Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where are you?

Default Re: Where are you?

Aye Akrion - as u said so it has been with myself. Unfortunately, my own lack at RPing compounds my issues.

Ive been here since the beginning, I've weathered this back and forth repeatedly. I've been the one drumming RP whenever and however I could for months on end. Then taking a break, returning, and starting again. Then watching the server fall to private RPs, non-existent creatures, and my own inconsistent love with this game doesn't help

Any game that sticks around long enough loses older players to just being bored with the sameol same ol. I want to want to login and "just RP" but I've not had that motivation for a year now. Yea, so the lack of RP i can't find is certainly my fault, I take the responsibility but there isn't uch I can do about that if I really can't stand just logging in sometimes.

Now I also acknowledge I can't come up with RP plots for anything! I can only follow, and at most, help someone else flesh out their own plots with various suggestions. But the core of the plot itself - forget it my brain has never really been able to do that. And that is my flaw across decades of RP and various means of RP (game, tabletop, forums email, etc.). So I know that doesn't help but there it is.

Those that can still push and try I salute you and I keep hoping to join u soon. Course my US evening timezone doesn't meet with some posting here - and thus there will always be issues.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

You don't need to have always a RP plot yourself, Frith-Rae.
    I remember in the past, having met, greeted, welcomed new players, before telling them about RP, and everything went well, and they started RPing fine. Not all of the new players come here for RP, but there are already older players who don't RP in the shard.

When I tell them about RP, I don't speak about rules but about how other RPers use to do in this shard, not trying to enforce something and to put myself as a teacher before scholars. Maybe greeting and welcoming them also increased my chances to get it fine with new players. Whether I do that on channels, on tell or at NT and other areas, I proceed in the same way.

There is more than 5 older RPers who have tried in the past to attract new players into RP. Since the middle of 2009, I believe, I've never quit the game, nor the public channels, and I never stopped greeting and welcoming newcomers, to try and help them enter in RP. Since I met Sereamha, I am sure I never saw her stop RPing and interacting ICly with new RPers.
    Since then I talk and discuss with every player I see, including new ones and those I don't know, and trying to be nice, helpful, friendly, warm and welcoming. That didn't always work, but in most of the cases it did.

When RPers, older ones or new ones, leave the RP and the game, it tends to make the RP flow decrease. Since I'm in this game I think I have seen more old RPers (not including those who can't pay, who haven't free time,...) leave and/or stop RPing, if not totally, in public, than newer RPers. Maybe it is a matter of methods about seeing more or less new players accepting to do like older ones in RP, when older RPers interact with them.

I am not tired yet, to greet and welcome new players (whether they are RPers, non-RPers, new to RP), and to help them entering RP when they want to. All of this is my opinion, as I'm just saying what I think. Like Sereamha and some others, I'll keep doing this, because I don't want to let this shard's RP sink deeper and die.
    Last edited by LungTien Temeraire; November 2nd, 2011 at 10:25 PM.

I'd also like to point out that there was plenty of RP a few years ago, but despite that people still left and RP still withered away. I really don't see why 8 or 10 characters with 10 or 12 storylines consistantly being roleplayed now will make population / roleplay grow when it withered away while 30 or 40 characters with 50 or 60 storylines were being roleplayed.
    Considering I, as well as others, have tried many times over the past 2 years to kickstart more roleplay I'm beginning to doubt that simply bringing consistant RP and new storylines are going to be enough to recover what was lost. Because, again, at one point and time lack of RP wasn't an issue yet here we are regardless.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

I just find it frustrating for people to say they aren't coming back due to lack of rp and they refuse to rp themselves, it just sort of boggles my mind. I do remember seeing Stars and you back, Akrion, but I almost never saw you or Hraefn rp the whole time I was on.

Admittedly, Raptress did rp and was fun when she did so .

