Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where are you?

Default Re: Where are you?

I know I should be around more often.

Usually when I come back, the ol' phoenix does try to get some public RP started - things like the Festival of Ash and so on. Most of the time, though, I end up retreating into a corner after my flame has burned out, hoping that I've made enough sparks to set the RP alight. These days, that rarely happens, but I haven't been around much since the Maurger arc.

But you know, it's a hassle for me to come around. I've been Maekrux for such a long time, and there is so much history behind him, that he is often obstinate and difficult to play. He has experienced the greatest joys, and the greatest sorrows, that any sentient creature can experience. This experience is his greatest asset - for he can help any who seek him out, foresee every twist, turn, and mistake made, and generally be prepared for anything - but it is also his greatest flaw, for it makes him fear to do new things and open himself to more pain, more Fadings, more wasted effort to see nothing he passes on survive. Indeed, Maekrux is a historian not only for his knowledge of lore, but for the fact that he inhabits the past. Often when I log on, if Mae doesn't go to New Trismus, he wanders his lair and remembers each memory made in each room, or visits other places that have great meaning to his past.

I know what you might say: play another character. But I have tried. I built up Ausixen, and so on, but none had the same magic that Maekrux has. For me, Maekrux is Istaria. To replace him would be to replace Istaria, which is self-defeating.

Ever since I began to focus on word-smithing as a living, the desire to retreat to Istaria or other worlds for roleplay has been fickle. A part of me certainly loves and enjoys it, but the malaise of working with words takes some of the joy out of it too. But this just compounds the existent problem. Add to that a sense of unwelcome-ness - from no particular individual, just a consequence of my self-esteem and shyness - and you can see why it is a chore to log on, and far more a chore to roleplay.

Mae fell into the phoenix motif because he would often resurge as I gained or lost interest in the proceedings or stories I weaved or was woven into. That certainly hasn't changed. Maekrux will continue to pop up every so once in awhile - haunting Trismus, his lair, or other landmarks of the past - but when and for how long, I cannot say. I might even create another story arc. But at the moment, I just haven't had the will to log on.

My apologies if anyone was looking forward to the Festival of Ash. You are always welcome to hold it without me.
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

I missed the Festival of Ash when you held it before. Is there a script of sorts to be followed that anyone wishing to lead it (as a dragon, of course) can use?

Actual notes:

Prepare hoard, have one ready to trade.

Lunus line along the path to Dralk's cauldron. Helian come through the gate.

Helian walk down to cauldron. When the last helian is through, the lunus follow behind.

Speaker of Flame speaks of the kynship of dragonkynd, directs the dragons to share their hoard, and finally speaks on the Brothers of Flame.

Speaker of Flame blows fire into the cauldron, and directs all others present to do the same. Once complete, give priase to Drulkar and announce the start of the festival.

At this point, foods will be shared and stories will be told. There is also the race between Dralk and Chiconis. Ideally, this will last 2 hours, but who can say. (can tell story of idol of flame here - present challenge to slay Turoth the Fire Golem)

When it winds down, the dragons will be led by the Speaker of Flame to the Dralk communal cave. There he will tell the story of Helian and Lunus at the first Festival of Ash after teh schism.

Speaker will then direct Lunus and Helian pairs to various places they can rest for the evening around the cave.

---

Pretty much, I just fill in the rest from memory.

As it says, there's a short parade in Dralk where helians come through the gate and go to the lava pool under the floating city. Someone is chosen to be Speaker of Flame ahead of time, who gives a short speech about how all dragons are brothers in flame. Then the food and hoard are traded/shared, and there's a short storytelling. After that, there are two races (one foot for hatchlings, one flying for elders) with the first winning some prizes and the latter just winning honor (a race between helian and lunus if possible). After that, the hatchligns are given the challenge to slay the idol of flame and bring back a shard of fire (rp shard, not a real item) and there's a big hunt at the kion volcano. Finally, the Speaker leads them into the large grand hall and there is a final storytelling before everything winds down.

I can post up the text of the Idol of Flame story, and also the story of the First Festival after the Schism, but I'll have to do that a bit later on. As for the speech at the beginning, it's best to leave that to the speaker. Stars was much shorter than Mae's for instance, and is best when personalized to the Speaker.

Still, whoever is Speaker better do a good job! As I found out last time, it completely sets the tone for the rest of the event ;p
    "Resurgam!"

