Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greeting People

Default Re: Greeting People

another thing is some people have alot of chat windows and dont get to that chat tab for a while, just look at my HUD and all the chat windows I monitor....on top of duel and tri logging.

That's one scattered UI. xD
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

I have just two windows, myself, one for main channel, and another for other channels like Group, Guild, Dragon,... I think you have a bit too much of windows...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Hasia View Post
    another thing is some people have alot of chat windows and dont get to that chat tab for a while, just look at my HUD and all the chat windows I monitor....on top of duel and tri logging.

<image snipped>
    o_O my name is on the screenshot, well, anyway.
    Even i with only 1 tab of chat plus a opaque chat window (so i can notice the tab glow) miss greetings. It happens

I have 3 windows at the bottom of the screen.
    Lower left I have "guild" and various 4 or 5 channels
    Lower middle I have area chat, system messages and that sort of thing
    Lower right I have group chat.

The few /tells that I get I will see in the middle window. (mostly Hello from greetings, I am not important... )
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by Ettanin View Post
    Even i with only 1 tab of chat plus a opaque chat window (so i can notice the tab glow) miss greetings. It happens
    I think you mean a transparent chat window. x3
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Ettanin View Post
    o_O my name is on the screenshot, well, anyway.
    Indeed, but not always : p

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

'greetings, my beloved blighties'

what i say when i login - whoever wants to respond is most welcome, if no one does, i don't take it personally.
    we are a shard of cooperative solo gamers, by necessity, and i understand that no everyone is in a position to respond immediately, for whatever reason.

no offense, but if you get twisted undies because peeps in a game don't say hi back, mmo's might not be for you......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    'greetings, my beloved blighties'

what i say when i login - whoever wants to respond is most welcome, if no one does, i don't take it personally.
    we are a shard of cooperative solo gamers, by necessity, and i understand that no everyone is in a position to respond immediately, for whatever reason.

no offense, but if you get twisted undies because peeps in a game don't say hi back, mmo's might not be for you......
    As I said,it isn't about busy/afk/... people but about those who greet only known friends back, and about those, like new players, that may not know the reasons until they are told, and thinking they are ignored, and grow unpleased, and then discussion getting more and more rude and then people leaving. I saw this happen many times. You don't take it personally, yes, but some did in the past, and some may still do.
    *points at About the order community's warmth

Its interesting to me to note that Istaria is the only mmo I've ever known where people complain about the fact that other folks dont greet them back or how for that matter. Maybe its because Im a vet mmo player and used to playing games with hundreds if not thousands on at any given moment. To my knowledge, in other games (and Im not talking about just WoW) people dont think twice about others gretting them back or how its done. Its not unusual to be ignored in public chat unless others recognize you. The same goes for guild chat.

Maybe its because of having played so long that I dont really care or pay attention if others dont greet me back. I'm of the habit of being more likely to greet those I know. Greeting a player who I dont know/recognize is purely up to how I feel at the moment. Sometimes I simply dont feel like being social.

At any rate. Im not trying to bash anyone here; I just found it interesting that these threads show how close-knit the players of this game are, and the expectations that go along with that.

Maybe because Istaria has a small community (imagine if everyone on WoW said hi and see you to everyone else), but I felt like that in the past, and I think I have seen some not pleased to be accosted without greeting, and not being pleased... unless it is only me.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrion View Post
    I think you mean a transparent chat window. x3
    Yes, with only the text and the borders showing.

Speaking of getting upset over silly things. i was banned from a public chat channel the other day because i go afk and am unable to promote the 2-3 people in the said chat room in the few hours im gone.

i think im one of the few that remember to promote people. when i get home from lunch i check all the chat Rooms and see im the only one promoted and promote every one a few hours later when i get off work i see once again im the only one promoted again and repeat. then 4 hours later after playing the game i realize im one of the few that is left promoted in the chat channels....... sometimes i feel like im the only one that promotes people in game :P but their are two chat rooms on chaos were the people are present and keep every one blue in chat. CD, and mith counsel kudos to those chat rooms:P

such a silly thing to *get red in the face* because your not promoted in a chat channel when your supposed to be friends

While we can't really expect to be promoted every time, nor demand to be put in blue, promoting someone is still a pleasant sign of attention. Getting banned for not having promoted someone while afk or whatever is, I think, nonsense and really wrong.

I use to promote others when I see people in white, and I know a good amount of people doing the same, on Order, unless some are busy, afk,...

