Thread: Flight animation?

Default Flight animation?

So, the flight animation is really bugging the chiz out of me. I don't like the continuous flapping.

I read how to change the animation speed in another thread, but the string appears to change the speed of the entire dragon as well. I don't wanna break the game, and I can read but not write programs thanks to my small amount of programming experience. My goal here is to replace the flapping animation with the gliding animation without making the dragon descend.

What I've done so far is copy the file and place the copy in my override folder. I haven't renamed it or anything. What I'm wondering with work is if in the //flightascend, I replaced "string trackOverride = "flightflap"" with "string trackOverride = "flightglide"", and then "string name = "dragon_u_flight_ascend_n.gr2"" with "string name = "dragon_u_flight_descend_n.gr2"".

It would end up like this:

//flightascend
    {
    string name = "flightascend"
    float easeInTime = 0.3
    float easeOutTime = 0.3
    float moveSpeed = 6.75
    bool loop = true
    TAnimation list animList =
    {
    {
    string name = "dragon_u_flight_descend_n.gr2"
    float cycleMatchTime = 2.0
    string trackOverride = "flightglide"
    }
    }
    }

Would this work? If not, what would?

P.S. I'm kind of a nub with this kind of thing, so near english please. x3 Thanks!

~ I'm a Hatchie and I'm Proud! ~

Default Re: Flight animation?

Sounds it like it should work, but you might as well try it and see if it does. It doesn't hurt anything to put that file in resources_override. That's what it's there for: to allow modding without the need to alter the real game files.

Not sure why the flightspeed mod isn't working for you. I suspect that you made a mistake, changed the wrong line perhaps.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

You could also try adding the line "float speed = 0.7" in there. Vary the 0.7 up and down as you see fit. That line is a modifier that is multiplied against the speed that the server sends down to play the animation at. I think. Might have to ask one of the client guys what magic is going on behind the scenes. There are some examples you could look at where ancients have a speed of .8, adults are 1 and hatchlings are 1.1. It all helps make the animations move better with the different sized characters.

what you could do is go to Istaria\resources\characters\characters\dragonu_u\ anim copy the file called dragon_u_flight_descend_n.gr2 take it to override and name it dragon_u_flight_ascend_n.gr2. it's an easy trick however, you will only get flapping if you don't move while flying up, if you move while flying up you'll get the gliding animation.

I don't mess with .def files (a lot that is), so cant help ya with that

If there's a way to change flapping from what I call "The Hummingbird" to a more graceful flap, with periodic glides (don't think perma-glide would be that good either), that would awesome. "The Hummingbird" is the only thing I hate about dragons.
    I never met a gnome I didn't like. For tender morsels they are!

Thanks guys. I'll try what you guys suggested to see what works best. ^^

~ I'm a Hatchie and I'm Proud! ~

You COULD just use the Mouse scroll.. ^^

Thread Information