Thread: temp gone

Default temp gone

Brown out just fried my pc, and a few other things.so will be away for a while now

And yes pc was on a surge protecor. I even installed a whole house surge protector in my panel
    I can still visit the boards on my droid for the time being.

Default Re: temp gone

*serves Blue Hasia an [Imperial Urn] full of klava to tide him over until he can return*
    good luck with everything, hope you get back sooner rather than later!

Well news update,it seems the power company was working on the power lines in a neiboring town and a fire started and caused a black out in two cities. I'm glad I filed my claim report 20 mins after the brown out. Ill have the power company reinburse me for my damaged pc.

Wow, insane man. Hope to see you back in game really soon!
    Shinobai - 100rng/100hlr/100war/80monk/65dru/80mage/65sprt
    Crimson Dawn - Chaos Shard

Shins Draconic - 100adv/85drc/what's lairshaping?

I don't think I will be able to get you those earfins for a while shin you remember in game when I went my tv just went poof, it happened then. So far damage found are a few popped lightbulbs my router went bonkers and a pc that can't boot

Ouch, sorry to hear.

I use a 1500VA UPS on the PC, 2 more on the home theater (One for the receiver, other for everything else), and one on the cablemodem,router,server.

So yeah, 4 big 1500va UPS's. Kinda expensive, but handy for many reasons. Brownouts are bad, ups protects from those.

I got lucky and bought all of mine from CompUSA before they went out of business, for $150 each. Now they all cost about $380 each.

Just went to staples and picked up some ups, a 1500va a 1300va and 2 450va all with avr tech ( automatic voltage regulation) never buying another surge protector again. I was under the impression that surge proctectors also defend against brown outs. Guess not.

Ps some one needs to keep my spot warm in bristgo for me and and spread the drool.

got an eta on your return?

Mabye two weeks? Mabye sooner if i can repair the pc that was at my parents house it boots up but do to alot of smoke that got into the machine the fans sound horrible and i want to replace them. And not even sure if that one will stay booted it came out of the house dry but water still could have gotten into it and wet some parts, it surived a house fire.

So how long until you develop a twitch or something from not being able to log on?

Would not be so bad if dragon age 2 came in the mail already.

Sorry to hear! hope you get it fixed soon! my main computer`s on the rizt too just got a tech to clean up all the viruses, and malware, but now I`m getting a Windows error, but it wants me to install Windows XP SP3, CDROM.. well I only got SP2 on CD. so I might have to put MORE money into it to buy the SP3 CD to fix it :P
    I`m only lucky I still got my laptop I can surf the web on *crosses talons*

The service pack upgrade cost money? never tried this methOd myself dark but is their a way to download the service pack onto a cd on another pc?

Huh! Popped light bulbs do not sound like a brown-out (brown out = voltage goes below normal for awhile).

Sounds more like you got hit by a sustained spike -- long enough to burn out the surge protection in the surge protectors (the MOVs probably did what they were supposed to do). Depending on the design, a UPS might be able to protect your equipment in a future incident like this -- the design needs to switch over to battery as soon as the input voltage goes above a certain threshold. Some only switch over to battery if the input voltage goes /below/ a certain threshold. This sort won't help you in an over-voltage situation.

Good news that you can get reimbursed. Bad news is you need to start with a new power supply and test *everything*. My experience with plugging 120v gear into 208v sockets and general blown power supplies has been that ram consistently gets toasted in the most annoying fashion -- the ram module works just well enough to POST, but fails a memtest.

Do *not* power up until you have a new power supply in the box. Also, do not try to boot into windows, or even plug in the hard drives until you've successfully run through a couple memtest passes. Skip the memory/cpu tests and you risk trashing your data when windows tries to write to the disk.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Thread Information