Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any update on freezing abilities?

Default any update on freezing abilities?

so when will are abilities get fixed from freezing all the time?

Default Re: any update on freezing abilities?

yes....this is VERY frustrating and I hope it gets fixed ASAP
    "State your case, but do it well. I do not suffer fools gladly." ~Sereamha Balla-dor

Not sure if this is any help, but when I was on Blight yesterday I didn't come across this happening once. Also noticed a new 5m attack radius message when you intiate combat with free movement off.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post
    Not sure if this is any help, but when I was on Blight yesterday I didn't come across this happening once. Also noticed a new 5m attack radius message when you intiate combat with free movement off.
    guessing you were lucky Chase, cause I did get the freezing of my abilities while hunting stuff

When starting that new character of mine the other night, chose Warrior, and wouldn't you know it, very first Power Attack attempt, it says "Try using Power Attack instead of the Attack Button to initiate combat!"

What it DOESN'T tell you, is that if you attempt to use an ability when a mob is out of range, it "freezes" the ability. It took 2+ minutes and I had to clear the hotkey and restore it, and finally it the cooldown ended again. No matter of "Stop Action" allowed me to get the cooldown to come back up, even after the mob was killed.

A Queue system isn't much good when the stupid thing locks out your abilities anytime you should hit one and the mob is 1m out of range.

Epion is combat Nongrata all my attacks freeze how can i mass haull 30 mobs when this happens ?
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

I personally love when it greys out my instant heal, right after my gold rage, ravage and silver strike all failed to go off.

I have noticed a common factor when these abilities fail to fire. If I begin combat by pulling with say Dragon's Reach or a Range tech'd Primebolt I immediately follow up with gold rage or silver strike.

The Reach/Bolt go over normally. The mob comes into melee range. In the queue box, I see the icon for the default melee attack. Gold Rage (or insert other ability) is in the 2nd box. However, it never moves from there. If I stop all actions (spacebar) then I exit combat mode but the ability doesn't reset.

Is this what everybody else is experiencing?
    Cauri BloodBane - Order
    100 DADV / 100 D C R A

Melee range was increased to 15m as a temporary measure and hotfixed to blight on May 2nd.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by cauri_order View Post
    I personally love when it greys out my instant heal, right after my gold rage, ravage and silver strike all failed to go off.

I have noticed a common factor when these abilities fail to fire. If I begin combat by pulling with say Dragon's Reach or a Range tech'd Primebolt I immediately follow up with gold rage or silver strike.

The Reach/Bolt go over normally. The mob comes into melee range. In the queue box, I see the icon for the default melee attack. Gold Rage (or insert other ability) is in the 2nd box. However, it never moves from there. If I stop all actions (spacebar) then I exit combat mode but the ability doesn't reset.

Is this what everybody else is experiencing?
    I've noticed the Queue oddity as well, every time an ability greys out and fails to fire, Auto-Attack is in Box #1, and the failed ability is in Box #2 and it refuses to move.

I'm wondering if perhaps making it so that Auto-Attack is forbidden to be in Box #1 if Box #2 has anything in it at all would fix this? Not sure how much freedom the devs have with tinkering around with the queue system, though.

And the melee range being increased to 15m might help a bit, at least then that would result in fewer "target is 1m out of range!" errors, which seems to be what is most of the culprit behind this whole problem.

Another potential solution, from a brainstormer: Any time an "Out of Range" error is returned, the cooldown on any ability in the Queue should be reset to 0 and the ability should be purged from the Queue except for Auto-Attack.

To explain this idea further:

1). User initiates auto-attack. It is in Queue Box 1 ("Q1")
    2). User attempts to use, say, Power Attack. The mob is out of range. Power attack is placed in Q2.
    3). With my idea, whenever Power Attack returns the error "Out of Range", the game would automatically reset Power Attack's cooldown to 0, and remove Power Attack from the Queue. The character would continue to attempt to auto-attack.

I'm just curious what in the world changed that broke it so badly in the first place. The combat queue worked fine for years then just suddenly broke. I can't even find anything in the patch notes that looks like it would have altered the combat system. It certainly was altered though; the freezing abilities is not the only difference. Is there not some way to simply revert the changes to it?

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

The server lag is one of the causes imo

Think about it In pve games like Istaria you consistent tell the server where you are exactly every millisecond and when you put the mobs in the equation and lag times in between server and player It can cause the mob to Jump around and "Stall Out" an ability Just a thought I can not say for sure as I Still dont work for Horizons *Shamelessly pokes the devs *
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Out of curiosity, is it known whether this is a server issue or a client issue? Is the server incorrectly telling the client to display an ability as unavailable, or is the client incorrectly displaying an ability as unavailable, and blocking usage of it?
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Akrion View Post
    Out of curiosity, is it known whether this is a server issue or a client issue? Is the server incorrectly telling the client to display an ability as unavailable, or is the client incorrectly displaying an ability as unavailable, and blocking usage of it?
    after the patch that broke the abilities i copied over all my older files from before patch and bypassed the patcher and i still had this issue so i believe this is not client side issue. and to those saying this may be server lag? this was reported on blight and then when the update went live we had this issue. so i dont think lag since it only happened right after the patch.

Well it could still be that the client is mishandling something received from the server and could of been an existing issue in the client for a long time, just never exposed until something changed on the server causing the issue to trigger. Lag could still be a contributing factor as it ultimately all boils down to something somewhere being mishandled for some reason, and lag between server and client could trigger some event to happen that normally wouldn't otherwise, however since this issue seems to be so consistent I doubt it's lag. Hopefully the relative consistency of the issue will help the devs close in on the problem more quickly than normal.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Bit of information that could be useful perhaps:

If I hit a melee range hotkey while out of range but before I actually engage the mob (that is, the mob is not reacting to me yet), I can hit Stop Action and the hotkey will not become stuck.

If, however, I have engaged the mob, hitting a melee range hotkey while out of range will cause it to become stuck, even if I hit Stop Action.

I still have yet to see anything become stuck that is not a melee range ability.

I hardly dare to report this-
    but I have the feeling that the mobs do not come that close in combat as they used to do- even some do a step backwards sometime.
    But this might be only a feeling-due to this bug.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    I hardly dare to report this-
    but I have the feeling that the mobs do not come that close in combat as they used to do- even some do a step backwards sometime.
    But this might be only a feeling-due to this bug.
    I recall them doing this on blight for a while, fixed now though, not sure if it was carried over to live or not

Something else I noticed:

I do not remember it doing this last time I actively played (Oct-Nov '10), but now it seems like characters automatically go into Auto-Attack mode whenever something is attacking you, or if you just killed 1 mob and there are more.

It didn't do this before, and I'm wondering if this change is partly the cause of the freezing abilities problem getting much worse? The freezing ability problem did indeed exist way before Oct '10, but after doing some more combat last night, I'd have to agree: It IS much worse now. I have to engage auto-attack and make *sure* the mob is in melee range (wait for my character to swing at it) before pressing any more buttons (well, ones that aren't ranged).

I'm sure the 15m melee range will fix it, but I'm wondering if it won't have other, undesirable side-effects (like making it impossible to run away from mobs, if mobs also get 15m melee range too?)

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Something else I noticed:

I do not remember it doing this last time I actively played (Oct-Nov '10), but now it seems like characters automatically go into Auto-Attack mode whenever something is attacking you, or if you just killed 1 mob and there are more.
    As far as I can tell, the character is not actually engaging auto-attack. It is only taking on a battle stance. This "change" occurred at the same as the new out-of-range freezing abilities problem (as well as few other little things).

Any Update on this ?

Thread Information