Speaking of getting upset over silly things. i was banned from a public chat channel the other day because i go afk and am unable to promote the 2-3 people in the said chat room in the few hours im gone.

i think im one of the few that remember to promote people. when i get home from lunch i check all the chat Rooms and see im the only one promoted and promote every one a few hours later when i get off work i see once again im the only one promoted again and repeat. then 4 hours later after playing the game i realize im one of the few that is left promoted in the chat channels....... sometimes i feel like im the only one that promotes people in game :P but their are two chat rooms on chaos were the people are present and keep every one blue in chat. CD, and mith counsel kudos to those chat rooms:P

such a silly thing to *get red in the face* because your not promoted in a chat channel when your supposed to be friends
    Some people have the habit to come online, say a general greating and immediately expect to be smurfed and if this is not done they ask for it… I dislike those people, when I am in a situation like Blue in CD or NPA I smurf that person last simply because of the whining. Life as we know it does not end when not promoted within 5 minutes of entry…
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Promotion doesn't really do anything anyway. Sure, you can promote others; sure, you can kick others; but your gameplay doesn't change and those kicked can generally just rejoin unless its a private channel. Its all mental headgames.
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

If it was in a channel where people weren't all on close-knit terms, I could see someone getting annoyed/uncomfortable/hostile if the smurf paint sat on a single unresponsive character for several hours. Is the blue-hogger AFK? Are they too high and mighty to check the channel long enough to hand out smurfings? Are they pulling some kind of passive-aggressive revenge stunt? Are they attempting a channel takeover? Once you better know the people in question it's more obvious whether these would or wouldn't be the case, but if it's some stranger you've never talked to and don't know much about, I could see nervous assuming the worse.

(Also, unless you're botting a private channel for some reason, I'm baffled by why anybody would afk for hours with Istaria running. Electricity doesn't pay for itself... can someone explain?)

Ostensibly on topic: I usually ignore mass greetings unless I'm feeling chatty. I miss an embarrassing number of targeted greetings and whispers through the magic of chat failure, such as a tab not flashing because I was porting. Or because I was hammering away at a craft order a window and four tabs over, or I'm only half conscious and won't read the current chat messages for another 15 minutes, when I stop to shove stuff in a silo. As soon as I DO notice those, I try to respond, but sometimes it seems pointless if it's been twenty minutes and we struck up conversation in another chat already. (I do feel bad about those. I don't mean to ignore people.)

Then there's targeted greetings when I show up in a less-than-tiny chat room. My approximate rule is that if there's more than two other players in a chat with me, I'm probably going to give a blanket greeting back. If there's more than four other players, I am DEFINITELY blanket-greeting. Why? Because if I type out one name, it starts a chain reaction of having to acknowledge EVERYONE in the room, lest I snub someone. But typing more than two or three specific names in greeting makes me uncomfortable. Also, it looks ridiculous, and in big rooms turns into an epic Awdz-klava-style essay. I mean, Awdz's klava handouts are the best feature of Marketplace, but pumping out one of those in a couple channels just because I logged in? No thanks, I'd rather start in on meaningful conversation.

I am sympathetic to the guy who started this rant-- it's annoying to have one's social code of politeness violated, no doubt. But I think this is one of those cases where any given convention is no better or worse than another, it's just a little different; not to mention, there's a lot of possibilities. The sanest route to inner peace then becomes relaxing one's standards a smidgen and trying to roll with whatever you get. As long as someone's reply isn't "go take a long walk off a short plank, you <unprintable violation of the laws of physics, morality, and sanity>" you're probably doing ok.

As the person who said something to Blue regarding not smurfing people in that chat room, and while I realize all player made channels are 'public' I must state that this was our Guild chat room, not really a -public- chat room, and i did not ban him from the room...I simply stated i felt like it because it was a recurring event to log in, and sit in our guild chat room with one person blue, having no ability to do anything about any problems with other players. We have in past had players enter the chat channel and cause problems, such as banning all guild members, calling members names...etc. The person that banned Blue from the channel has been advised to not do so without more reason than was given at that time. However...to go AFK for hours on end, and stay as a bot in a guild chat is more than a little rude imho. Perhaps New Player and Marketplace are ok for this, but i think if you are a guest in another guild's channel, you should be a little more considerate of their feelings. Since that event occurred, Blue has been more considerate and has indeed promoted us more frequently than before, however there are still times that my guildies and i log in, and don't get promoted because he is AFK at work or at lunch or at.....whatever. All I would ask is that if/when you join a guild chat channel, please consider their feelings/desires regarding appropriate behaviour.
    Again..this matter has been somewhat resolved, but apparently I did not make my point to Blue, and there appears to be some hard feelings regarding the situation.

I like to chat with anyone and everyone that wants to, this being one of the main reasons i play Istaria, and i would not want someone to think they are not welcome in the channel. Given that...when you are in a chat channel in order to talk to/see/flirt with only one person that comes in the channel...perhaps you should only join it when that person is online, and not just sit in the channel constantly. Paticularly if you are AFK for long periods.

ohh we have that prob on Order too,

but who wants to get tortured with a big feather
    by a certain LadyGnome if there is not enough blue color in the channel?
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Oakleif View Post
    Promotion doesn't really do anything anyway. Sure, you can promote others; sure, you can kick others; but your gameplay doesn't change and those kicked can generally just rejoin unless its a private channel. Its all mental headgames.
    I feel the same way. What does promoting get you? Nothing really. Oooohhhh you can invite people to the channel, but you can send them a tell telling them to join the channel so blue gets you absolutely nothing other than an excuse to get annoyed at another person.

Thread Information