Guess just venting about the little and odd crazy circle people get themselves into of not rping enough and then complaining about the lack of rp. @_@ Bah. Last night got some good rping going, fyi, so tis a nice thing to perk ma mood.
    "State your case, but do it well. I do not suffer fools gladly." ~Sereamha Balla-dor

Quote Originally Posted by Sereamha View Post
    I just find it frustrating for people to say they aren't coming back due to lack of rp and they refuse to rp themselves, it just sort of boggles my mind. I do remember seeing Stars and you back, Akrion, but I almost never saw you or Hraefn rp the whole time I was on.
    Hrae has a good number of alts, Hraefn as Hraefn was rarely on but she was often on Vaega or Synth or others. Just becuase we're not RPing in Role Play / Grassy Plains / etc. doesn't mean we weren't out RPing. x3
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Akrion View Post
    Hrae has a good number of alts, Hraefn as Hraefn was rarely on but she was often on Vaega or Synth or others. Just becuase we're not RPing in Role Play / Grassy Plains / etc. doesn't mean we weren't out RPing. x3
    Yesh, I know that.....just getting more of the community involved in RPing is difficult if the rps are always in private XD
    "State your case, but do it well. I do not suffer fools gladly." ~Sereamha Balla-dor

Yesh, I know that.....just getting more of the community involved in RPing is difficult if the rps are always in private XD
    They weren't in private is my point. x3

I musta missed them O_O....all of em. Course, that doesn't surprise me, my luck is terrible.

Maybe 8 or 10 roleplayers with 10 or 12 storylines, if they do RP (open to everyone who would like to join) mostly in public channels and popular areas in main channel, could be more visible, then seen and joined by more people. I do try and help people entering RPs, by telling them what is happening to my characters what they'd run into, and offering them to take part of it if they are interested, and I'm open to different RP styles and manners.

I knew Hraefn has several characters, but I didn't know she had others than Vaega. So, when you don't know to who is a RPing alt belonging... : p. I saw Hraefn RP three times in public since I'm on Istaria. I never saw Vaega being RPed in public, nor Synth, as far as I remember. Don't take me wrong there, I have understood why some prefer to RP in private, with chosen people, and don't want to spread informations about their RP lines and characters in public.

I musta missed them O_O....all of em. Course, that doesn't surprise me, my luck is terrible.
    I have missed all of them as well... is it due to timezones, or was it happening in main channel? Most of the public RPs I see, though, happened and still happens on Role-Play and Grassy Plains, also at NT sometimes.

I like to RP, but I'm still pretty new to Istarian RPing. Plus I've currently got college classes.

My first venture into Istaria fanfiction: link and my other fanfics: link and artwork: link

Quote Originally Posted by flamestar View Post
    I like to RP, but I'm still pretty new to Istarian RPing. Plus I've currently got college classes.
    I hope you will have free times if not hollydays soon. Don't hesitate to poke me, or Sereamha or Ceyra,... in game, when we are on, if you want to RP and/or get some help, we won't bite
    You can also have a look at this RP guide:

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=24334

It you do, be sure to check the latest version of it.

Ishala and I are offline. We are having problems with the net that may go on for a little bit more. Until then, we have become familiar with town access points...

Man I used to do all I could to incite RP. I think Vesper used to confuse every new body that ran though New Tris and stopped long enough to hear her doing something... Vesperish. I used to park my three other alts there too, when I wasn't on as Vesper, trying to engage someone. Anyone.

The chat channels were hard. I tried, but more often than not it petered out. :/

I used to actively recruit, and attempt to recruit, new folks to RP on Order. I posted on Deviantart, my personal blog, etc. I know in 09 I had no less than 6 new folks that I knew to be good roleplayers, at once, that had never considered Istaria before and we had a good time until most of them got frustrated with the game. I think only two of them intermittently sub, now.

In the end, yes, I did leave partially because things got so quiet. my $15/month was just too rich for me to handle for possibly RPing once or twice a month! I did leave for other reasons too, but the RP was the main holding force. The population just wasn't there. I wasn't having fun any more. I tried, heavens knows, in more ways than one, to do something, but blaming me or anyone else for leaving is not fair. Leaving didn't help matters, to be sure, but financial matters were pressing and I did try.

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

Quote Originally Posted by Nambroth View Post
    Man I used to do all I could to incite RP. I think Vesper used to confuse every new body that ran though New Tris and stopped long enough to hear her doing something... Vesperish. I used to park my three other alts there too, when I wasn't on as Vesper, trying to engage someone. Anyone.

