Thread: Talk to the Team: Paladin

Hybrid View

Default Talk to the Team: Paladin

Quick thread, kind of open-ended. Wanted to collect folks suggestions for improvements or changes as well as any bugs they know of in the paladin school. Post here please.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Default Re: Talk to the Team: Paladin

Having actually played through Paladin (semi) properly while levelling during my heavy multi-classing, I have to say the Paladin class is very well versatile, an excellent class indeed.

They get good melee skills per level (10 shield, 1hs and 2hs) and strong melee abilities too (Critical Strike, Multi-Strike, Cleave, Melee Flurry and Life Strike).

My only suggestion (and this is my personal opinion of ALL non-masterable abilities), half the cool-down of Stand Against Darkness and Healing Touch. I don’t think they warrant such long recycle timers. Stand Against Darkness is comparable to Hero’s Resolve (which has a 5min recycle) but against undead only, while Healing Touch’s recycle could easily be 30min instead of 2 hours. If it were similar to the Healer’s Superior Rez then I could understand such a long recycle, but it’s just a single target heal. Also, I question why Aura of Light has a 10min recycle, when all other comparable abilities (i.e. Druid’s Auras) are 5sec recycles (should it be dispelled by a nasty Shaman, it’s very frustrating).

I don’t think the Paladin needs any more abilities, they have almost all the strong Warrior abilities as well some excellent passive ones (Infusion, Blessing of Life and the Champion’s Form line). However, perhaps allowing them to cast the Group Heal(th?) spell would be good. But this is all just my 2 cents.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

My first biped lvl 100 was paladin. I can agree with everything hallucin8 says.

I'd like to see the health line opened to paladins as well.

Haven't noticed any bugs, but I haven't played him in paladin school very much lately.
    I never met a gnome I didn't like. For tender morsels they are!

I think I would like to see more done with the limited offensive spell that uses life (mystic blaze?) it has a long recycle and is pretty useless compared to a properly teched repeating bolt spell.

Something along the lines of 'turn undead' or similar (like in the old rpg games), maybe as some kind of aoe damage to undead only (paladin version of phoenix rising)

If I remember correctly paladin receives a passive ability that increases the amount of hit points regained over time. Increasing this % upwards a bit might be an alternative to allowing other healing spells to be usable by the class.

Aura of command gets overwritten and clashes with some other lesser group buffs, can't remember which ones at the moment.

If your really feeling generous, how about a life attack buff spell that converts damage to life.

Direct melee wise I can't think of anything else that hasn't already been mentioned.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

I asked 2 Palas from German Chat:

One is satisfied with the way it is (playing Pala as main)
    the other one wants more or better heals, if possible (nice-to-have).

The third player, who plays Pala (a mighty one^^) since years, I had no opportunity to ask yet.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post
    I think I would like to see more done with the limited offensive spell that uses life (mystic blaze?) it has a long recycle and is pretty useless compared to a properly teched repeating bolt spell.
    Curious how many use this at all. It looks like it should be in the same veins as Fiery Strike, but its requirements are level 3/30 instead of 18/180 so it makes sense that its low-powered currently. To increase its power I'd have to raise its requirements.

Aura of command gets overwritten and clashes with some other lesser group buffs, can't remember which ones at the moment.
    I think it used to, but hasn't in quite a long time.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Before having other options through multi-classing, I used mystic blaze mainly as a filler or pull spell. I still use it occasionally when fighting undead types. If it were boosted, I could see it getting more use.

If I remember correctly, I was running Aura of Light on a Valkor hunt, and a group member had a healer aura running (the one that cycles a % to health), which canceled out Aura of Light. I don't understand how these would be in conflict.
    I never met a gnome I didn't like. For tender morsels they are!

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Curious how many use this at all. It looks like it should be in the same veins as Fiery Strike, but its requirements are level 3/30 instead of 18/180 so it makes sense that its low-powered currently. To increase its power I'd have to raise its requirements.
    I used it with Healer school and it was dealing nice damages (with Life teched equipement + training points) if used with Multicast on an undead. Of course, that is a pretty specific use.
    If you want a stronger spell, maybe having an Improved Mystic Blaze with higher requirements as new spell would please everyone?
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

Thread Information