Idol of Flame

Long ago, before the Aegis, when even the oldest elders were still young, there was a hatchling who lived in Dralk. He was proud to be Lunus, for his father was Lunus, and he greatly respected and admired his father.

One day, his father told him there was to be a great festival. The hatchling could hardly wait, for he had never seen a festival before. And when they day came, when the cold air above Dralk set the ash to falling more heavily, he rushed down from his lair and joined his father, waiting at the travel gate. But when the gate opened, he was shocked! Helians came through the gate, and no one stopped them! He looked to his father, but the elder waited as a statue as all of the Helians passed, trading hoard-gifts with the Lunus. He even gave up his favorite orb to a Helian hatchling in exchange for some brass urn! It was an outrage! He was so angry, he did not listen to the Speaker of the Flame. Instead after the festivities began and fire was blown into the cauldron, he stalked back to his lair and sulked until he fell asleep.

Had he stayed with his father and listened to the Speaker of Flame, he would have known why, when he woke the next morning, there were two Helians in his lair.

The hatchling who had taken his orb was there with his mother! The Lunus roared his tiny roar and demanded they leave the lair at once. It roused the mother from her slumber, but also his father, who immediately reprimanded his son. He demanded he take the other hatchling out to see the festival and apologize. The latter he did reluctantly before exiting the lair.

"I didn't mean to cause trouble," said the Helian as they walked. "This is my first Festival. I don't know what to expect."

"This is my third festival!" the Lunus boastfully lied, "And if this is your first festival, you have to take the Trial of Flame!"

"What's that?" The Helian asked. He was curious, but not afraid, for trials are common to we dragons.

"Uhm, right! Out in the fields of char, the brass pygmies worship a great Idol of Flame. You must topple this idol and bring back a shard of flame for the cauldron!"

The Helian nodded, eager to prove though he was even younger than the Lunus. And so he believed the Lunus and left Dralk to find this Idol of Flame. As soon as he was gone, the Lunus laughed and laughed about how he had fooled that silly Helian.

The Lunus began to enjoy the festivities, trying the foods from different places, watching the races, and sharing stories with the elders. One of the elders stood and recanted the story of the first Festival after the Schism, which the others had heard the night before. But it was new to the hatchling. The elder explained that the Helian and Lunus were, still dragons, and still brothers and sisters in flame. For a brief, beautiful time, the Helians and Lunus could put aside their differences and make it through the coldest part of winter as Dragon.

When he heard this, the hatchling felt ashamed. He had hated Helians for so long, he had forgotten that they were Dragon too. Then he began to worry. What if the Helian couldn't beat the Idol of Flame? He had never beaten it before! He quickly rushed off to find the hatchling he had tricked.

He found the Helian, wounded with burns, crying not from the pain, but that he could not best the Idol. The Lunus apologized to him, this time with all his heart, and told him that they would take it down, together. And so with the Helian's spells, and the Lunus' claws, the two toppled the great Idol of Flame and retrieved a shard of fire, which they brought back to the cauldron. The two spent the rest of the festival together, for they both were Dragon.

(The story is then followed by a challenge to the hatchlings present to work together to take down Turoth in the Kion Volcano. As a side note, Mae tells this story a little differently, because he was that Lunus hatchling.)

-----

First Festival after the Schism (aka, the first Reunion)

The year was 371, over two hundred years ago. Malganival Lunus sensed his time was coming, though he was bitter to it for he knew his greatest rival, Helian, was still in good health. Clawing his way from his lair, he looked over the whole of Dralk. The ash fell heavily; some say the great general thought back to a time that was simpler, another festival he must have seen. Go forth, he said to his attendant, fly as fast as the Primewind will carry you. Fly south to that city of scholars and bring them home. We shall hold a Festival of Ash.

The attendant was very surprised, but did as the general asked, flying as hard and as fast as he could through the ash-winds; it is in honor of this valiant flight that we hold a race between Dralk and Chiconis during the festival, but I digress. Within a day’s time, the sky was filled with the scholar-dragons, for there was no travel gate to Chiconis in those days. Helian herself landed before the dragon-general and bowed her head low to him. I thank you for your kind offer, Malganival, but where shall all these dragons rest their wings? she asked.

We shall exchange hoard and we lunus shall open our lairs to our kyn, one by one. The general gave from his hoard his most beautiful trinket and Helian traded it with hers. I shall personally open my lair to you. Let this be our Reunion, even if it is as fleeting as the season, and let this be a part of the Festival of Ash.

