Thread: Preparing to Prepare

Default Preparing to Prepare

I've always believed in preparation; I like to know what I need to do to accomplish a job, and have all the pieces and parts ready to go when I need them.

My bright-green alter-ego, Tullamore, is now at level 26 for Adventure and Crafting, and, while I have no intention of attempting it before I think I'm ready, I do see the Rite of Passage out there in my future. There seems to be very little information (at least, up-to-date information) here in the Forum about the RoP; even in the Istaria Wiki, there's some information about the steps leading up *to* the RoP, but, none about it, specifically. Of course, this may very well be by design, to keep certain aspects secret.

But, as I said, I like to be prepared. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Helian faction, mostly because what I've read more closely mirrors my real-life philosophy. So, I see that I'm already very close to the bare minimum level requirements, although I still have about 200 to go to reach the 450 spellcraft skill level (I'm a-workin' on it!). Thanks to the kindness of two unknown ancient dragons in Dralk, I don't have to worry about my hoard level.

As long as I need to get my Spellcrafting up, I'll continue raising my Adventure levels, but, are there other things I should also be doing? Are there, for example, certain recommendations for scale/claw combinations, or other things? I do have an adult dragon friend who I know will help all she can; does faction matter in the help I receive? Are there any Helian who would be willing to help with advice, suggestions, a kick in the pants, or more active involvement?

Or, for that matter, are there any Lunun who'd like to talk things over and point out the error of my ways, and convert me to the alternative faction?

I'm on Order, usually in the mornings and early-afternoons, East Coast US time. I also check this forum at least once a day. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...another hatchie in my Guild is at right about the same stage (and, is also leaning towards Helian), so, any help will be going to two of us, as I'll at least point him to this thread...dunno, but, can two hatchies work on their RoP together, as we have on any number of other quests??

Thanks, again....
    Always speak politely to an enraged dragon.

Default Re: Preparing to Prepare

Having done both Lunus and Helian on Chaos server, these are my observations:

First, absolutely, two (or more) hatchlings can work on their RoP together and I'd strongly recommend it for the social aspects. The one thing to be careful of - if you go Lunus - is that if you are both at the talking-to-the-Entombed, take TURNS talking to him, don't both talk to him at once. Otherwise you may get a very unpleasant surprise. I don't think there are any equivalent surprises for Helians. Having access to a voice chat - if you're comfortable with that - will help immensely with coordinating the attacks, though - sometimes you don't have time to type out/RP what you're doing!

Lunus is a balancing act for hatchies who want lower level requirements in *either* crafting OR adventure (but really, really not both). I'd suggest a minimum of 65 total levels (adventure and craft) with higher being better. This one is a good one to do as a pair or trio, though - there's naught more fun than running with your packmates, climbing to the top of a tower, then gliding as a group to the tower at the bottom of the spiral to defeat the foe that lies within...

Helian is an exercise in patience - you definitely need much higher minimum levels (Seliena is not nice at all) - I'd suggest 45 craft and at least 60 ADV personally, having recently done it with Sodalite. Most of the quest isn't too bad - but there's a couple of bits where having obsidian scales will make a lot of difference. Soda did his mostly-solo, with assistance from several very kind ancients when I found out that level 70ADV wasn't going to be enough to deal with that final battle. However, I loved the inquisitive exploration of this faction's ROP.
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

Ah, interesting....thanks for the advice, Kesqui...I'll continue to prepare to prepare...

Level 85 for my hatchling on Order wasn't enough against Seliena without help.

Admittedly, Aucapoma was still in level 60 scales though.

<_<

>_>

Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Ah RoP. They were fun days.

Another thing that you might want to consider is the hatchling scales that can only be obtained by hatchlings and unless you have a PV/Em scale (if you are really lucky a double of either (PV/PV or Em/Em)) they really are one of the best things that you can be wearing as a hatchling untill you get to lvl 80. Only problem is that you need to be lvl 50 to get them (there is one for helian and one for lunus). To see what the scales are click he link below. (pic provided by Shian)

Hatchling Scales

Next point. You should get your self some speed scales. lots of running to do and speed scale will help you fleece some of nasty mobs that can run as fast as you.

As you have pointed out, you are going to need to be a high lvl of craft to make some of the things that you need in the helian RoP. I can't remember the exact lvl but some where around 42 or 43ish. You will also need crafting scales too (I think).

I am hoping to update the Helian RoP walkthrough as some stage. I might make a summary of the craft requirements at the beginning so you can work it out with out being spoiled.

Anyway. Up to date scales is a must as a dragon esp in you RoP.

If you are looking for the Helian walkthrough (whihc is out of date) it can be found on the CD website or over there (zip file at the bottom of the list)
    SoG? Where? :-P

Alas gone are the days when this was easy to do.

Good luck with your RoP! I have done both factions with my and my husband's dragons and have helped slews of others through it as well. Feel free to pick my brain anytime

Thaalia of Order, and Holth and Wirenth of Order as well

Oh, some very good information; thank you, Holth, Freelancer and Veruliyam!

Really had no intention of tackling any/all of the RoP as a solo; first off, while it sounds "doable" if you're the gods-own uber-hatchling, that'll be a VERY long time coming for me........but, more importantly, this just sounds like something that would be a lot more fun when shared in a group.

Nor do I really have any intention of attempting the RoP anytime soon; from what information I'd already gleaned (along with the great answers I've gotten here and in private chats in-game), it really does sound like I'd be best served raising my levels a lot...and, that's fine, as it can only help with other things, down the road.

Freelancer, thanks for all the information about scales; that's an area I really need to research better, and it sounds like I'll have the time! Also appreciate the walk-through, whether it's out-of-date or not...at least gives a hint of what's to come. And, if you're willing, I'd love to see a summary of craft requirements.

