Thread: problems running horizons

Trayn

Default problems running horizons

I recently had a PSU falure, and the backup unit i replaced it with doesnt have enough power to run my xp processor. therefore i had to put in an old Duron 900Mhz processor. My system specs now are: 900Mhz Duron, 256Mb GeForce 5600, 512Mb RAM, Windows XP Sp2. Now, when i start horizons i get a blank screen, with the only activity being slow consumption of ram. when i look at the task manager, the initial ram usage after starting horizons is 100Mb, which seems rather low to me. it then increases at a rate of about 10Mb/Min. Currently i am running the Omega drivers, but i have tried both omega, and official nvidia drivers, and neither fixes the problem.

Trayn

Default Re: problems running horizons

now i am able to get in-game, but the colors on everything keep flashing between normal looking, and re-tinted. here is a screenshot:
    http://www.rockymountaincomputers.co...screenshot.jpg

Did you by chance format your harddrive after installing all of that new hardware? What about Horizons?

I'd recommned reinstalling Horizons at the very least as new hardware (especially motherboards, cpus,etc)can often create issues with existing applications.

- Amon
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Trayn

I reinstalled windows, and thus had to re-install horizons. however i simply did an overwrite of the existing installation. i will try a complete re-install of horizons, and see if that helps.

Edit: nope, did a full reinstall, but there was no change, it was worth a try though :) I almost wonder if it could be a issue of the graphics card not getting enough power, and causing graphics errors. I know that the PSU just barely has enough voltage for the system.

Trayn

Well, i seem to have fixed it, at least for now, by lowering the AGP rate to 2X.

gopher65

Don't know if anyone will respond to this cause of your busy schedules, and it is not a HZ specific question, but here it goes:

I recently burnt out my motherboard and had to get a new one, along with new ram (for whatever reason I had Rombus Ram before. I know. Weird. I'd never even heard of it till the tech guy started laughing. If the company I bought my system from was still in business I'd give them a piece of my mind[:|]).

Anyway, I didn't have to reinstall anything except my video driver. I was surprised. Does it make a difference that my new motherboard was made by the same company as the old one? Does that make it more compatible with my system's configuration (both software and hardware)?

Thread Information