stuff constantly. however it does take time to do it, and lots of planning. I`m sure the developers take note of all our ideas, and many are used. There are still a lot of bugs that need to be worked out in the game, but all in all, it`s beautifully done, and I think the funest MMO I`ve ever played.

Well.. the roleplay channel does generally work that way. I was the one that said something about the forums, but I did not say "take your RP to the forums." What I did say was something more along the lines of "What you are doing (basically telling readers the story of your character) is more akin to what some people are doing in writing "journal" entries for their characters on the forums." What I would have suggested was to try RPing in local (Main tab) chat, as that RP relates more to what you are actually doing in the game.

The post I saw you make in RP chat, while it was fairly well-written, was less actual roleplay and more just straight up telling a story (as I saw it). The difference being that in roleplay, the goal is to get people to respond to your posts, not just to read them.

Now, if you meant for people to be able to respond to your post, then it would have been difficult for them to do so because of the way that RP chat is generally used. Characters that are ICly in RP chat are in the RP chat area, generally seen as a forest clearing with a nearby lake or something similar. The details aren't that important.

What is important is the fact that it is its own area. So, while you posted that you were on Spirit Isle, the other characters in the chat were in the RP area, and thus could not really respond to that. (If one really wants to get into it, they were also dragons, and dragons cannot get to Spirit Isle in any way, so.. they couldn't possibly be where your character was anyway.)

Now.. perhaps you actually meant to do something entirely different than what I think you did. If so, then only you can explain what you were trying to do. Can't read your mind. :3

I welcome you to come back to the Order shard for another go. In no way did I mean to even imply that you were not welcome to RP in whatever way you wished. When I was speaking to you, it was only with the aim to make your experience on the server the best it could be, and I assumed that you would want people to reply to your posts, to roleplay with you.
    Thank you Raptress. I do want to rp with others and share what my character is doing. The concept I had in my head was that if I did a introduction then begain RPing my journey, others could join in as they saw fit. I tend to be on the move alot (even when crafting I am doing somthing) and only occasionally sit in one place and just chat in RP. To me that would get old quickly, and wouldn't be in keeping with a character who is studying at the Kion Monestary and under his Master's instruction is undertaking training in the magic school of spiritist, as well as performing the usuall apprentice hard labor (doing crafts...hmmm...think I need to enchant my pick to mine for me...hmm...buried under a ton of copper and tin instead of water...tough call). I am still plaing that character, I just have been doing it quietly.

Like I said though, my main goal was to present in a RP fashion what I was presently doing in game, so that when other's came across me they would have some clue as to what was going on...there were be a story instead of just a cat mining ore or beating up sand beetles.

I would appriciate advice on how to do that better. Part of my frustration with what was said was that I look and there was no one on most of the other channels and no one near me. I kinda felt left out in the cold. I was planing on doing things like posting how about being lost in RP or in character frustration on not being able to do somthing or missing some equipment. The concept being that those who felt the urge could come to the area I was and RP that senerio out with me.

Ok, I'm not fealing well and rambeling, might not be making sense....please forgive if I am not.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by LungTien Temeraire View Post
    Don't take it wrong, joemarra... it is only that the other players who were RPing on the channel were considering their characters to be on a valley. In this point of view, they should likely not be able to notice nor interact, ICly, with a character travelling on Lesser Aradoth, far from the valley. Roleplaying means making characters interact with each other, and they can't see what another character is doing if this one is too far from them. If you want make your character interact with others while travelling towards Kion, you can still ask me and others, and we can settle a meeting in another channel we would create for that.
    I will be happy to do so when my character heads back to Kion. Currently he is doing hard labor to improve his discipline in the resource fields of NT (IE he is doing the crafting quests for the 3 main schools). When he is done with that (and he is almost finished the first of the 3) he is to undergo a trial (the trials of the gifted) then return to his master. (And yes I know the monk trainer won't have any quests for me...but I might rp out a quest from him...shoot...doing the trade skills is just that...a rp created quest).

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Duck View Post
    Totaly agreed. Sadly there was a time when I was considering quiting the Order shard due to feuds between a few players. who all liked, and wanted to RP with me, I felt stuck in the middle, and feared they`d all hate me simply because I enjoyed talking to all of them even though they hated each other. I still have issues like that, where a play holds a grudge against another, but I stay out of their arguments, but always end up in the middle if I RP with one of them. O.o
    This can make it extremely stressfull, and often times made me feel like giving up on the game entirely.
    I think people should leave others out of their grudges, and not bring anyone in the middle of their feuds. My biggest problem is people who always mix IC, and OOC, and bring an IC situation into an OOC argument. I try to discuss a RP idea OOCly before I even begin a role play. just to make sure everyone who is involved is ok with it, but even then sometimes once others begin RPing, players can get angry, and start up an argument. That`s just part of MMORPGs sadly when you`re playing with multiple people, not everyone`s going to take what you type the same way as each other, and someone might take it as offensive.
    As for game content, yeah it would be nice to see new stuffs. I often wish we could swim, but adding something like that would take a lot of work, and money to do. an entire game revamp would need to be done to add swimming. :P New quests are often added. after the Dalimond ridge T2 revamp, an all new questline, and world content were added, and there`s Dralnok`s Doom as well! and Acid breath, which is a new dragon breath ability. So they are adding new stuff constantly. however it does take time to do it, and lots of planning. I`m sure the developers take note of all our ideas, and many are used. There are still a lot of bugs that need to be worked out in the game, but all in all, it`s beautifully done, and I think the funest MMO I`ve ever played.
    Btw Darkwing, I just submitted a new quest via the approved quest submission method in the announcements forum. I keep checking my e-mail to see what the devs think but I try to be more than just talk about the things I believe...and I believe in this game.

