Thread: More Map Witching....

Tharg

Default More Map Witching....

OK - so i've not installed the map pak (pekkas) in a while - i was doing same things different day for a while so saw no need... since i knew where what i was hunting was.

Got the new version (2.3) today and figured what the heck - install it - ya JUST downloaded a new patch yesterday... can't hurt....

go to log in - yeap - it goes "full scan" on me...

you KNOW what that means if you install pekkas.. yeap - game decides to install EVERY POS MAP AE HAS every time... 20.1MB download...

i'd be PISSED if this happened all the time on dial up...

wtf could they have changed between yesterday (hell this morning at 3am) and now...??!?!?

it just figures that i've not installed cause i was avoiding 20mb downloads... and when i figure its safe.... BOOOM another full scan.

I don't understand why they can't make a "choice" to download a FULL scan ... and a FULL scan sans maps... and a i'm not looking for a scan at all options.

the AUTO scan should be to ignore maps... and let the user decide to download a full FULL scan if they want to... after all i have a hard time accepting that newbies that never heard of a mappak would need the "default" maps... and the initiated woudln't need em because someone was nice enough to make new and improved maps. And NO one likes a 20mb download.....

bleh - just irritating watching it download maps that *I DON"T WANT*

and it does it EVERY time some idiot decides to patch....

it just seems like it would be SO easy to NOT include maps in a mandatory download... and add an option to scan EVERY file.

grrr

yes... i know witching... but hell - this game could use some "not peeve people" options....(other than the OTHER games comming out......)

J/Tharg!

EDIT - the "some idiot decides to patch" line was rough - sorry for that... just ... i guess wearing my own patience out for a game nearly a year old - that i like... and can't seem to get its crud together....

Default Re: More Map Witching....

...do a backup of the map folders, and copy them back before patching...

you KNOW what that means if you install pekkas.. yeap - game decides to install EVERY POS MAP AE HAS every time... 20.1MB download...

i'd be PISSED if this happened all the time on dial up...
    Sorry that I have to piss you off like that but you must be able to get faster connection soon, wouldnt you?

All maps are redone to be faster wich means that the patcher dont reqegnize one single map. I remade the 24-bit maps AE made to 8-bit so its me you got to blame of coarse. I rather have fast maps then thinking about those that still are at dial-up really.
    Vanaondo
    The RP guild Kushan Sogd at Harro, Unity Shard
    Download and install Pekkas Map Pack v2.9 today and HCC 0.26 Beta is there too

akb

Quote Originally Posted by Vanaondo
    you must be able to get faster connection soon, wouldnt you?
    Even in Germany where you would expect modern telekom equipment, there are regions which don't allow for fast connections, either because they are too distant from the next node, or even because they installed TOO modern cables (DSL is only possible on copper and not where they did glass wires in a really big town). And those people get as additional punishment that at least the main phone company has real flatrates only for DSL, also for the areas where DSL is not possible.
    And don't forget people who have fast connections but pay by volume. Even those "only 20 MB" add up when there are 5 to 10 patches per month and/or people deinstall/reinstall the map pack. I just spoke to someone yesterday who wouldn't try map modifications because of his volume based fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanaondo
    All maps are redone to be faster wich means that the patcher dont reqegnize one single map. I remade the 24-bit maps AE made to 8-bit so its me you got to blame of co***. I rather have fast maps then thinking about those that still are at dial-up really.
    Sorry to hear that. (btw: "of course" will not be censored)

Did you also redo the Istaria maps ? Why ?

If people use the new nicer maps, the original files from the Istaria map are not important anyway andcould be left untouched and wouldn't be downloaded again, leaving at most the townmaps for less than 8 MB total instead of 20 MB.

You had done the new nice maps with new filenames (suffix "t") to be separate from the original maps, not overwrite them and not require downloads on every patch (that's what I read somewhere a while ago). Then why didn't you name the new "faster original" maps with some other suffix too, leaving the original set of maps untouched ? This would require 20 MB additional diskspace, but cause only a few very small DEF files to be downloaded on patchdays.

Even with a fast connection, I find it a bit disturbing to download an extra 20 MB on every patch, and I can't see any longer whether they changed the maps or whether modified mappack maps caused the download.

When crossing map boundaries (most notable eg at the vault in Dralk) I always stop for a few seconds before moving again. I probably would prefer to have no town maps at all: with 150+ towns and playertowns now, those 9 extra maps are notTHAT important/useful, and I would like to give them up if the zoom factor of the istaria map allows for looking at single NPCs in town if i once in a while need that. At the same time, I could globally search for an NPC no matter whether he is in Istaria or some town, and have only one single marker for him. That would reduce the number of maps to only three: Istaria (including WestIsle and NCon), Starter Islands (one map for all four of them plus a fifth inaccessible island) and the starting area for newly createdchars. The other official maps could get one small new DEF file to disable them (move them out of the Istaria map area) to avoidupdates for their "large" mappictureson patchdays.

Thats true. I rename the 8-bit city maps and edit the terrain.def and then noone with slow connections need to DL the origin maps when patching.

I will take a look at both Dralk vault and Chiconis vault and move the borders a bit. Im also disturbed over the map changing at those 2 coties when I visit vaults or at chiconis, visiting the gift trainer. These changes should be included at v2.4
    Vanaondo
    The RP guild Kushan Sogd at Harro, Unity Shard
    Download and install Pekkas Map Pack v2.9 today and HCC 0.26 Beta is there too

Thread Information