Thread: Logging out question

Default Logging out question

I heard that a recent change that happen when one logs out now it will clear world cache, is this true?

this is bad news for those that duel log. if a toon is logged in and if one logs in a second toon and has the clear world cache option selected this screws up that game for both toons that will be logged in making the game unstable and can prevent the world from loading.

so if im duel logged and log out a toon and that clears the world cache i will then get the same issue making the world unstable and not loading right.

I have learned to only do clear world cache with the first toon only that i log in.

and on the argument to log the game using seperate installs i tried that and it seems to run at a 40% hit to my FPS.

Default Re: Logging out question

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Hasia View Post
    I heard that a recent change that happen when one logs out now it will clear world cache, is this true?

this is bad news for those that duel log. if a toon is logged in and if one logs in a second toon and has the clear world cache option selected this screws up that game for both toons that will be logged in making the game unstable and can prevent the world from loading.

so if im duel logged and log out a toon and that clears the world cache i will then get the same issue making the world unstable and not loading right.

I have learned to only do clear world cache with the first toon only that i log in.

and on the argument to log the game using seperate installs i tried that and it seems to run at a 40% hit to my FPS.
    They might have made clearing the world cache option the default (I know it was for a while after a revamp) but we used to be able to reset it. However, I do not see it on my corner gem --> options --> options tab so I do not know where we'd go to do that. Was it also a checkbox on that website that is no longer in use?

The Launcher has an option on the page where you pick the character to log in that allows you to select clearing the world cache. Is that checked for you?
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

Any one know an answer to this question?

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Tagath and I have dual logged on several occasions, Blue Hasia. What we've found is that until both instances of Istaria are shut down, the world cache doesn't seem to be cleared. Of course, the safe way around this is to go to Options, Options tab and near the bottom, you'll find the option to clear world cache upon exit. If you don't feel comfortable with it doing this automatically, just make sure this box is left unchecked and click ok. You can still manually clear your world cache from time to time by the old standby of being logged out, going into your Istaria world cache folder, selecting everything and hitting the delete button.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

All options that have a clear world cache are un checked. The only time i do clear world cache is the first toon that i log in for the day. I used to be able to log one toon out and log another one in without the issues causing issues to the other ones logged in. But since the patch it has.......but as of yesterday doesnt mater since my pc fried.

All options that have a clear world cache are un checked. The only time i do clear world cache is the first toon that i log in for the day. I used to be able to log one toon out and log another one in without the issues causing issues to the other ones logged in. But since the patch it has.......but as of yesterday doesnt mater since my pc fried.
    So was the world cache clearing issue solved? (and no I do not count it being moot due to a fried pc as solved)

My pc fried two days ago due to a brown out? I can't log in. I am accessing the boards via my itouch and driod. The only people that can answer this question really are the staff which they seem not to want to answer? It's either a yes or no answer from them? Not sure they do not want to post a reply?

Blue, I just took a look in my Client's Options window, and I do not see the Clear Cache on exit anymore. It was probably removed because if someone left it checked, it would cause more problems than solve. But if I remember right, you would check it, log out, it would clear the cache as well as reset the checkbox in options back to unchecked. Probably they simply moved the functionality to the launcher.

But I can also tell you that what you heard was incorrect from what I can see. My worldcache is still intact, files going back to August 30, 2009. I probably flushed it after that august 2009 client update came out and they said you needed to flush once.

I do think the launcher option to clear world cache stays checked... (I dont want to try it myself because refilling world cache is a chore), so whoever told you it does that probably has the checkbox checked in Launcher options.

I just tried dual-logging and logging off one while keeping the other character in, and I'm not noticing any problems. Of note, however, is that I'm using the Java launcher that I'm not sure was ever actually officially released because after I installed it to try it, it knocked out the old launcher and I've been too lazy to try and fix it since the Java one works just fine. I can't seem to find which thread I got it from now though. >.>

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

From a (client) design point of view, the client should not be clearing the world cache upon every log out. That completely defeats the purpose of having a world cache.

Now, from a reality point of view, if that's indeed happening, it's not supposed to and needs to be confirmed and investigated. (Hint: start with the client build number, displayed in red text in /window fpswindow)

As a side note, there's a file in the world cache that contains the sector version numbers of cached sectors. This file gets periodically rewritten without any file locking. It's quite possible to corrupt this file as a result of running two instances out of the same directory. The result is effectively the same as clearing the cache -- you have to download new terrain because the client doesn't know what the version of each of its cached sectors is.

Finally, giving players the ability to run multiple instances of the same client on the same computer was deliberate. Previous incarnations of the client would only allow one instance to run at a time -- and that check was removed. Now, whether or not the ability to assist leveling an alt with an existing character goes against the designers' intentions is a different matter and transcends the ability to log in multiple characters on the same account. That's a design issue, and I'm not going to pretend to know what the designers' intentions are. Regardless, of what they say, if anything, no outcome justifies attacking another player.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

i submitted a support ticket today got an answer was told their is no clearing of cache on log out, so this must be something new that is going on since the big patch (the one that changed portal list to not be in order any more)

Ok, lots of clean-up here. Keep it on-topic please.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    From a (client) design point of view, the client should not be clearing the world cache upon every log out. That completely defeats the purpose of having a world cache.

Now, from a reality point of view, if that's indeed happening, it's not supposed to and needs to be confirmed and investigated. (Hint: start with the client build number, displayed in red text in /window fpswindow)
    Well not saying its from the client, I know I have the "clear world cache upon logout" checked because...I honestly dont remember.

I remember that once upon a time it served a purpose as far as lag or maybe leakage or something; that it was of benefit to clear the world cache when we/I logged out. So it remains checked.

I just can't remember why that was so...lol.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Eep! does this include folks who use a seperate computer to duel log? I never use the same computer. too hard on the CPU
    usualy I use my laptop for my secondary RP only character, and my main desktop for the main game play/RP character XD

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    I remember that once upon a time it served a purpose as far as lag or maybe leakage or something; that it was of benefit to clear the world cache when we/I logged out. So it remains checked.
    The option to clear the world cache should be moved to the Java launcher/patcher soon, if it hasn't already.

It was probably in the client originally to allow players to clear a corrupted world cache. (Which does happen sometimes, even with a single instance.)

Stop clearing your world cache and you'll notice ports take a lot less time.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Oh I know it takes less time to port, but honestly porting has never been a problem for me (they are quick, and I don't crash lol).

I was just racking my brain trying to remember what the reason was - as there was a real, positive, benefit for clearing your world cache upon every logout... I wouldn't have checked it unless there was a benefit once upon a time lol.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Thread Information