The chat channels were hard. I tried, but more often than not it petered out. :/

I used to actively recruit, and attempt to recruit, new folks to RP on Order. I posted on Deviantart, my personal blog, etc. I know in 09 I had no less than 6 new folks that I knew to be good roleplayers, at once, that had never considered Istaria before and we had a good time until most of them got frustrated with the game. I think only two of them intermittently sub, now.

In the end, yes, I did leave partially because things got so quiet. my $15/month was just too rich for me to handle for possibly RPing once or twice a month! I did leave for other reasons too, but the RP was the main holding force. The population just wasn't there. I wasn't having fun any more. I tried, heavens knows, in more ways than one, to do something, but blaming me or anyone else for leaving is not fair. Leaving didn't help matters, to be sure, but financial matters were pressing and I did try.
    Aww, Nam, I am not mad at people for leaving if money was an issue @_@. I just get annoyed when people are perhaps even still online or are paying for subs and say they refuse to rp or are not rping because there is no one rping :B

Aww, Nam, I am not mad at people for leaving if money was an issue @_@. I just get annoyed when people are perhaps even still online or are paying for subs and say they refuse to rp or are not rping because there is no one rping :B
    If I didn't have/want to hold onto Miyuki I'd probably drop my sub in the times I'm taking a break. >.>

Timezones are always an issue in these cases... I am mostly RPing when not busy IRL.

I am sorry to hear that... these days I rarely see more than 3-4 RPers on the main RP channels, with the recent decrease... it also seems the RP event I planned with Runedragoon and Sereamha is reported for an unknown date...

Sorry to hear that, too... when I log, I mostly see Sereamha, Ceyra and Saphire up for RP. I also see Tsargoth, though he logs a bit later, staying in NT and RPing in main channel.

We aren't blaming you, Nambroth, nor anyone with financial or internet issues

Back in the days of Unity shard, we had rp going on nearly every day ( in the German Chat). There were at least 30 people on at prime time.

We had several story lines going on, that never end.
    I remember Marada`s plot with her "pets" or Schnubbel`s "Cat`s Caffee"
    to name only 2 of them.

We used only the German Chat or Cat`s to rp. So all who liked to could join.
    We used no brackets, and noone thought about it twice if someone started to talk about rl things or wanted to buy a scale/weapon.
    But as said- it was our mother tongue only.

Back to Order: Why me and my friends do not rp here, though we are experienced roleplayers online or in rl?
    I can only only speak for a few- but we refuse to rp cause of our poor English. We simply do not meet our own expectations.
    There is a German saying:
    "How you talk, shows alot about who you are"
    And this goes for rp even a bit more (in my eyes).

Those, whose mother tongue is English, might not be able to know how it feels, if you listen to rp done by Awdz, C`gan, Dabogus, Sssilmath, Sephiranoth..You really are impressed, you want to join, but I do not, cause what I could say (I have to answer in appropriate time- no chance to ask LEO^^) would sound like a nosy child , trying to join a discussion of elder.
    Not even talking about typos, bad grammar a.s.o.

I appreciate the tolerance and kindness of all native speakers, who never gave us the feeling of being deficiant.
    Thank you for that, during all those years.

But no serious rp possible for some of us. Would make us feel bad.
    But what joy to listen to good rp
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

I'm not really good at english language myself, as my native language is french. Using a translator like Google's helps me greatly. Still, I'd be open to RP even if ones can write small sentences and have more difficulties than me in english. Even if there is typo, grammar,... you know I wouldn't bite, Lovwyrm

Lov, I'd be more than happy to RP with you anytime. Just drop by the armorshop in a couple weeks and poke around. Don't worry about the language barrier, you can take all the time in the world and spelling isn't an issue. Once you get comfortable, then the whole world is open ^.^
    Ssilmath Torshak, Paladin of the Lost, Shaman of the Damned, Master Armorsmith

My other "crack would be cheaper" hobby
    http://ssilmath.deviantart.com/

And these days, I see roleplayers coming back, new ones joining and the public RP seems to rise up again

Thread Information