Thread: Access control lists for Silos and other custom built storage rooms

Default Access control lists for Silos and other custom built storage rooms

Hello,

due to recent events i'd like to see the 'Friends only' option you put in for the whole lair separately setupable for each kind of storage room.

Advantages:
    - No more thievery
    - Access only for those you can trust
    - Opens up possibilities for rentals etc. (not that i would ask for coin, but the possibility is there )

Disadvantages:
    - People may need to ask the plot/lair owner for access
    Last edited by Ettanin; July 17th, 2011 at 06:10 PM.

Default Re: Access control lists for Silos and other custom built storage rooms

An easier way to do it would be to have public access, with an option to bar certain alts from access, similar to an ignore list (and not by using a red wall, they are easy to bypass).
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post
    An easier way to do it would be to have public access, with an option to bar certain alts from access, similar to an ignore list (and not by using a red wall, they are easy to bypass).
    That would only really do anything if you already knew who it was that you didn't want accessing your storage. When it comes to people stealing things from silos (the issue I suspect this suggestion was made in light of), the plot owner may never find out who it was.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

The problem isn't controlling access so much as a lack of accountability. An access history would be far more useful in deterring storage theft.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

For me, the problem with making silos public is that having public silos while using the friends list for property access is impossible. I cannot make a silo open without giving that person permission to everything or else having to lock every thing else down with deny all settings. So my t6 lair doesn't have any public silos, and I allow my friends who work out of it access to all my halls, lair rooms, connie, pawnbroker, and library storage. But it does get awkward time to time when someone I don't know as well wants to use the silos there.

What I would like to see is being able to set silos for public use while using the friends list for other storage areas. Like you can if you have the plot set to guild settings.

On the flip side my lair on Drakul is semi public. The hall and library are set to deny all and the friends list accesses silos, connies, and pawnbroker. But you have to talk to me to get on the access list. Originally I was going to make it public. But with the theft problems it seemed ill advised to let every Tom, Richard, and Harry in there.

Dracaena

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    The problem isn't controlling access so much as a lack of accountability. An access history would be far more useful in deterring storage theft.
    Actually a silo-history list would be really nice. Only cause it would yeah, allow the owner of the plot to see what is going on and if someone finds out their stuff was stolen, it would allow them to scroll back and see when that person put it in and who took it.

This would discourage theft, because the owner then would know who did the theft, have a talk with that player, and if that player does it again, then the owner could report the player with the 'log' as proof.

And what if team implements very simple system, when item, deposited by player, may be taken off by that player only? Additionally, there should be some period of time after which stored and unused items in silos are automatically deleted (example - 3 or 5 days).

I think the idea of having a *switch* so that a player putting things into a public silo can say "for public use" or "for personal use only" is a good one - I wouldn't want it to be automatic that if Kesqui puts something into a silo only Kesqui can take it out, since that means that I couldn't load up a silo for someone else to process out of.

But if a public silo also had plot-owner-set permissions of "hold goods for 3/5/7 days" or the plot OWNER can always remove things from a silo, even if the goods are set "personal only" that would eliminate people taking up a whole silo with stuff they've abandoned.
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

Thread Information