Malganival, Helian said with a coy smile, I have not seen this side of you since we were adults. I accept your hospitality and I urge my brethren to do the same. And so, even though Helian and Lunus found themselves at great odds, politically and philosophically, they were able to transcend even the Schism for a moment and be reunited as DRAGON. Though we are different and foreign, we are still kyn, still brothers. Open your heart and your homes in honor of that fact as we spend this night together.

(This officially closes the festivities, but further storytelling or just hanging out can be done at this point if so desired.)

Last edited by Kaerisk; January 8th, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
    "Resurgam!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kaerisk View Post
    I know I should be around more often.

But you know, it's a hassle for me to come around. I've been Maekrux for such a long time, and there is so much history behind him, that he is often obstinate and difficult to play. He has experienced the greatest joys, and the greatest sorrows, that any sentient creature can experience. This experience is his greatest asset - for he can help any who seek him out, foresee every twist, turn, and mistake made, and generally be prepared for anything - but it is also his greatest flaw, for it makes him fear to do new things and open himself to more pain, more Fadings, more wasted effort to see nothing he passes on survive. Indeed, Maekrux is a historian not only for his knowledge of lore, but for the fact that he inhabits the past. Often when I log on, if Mae doesn't go to New Trismus, he wanders his lair and remembers each memory made in each room, or visits other places that have great meaning to his past.

I know what you might say: play another character. But I have tried. I built up Ausixen, and so on, but none had the same magic that Maekrux has. For me, Maekrux is Istaria. To replace him would be to replace Istaria, which is self-defeating.

Ever since I began to focus on word-smithing as a living, the desire to retreat to Istaria or other worlds for roleplay has been fickle. A part of me certainly loves and enjoys it, but the malaise of working with words takes some of the joy out of it too. But this just compounds the existent problem. Add to that a sense of unwelcome-ness - from no particular individual, just a consequence of my self-esteem and shyness - and you can see why it is a chore to log on, and far more a chore to roleplay.
    Quoting because THATS IT!

I havent been able to put that feeling into words - but you did Mae . (Guess thats why you are the word smith LOL).

I feel the exact same way with Frith. But there is no way I could re-roll (even if I had the idea to, I have zippo desire to play an alt). Frith is Istaria and no other wil do; but she struggles with waking much like Mae and it is harder and harder to make those fresh connectinon each time I try. And each time I can't get it to work right my breaks become longer and longer.

Its this warring hate-love relationship going on but I still keep thinking I can do it again...heh.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

I understand how you feel and why, but I still think it is sad... I liked Rping with both of you, and I miss you two

Ive not given up yet my sub is still active (cuz if I decide to lose my lair I really will be done).

So..maybe hopefully one day I can find my way back! Its why I stay active on the forums To stay connected.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    Ive not given up yet my sub is still active (cuz if I decide to lose my lair I really will be done).
    Did you move away from the lair in Chiconis, then? 'Cause it's unoccupied and reading that I am a little confused.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Are you on Order or Chaos?

Cuz on Order, no - Im still subbed and so my lair behind the Shrine should still be there and occupied.

If its not well I need to login and check and beat Amon about the head with a nerf-bat .
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    Are you on Order or Chaos?

Cuz on Order, no - Im still subbed and so my lair behind the Shrine should still be there and occupied.

If its not well I need to login and check and beat Amon about the head with a nerf-bat ;).
    I'm on Order. You do need to check your lair.

Priceless
    For Sale
    Owner: -Helik-
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    I'm on Order. You do need to check your lair.

Priceless
    For Sale
    Owner: -Helik-
    Yeah the lair looks to have lost ownership for the past couple weeks.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

*sigh* I saw what happened, Look like thats' it then.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Looks like there won't be festival of ashes this year...

Meep meep

I'm with Maekrux. It's hard to play Chioxin too for that matter. It has been the main reason it has been EXTREMELY difficult to return to Istaria the few times I have tried. When I lost my RP circles, I lost desire to be here, and I've yet to find those circles again.