*sigh* so much for that

I never understood that. it is the ROLE-PLAY channel, not the "I'm in a valley" channel. Besides. I have seen plenty of roleplays there taking place OUTSIDE of the valley with multiple participants.

Smile Re: I rant about...well, pretty much everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Duck View Post
    Glad to see bright minds think alike! I also have had that problem in the past. For me the REAL problem I have right now is the lack of people WANTING to roleplay with me (not quite sure of this is because they dislike me or if they are busy) and the lack of roleplay thereof. I -hate- the fact peak-roleplaytime begins around an hour to 30 minutes prior to when I usually have to poof in a weekday , and I'm usually too tired to join in! D:

I must also agree. So many people Mix IC and OOC. Sometimes without even noticing it! And when someone points it out they pretend to act all knowing and be like "Lolderpwhateveryousay". WRONG attitude to go about things.

And finally I must also agree, some mroe updates would be nice...but once again - you're correct. They ARE adding things constantly. Perhaps not UBERFAHST but at a decent rate! Things change weekly it seems from what I've observed and there's plenty o' content to go around!

I will be happy to do so when my character heads back to Kion. Currently he is doing hard labor to improve his discipline in the resource fields of NT (IE he is doing the crafting quests for the 3 main schools). When he is done with that (and he is almost finished the first of the 3) he is to undergo a trial (the trials of the gifted) then return to his master. (And yes I know the monk trainer won't have any quests for me...but I might rp out a quest from him...shoot...doing the trade skills is just that...a rp created quest).
    Hey! If you ever need anyone to roleplay with him...I'm always up and RPing quests can be fun!

Thumbs up Re: I rant about...well, pretty much everything.

Mis-understandings can happen! You where right to tell him to take it to the forums if you suspected he was posting a journal in the right place. And it seem some people ARE able to read your mind. e.e I know what you are thinking.

I personally think that the whole 'keeping Roleplay-chat's location tehlake/river' thing is a bit out-dated. Then again the chat is designed to be a public can-be-anywhere roleplaying area. But if someone wishes to interact with others in it...it would be wise to ask them where they are ICly! Or if you want a different location and they are unable to get there - ask them to perhaps play a suitable alt? Or turn into SUPERJEBUS and be in two places at once. I cannot really think of any other ways

Quote Originally Posted by Fix View Post
    I never understood that. it is the ROLE-PLAY channel, not the "I'm in a valley" channel. Besides. I have seen plenty of roleplays there taking place OUTSIDE of the valley with multiple participants.
    Yes, it is a Role-Play channel, and the characters who were roleplayed at this time were ICly considered by their players to be in the valley. The roleplay in a channel can't take place at two or several places at once. If we want to determine another area to roleplay, it requires OoC discussion before to change the area in which the characters are.

Quote Originally Posted by LungTien Temeraire View Post
    Yes, it is a Role-Play channel, and the characters who were roleplayed at this time were ICly considered by their players to be in the valley. The roleplay in a channel can't take place at two or several places at once. If we want to determine another area to roleplay, it requires OoC discussion before to change the area in which the characters are.

Wrong. It CAN be in different places at once.

I've seen instances of it.

Show me an official rule or a chat rule making that OBLIGATORY and THEN that is how it must be.

Otherwise people are free to do it where they want.

You mean that, in a public channel, there may be like 2 or 3 characters interactions in a valley, and 2 or 3 others doing the same, but at Dralk?
    wouldn't it be a bit confusing if players join the RP and, considering they are at Dralk, or on the valley, they would possibly be mistaken and make their characters interact with those who are at the other area?

They should travel over there then IF they have a reason to.

If the roleplay chat is only supposed to take place there, then go ahead and petition that it's name is permanetly changed to something along the lines of "This takes place in somerandomplace."

It isn't that the Role-Play channel 'must' be located on the RP valley, with trees, rocks, and a lake, but a large part of the roleplayers on this channel are considering, currently, that the RP area is there. If some players wish to change the RP area, other players will need to be informed of this, and an OoC discussion will be required.
    OoC discussion is very important in this case.

That is a no-brainer right there. You where giving me the impression that you where insuating that players MUST simply roleplay in that one area and have no choice. If a majority of roleplayers play in that area, that is their choice.

The simple remedy is asking It's wise to ask where a roleplay is taking place before jumping in. While it is confusing...what if a newbie DOES join the roleplay channel? What if they're told nothing and meets a friend. They jump in and roleplaying...let's say Kion. They put that in their establishing post.

The point being - I misunderstood you.

Thread Information