Thread: New Player Here

Default New Player Here

Hey all, I've been a computer game player for a few years now, mainly MMORPGs. I've been mostly playing WoW, and just recently stopped playing Champions Online. WoW's massive population is nice if you want a group, but obviously you find more inmature people mostly. As someone who has frequented the SW:TOR forums for awhile, the community is actually even worse there.

So I browsed around a bit, looking at some of my different options. Then I find this game, Istaria (formally Horizons). Old game, a bit dated on the graphics level but I'm no graphics junky, just the other day I popped in the original Spyro just for kicks. One of the things I noticed was this, very unsupprisingly, you can play as freakin dragons.

I remember being on the WoW forums when someone mentioned a game where you can play as a dragon. The name was vague and I had forgotten it, and now it seems I found it again. From what I heard, the sandbox style play, the small, tight knit community, and dragon play is probably the biggest strongpoints. At this stage I'm mainly just looking for another MMO to casually play, free of PvP 1334zers and a nice community. I figure I'd give Istaria a try, in fact, I'm downloading as we speak, and because I got some money to throw around, I decided to go with a Basic Sub for the time being. (Was expecting to pay 300$ for a new graphics card, to figure out an issue I've been having was due to a Vertical Sync option that needed turned off).

So, Istarians, whom many have been here since Horizons, can you tell me a bit about this game? Maybe some tips or insight on a new dragon player?

Default Re: New Player Here

welcome dangeraaron
    good to have you with us!

You will friendly, helpful people on all 3 shards.
    Never hesitate to ask questions or ask for help.

If you do not meet players at the location you are at- just join the noumerous chat channels- there you will find us.
    Low population is not a burden for us, but a priviledge
    And playing a dragon is a wonderful experience.

If you play on Order, come to Universal Soldiers/market/dragon chat.
    Or give me a tell ingame. We`ll supply with information, advise and other things you might need.

happy gaming
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Well, with Tagath and myself being here since 12/2003, let me welcome you to Istaria.

Let me say that I agree with Lovwyrm. Chat channels are the best way to get any and every sort of help.

As for dragons, keep in mind the learning curve set by the quests is pretty steep at the beginning. By all means, feel free to hunt below your level for experience without trying to stay in a quest. Many quests for dragons can be frustrating if attempted too early. For those, you can do one of two things: wait for your level to advance to where you can do it solo or ask for a group. There are benefits and drawbacks either way.

30 adventure, 20 craft, 250k hoard is your minimum requirement for the Rite of Passage. But, if you do it that early, you'll be mainly an observer in it while you have groups do the hunting and others do crafting for you. Don't feel you have to rush to get there. Tagath didn't even start his RoP until he was in his 70s and there have been level 100 hatchlings in the past.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Hello, Dangeraaron, and welcome on Istaria. I hope you'll enjoy the community. Don't hesitate to ask players, here or in game, if you need help, informations,...

Thanks everyone, and yes I decided to join the Order shard, as I have role played in several different MMO's including WoW, CO, and CoX. I have already joined the Dragon chat and I've already found some helpful advice. I look forward to my stay.

And thanks for the additional info about being a level ahead of the quests and the Adult Right of Passage. My dragon's name is Divious.

*serves Divious an [Imperial Urn] full of klava presented with a towel and a curtsy*
    welcome home! :-)

I recommend following the tutorial stuff; not only does it give you xp but it gives you the "how-to-play" basics as well. After that, New Trismus introduces you to the world of mixed races. I'm not sure if Kion still comes next or if you get an earlier introduction to the dragon cities - it's been a long time since Awdzy started.

Anyway, always do all the quests your trainers offer, as your dragon skills will be directly affected by them. There's something like 10 craft & 10 adventure (probably more) quests to be done every 10 levels. Ask in dragon chat or marketplace and I'm sure a dragon can give you clearer help.
    Last edited by awdz; August 23rd, 2011 at 12:43 PM.

Thread Information