The more involved I get with Istaria, the more I'm enjoying it...thanks, again, everyone, for the advice and suggestions, and offers of help!

As you've already accepted the idea that you are going to want/use/rather have help - leave the decision about "when" to start it up to you.

If *YOU* wish to wait until a higher level to get help and complete the ROP, that's quite fine.

But if *YOU* are dying to fly (as I was and many were at the time of its impelmentation), and don't really want to wait until level 50/60 etc, then it is quite alright to start and finish your ROP as soon as you can. May just take one more adult dragon helping you out to make up the difference (between you being say just level 35 adv vs. being level 60).

Craft requirements for Lunus were just enough so that you could make something yourself. At the time I completed it I believ it was craft 35? Perhaps craft 30. That was it. But, that was back when it was first implemented so it may have been tweaked since then.

I didn't do Helian so I can't comment.

Me, I was in game from the start and so had already waited months by the time the RoP was in place. There was no "stigma" (perceived or imaginary lol) to getting your entire guild (Or just 3-5 good friends lol) to help you int he RoP so you could fly by 40. So that's what I did. Adults and ANcients can help too, not just hatchies!

And I'd do it all the same a million times over rather than wait another 20 or 30 levels to fly!
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    Craft requirements for Lunus were just enough so that you could make something yourself. At the time I completed it I believ it was craft 35? Perhaps craft 30. That was it. But, that was back when it was first implemented so it may have been tweaked since then.
    If you're at least level 40 (and I'd recommend 45) ADV (and thus can wear double-teched Granite or Steel scales) then you can do Lunus ROP at level 20 Craft, assuming you can get a set of scales teched for Transmutation AND a separate set teched for Stoneworking.
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

One thing I would like to point out. This last revamp of the adult RoP put a nasty twist into getting the level 50 hatchling scales. You MUST get them before you start the RoP quest chain. If you start the RoP first, you will miss out on the scales

So that means you need to wait to lv50 adventure, and get your scales (you can own both the helian and lunus versions, just have to do the quests one at a time). Then go start your RoP quest. Thanks Freelancer for posting the link showing the scales. His picture shows the lv1(now new tris chain), lv30 (used to be lv25, quested from Vladmordt), and the lv50 scale (quested from Vladmordt). Those lv50 scales are awesome, can last you until your t5 chest scale. Some will argue, but that statement is true for those of us on Order.

Feel free to pick my brain when you see me in game.

Dracaena

More and more reasons to take things slowly, it seems to me; time to acquire all the various goodies, as well as time to make new relationships within the game.

Personally, I *am* looking forward to being able to fly...almost as much, I'm looking forward to a time where I don't need worry about being trampled when I'm around a group of adult dragons! On the other hand, I've got a very strong urge to learn as much as I can *before* taking that step...the information about the level-50 hatchie scales is a perfect example.

I've also got no problem at all with asking for and accepting as much help as possible before and during the RoP; while the solitary Quest may be great for literature and heroic stories, in a role-playing game, I'd MUCH rather have a group of friends around to share the experience with. In the one RoP I've witnessed so far, my friend had quite a few of *her* friends involved, and it was obvious that she (and, they!) were having a blast.

Approaching Levels 30 now (been keeping ADV and CRA fairly balanced, so far, but am curious to see if that's going to be as easy from now on); a mad scramble to complete all of my 20-30 quests....

Quick note while I think of it-- you're going Helian? Then unless the wiki has been broken or the quests revamped since I last did it (and I last did it after the big revamp) there should be a 90%+ complete walkthrough of the Helian Rite quests. I'll be very, very sad if that was broken somehow, it took me so much typing to get all of those shoved in there and linked together properly....

Just for fun, have some wiki links!
    Delicious story-ridden Rites prerequisite: http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Becomi...oose_Your_Path
    First quest/page in the Helian RoP chain: http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Helian...n_Adult_Dragon
    Obviously, don't click those if you don't want spoilers. But feel free to bookmark those if you want them later!

Thanks, Thicklesip...I think there *may* be a broken link, on this page:
    http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Invest...orian%27s_Tale

Down at the bottom, the red link takes you to an edit page, so, I'm very happy to see the rest of this information!

Quote Originally Posted by Thicklesip View Post
    Quick note while I think of it-- you're going Helian? Then unless the wiki has been broken or the quests revamped since I last did it (and I last did it after the big revamp) there should be a 90%+ complete walkthrough of the Helian Rite quests. I'll be very, very sad if that was broken somehow, it took me so much typing to get all of those shoved in there and linked together properly....

Just for fun, have some wiki links!
    Delicious story-ridden Rites prerequisite: http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Becomi...oose_Your_Path
    First quest/page in the Helian RoP chain: http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Helian...n_Adult_Dragon
    Obviously, don't click those if you don't want spoilers. But feel free to bookmark those if you want them later!

Giving it a once-over, it looks like someone tinkered with the proper quest and attempted to add some extra bits: "Speak to Valkoth of the Lunus faction" should (if I'm remembering right, who knows by now) actually be the kickoff for the Lunus rites. "You will receive Path 1: Becoming an Adult Dragon" is just up down and sideways incorrect: assuming naming conventions have held steady it'd be "Lunus Path 1: Becoming An Adult Dragon" for the Lunus rites or else "Helian Path 1: Becoming An Adult Dragon" for the Helian version. Unfortunately since I don't actually have a hatchling I can check this stuff on, I'm reluctant to edit anything. Boo!

Maybe I can chuck in something in the header for the sequel quests, at least so people can click their way around more easily, hmm.

Thread Information