Thread: 1 Download, Multiple Installations

Default 1 Download, Multiple Installations

So I downloaded the entire game yesterday and kept all the zipped files so I could make installations on my other computers. Question is...how do I install Istaria w/o having to have each computer re-download the entire game?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaelefein
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Default Re: 1 Download, Multiple Installations

I assume you could just transfer all the downloaded files to another computer over a network connection and just install from there.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Let me re-clarify...

transferred the zipped files to a USB drive and then to the other computer in a self-created directory c:/programs (x86)/Istaria/install

The question now is how to run the installer so it doesn't try to download the files again?

Thanks,

aaelefein
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist

I don't know, Aaelefein. I'm naive enough to think if you copied all the downloaded files that it would just play from those on another computer.
    Side question... Is it possible to run Istaria from a large USB drive?

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    I don't know, Aaelefein. I'm naive enough to think if you copied all the downloaded files that it would just play from those on another computer.
    Side question... Is it possible to run Istaria from a large USB drive?
    I doubt it...don't think it would be fast enough. Possibly an SD card, but again not sure if it would be fast enough and there is also the read/write wear on a SD card.
    Spirit Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Aaelefein View Post
    I doubt it...don't think it would be fast enough. Possibly an SD card, but again not sure if it would be fast enough and there is also the read/write wear on a SD card.
    It wouldn't be too slow. Really all you would have to expect from a slower drive/transfer is longer loading times. Speed critical data is stored on RAM and if that winds up needing to get pushed onto a hard drive then it wouldn't matter if you even had a Solid State Drive, the game would crawl regardless.

If Istaria doesn't need to make registry entries, you'll be able to install the game on one computer and copy the installed game folder to your other comps.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Just copy the installed game to another pc. For Example copy the
    c:\program files (x86)\istaria
    folder from the pc with it installed to the next pc. Also copy the desktop shortcut over to the other pc's desktop. The game will run just fine. You might need to change the path if the other machine has a 32bit os (no c:\program files (x86)\ directory, just a c:\program files\ directory). Simply follow the same pattern, copying the "Istaria" folder to the new pc's "Program Files" directory, and make a new shortcut to the launcher.

In fact, the "Istaria" folder could be copied to the root of the C drive on the other machines, new shortcuts created that point to the launcher, and the game will still run.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Just copy the installed game to another pc. For Example copy the
    c:\program files (x86)\istaria
    folder from the pc with it installed to the next pc. Also copy the desktop shortcut over to the other pc's desktop. The game will run just fine. You might need to change the path if the other machine has a 32bit os (no c:\program files (x86)\ directory, just a c:\program files\ directory). Simply follow the same pattern, copying the "Istaria" folder to the new pc's "Program Files" directory, and make a new shortcut to the launcher.

In fact, the "Istaria" folder could be copied to the root of the C drive on the other machines, new shortcuts created that point to the launcher, and the game will still run.
    While this is true, the OP said that they have the zipped install files.

OP:

Place the zipped files in the Install directory as you described in your OP.

Get on the internet with that computer, go to Istaria's website, and click the "download game client" link.

You will have to download a small installer (a couple meg or so). The installer will want to download all the zipped files, but since you already have them, it should skip all of the ZIPs except for one, which is only a few meg. It will then unzip and install all the files as they should be installed and you should be good-to-go in a few minutes. If any patches were released since the time you downloaded the installation zips, it may want to re-download a zip or two; I assume it performs CRCs, or MD5s on the ZIPs to know whether or not they are valid install files.

The most simple method is to zip up the c:\program files\istaria folder and copy that to a different computer. Dealing with the downloaded zip files can get complicated and would be prone to error.

When zipping up your Istaria folder, make sure the install folder (containg all the downloaded zip files) is not there.

Finally, the first time you play, from the launcher at the character selection screen, click troubleshooting and then make sure fullscan is selected. This will make sure all files are up to date. Technically, the only file needed to play Istaria is jlauncher.exe - the launcher's patching process will download all other files. The install process uses large zip files because downloading each file, one at a time, is slower than downloading large zip files.

Yfelvik
    - Istaria Support

Thread Information