I'm a fickle RP'er. I do not host stories, but I like to see what stories I can fit into and provide something for. I love the light hearted and cute stuff, and certainly some deeper meaningful story stuff. What I see though goes into the extremes of both sides. There are things so cuddly and cute, I shy away. There are things so dismal and depressing, I have no interest. There are also things that make me go "I don't know how to interact with that, is that even part of the lore?" and suddenly feel less interested. I'm no lore master, I'm not the type to "Stick strictly to the lore," but when people start opening rifts and calling upon the awesome power of gods that do not exist... Or tell me their origins come from the lands of Azeroth and they were somehow transplanted here... [No offense to those types, but, I just don't know how to work with that.]

I lurk for now, I'll insert myself where I feel Chioxin fits in properly, where debates of interest happen to crop up. For instance, his desire to wear "clothing" like items and being fitted in such a way that he could be ridden. Even love for bipeds and all their wonders, compared to [at the time] most dragons, as I've heard it has changed a lot now. These were often fantastic points of contention with other dragons to RP about for me. Something I miss though, is interaction with Bipeds. So far in my wanderings, I see so many dragons, and so few two legged ones.

For now, I wander and bump into random public RP, which is both fantastic and bad.
    Last edited by Chioxin; January 27th, 2012 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chioxin View Post
    I'm with Maekrux. It's hard to play Chioxin too for that matter. It has been the main reason it has been EXTREMELY difficult to return to Istaria the few times I have tried. When I lost my RP circles, I lost desire to be here, and I've yet to find those circles again.
    I understand it is difficult when you see friends go, and miss them. But it doesn't mean you can't make new friends and that you can't have as good RPs as you had before.

I'm a fickle RP'er. I do not host stories, but I like to see what stories I can fit into and provide something for. I love the light hearted and cute stuff, and certainly some deeper meaningful story stuff. What I see though goes into the extremes of both sides. There are things so cuddly and cute, I shy away. There are things so dismal and depressing, I have no interest. There are also things that make me go "I don't know how to interact with that, is that even part of the lore?" and suddenly feel less interested. I'm no lore master, I'm not the type to "Stick strictly to the lore," but when people start opening rifts and calling upon the awesome power of gods that do not exist... Or tell me their origins come from the lands of Azeroth and they were somehow transplanted here... [No offense to those types, but, I just don't know how to work with that.]
    I don't see only dark, depressive or bunny, cute things when I see public RPs in game, but mostly between these two I have rarely seen characters with so much power, since I started RPing.

Lore is not that complete in this game, and I have seen many RPers including older/experimented ones go more or less out of its lines. As it is not much detailed, I saw people tending to have their personal points of view about lore and what is realistic in Istaria, and I understand it as long as people don't try and deny others the right to get a bit out of it while they are doing the same themselves, as long as it isn't about immortal gods or space giant winged hamsters,...

I lurk for now, I'll insert myself where I feel Chioxin fits in properly, where debates of interest happen to crop up. For instance, his desire to wear "clothing" like items and being fitted in such a way that he could be ridden. Even love for bipeds and all their wonders, compared to [at the time] most dragons, as I've heard it has changed a lot now. These were often fantastic points of contention with other dragons to RP about for me. Something I miss though, is interaction with Bipeds. So far in my wanderings, I see so many dragons, and so few two legged ones.
    Most dragons I see these days in public RP aren't that bad towards bipeds, and I see some bipeds joining RP in public too. Personally my 2 dragon characters wouldn't tear yours into pieces if he tells them he lets a biped ride him, at most they would be surprised and confused.

For now, I wander and bump into random public RP, which is both fantastic and bad.
    What do you mean by "bad"?

Well, like I said, I'm trying to find those circles again =) So I'm certainly not closed to the idea! Just breaking into them is a bit of a challenge, for me. I've only returned for 2 days as of writing this. I need time, I'm reading a lot of what's going on and trying to get cozy again. I'm digging around for "public" spaces too, not just chat channels.

I didn't mean to sound like I was totally shutting out, sorry.

As for bad, I'm hitting a lot of net speak in public, I guess. Now I feel like an elitist =( I'm usually quite tolerant, but we all have our limits. Remember though, I said fantastic too! Last night was certainly a touch entertaining in several places.

Quote Originally Posted by LungTien Temeraire View Post
    What do you mean by "bad"?
    He probably means...New Trismus. *shudder* If I elaborate on what that means, this thread will derail.

I might have a friend trying Istaria soon. I am going to guide them through skipping NT using trophies, obscure quests, and the lower-level stuff on Lesser Aradoth.

Well, like I said, I'm trying to find those circles again =) So I'm certainly not closed to the idea! Just breaking into them is a bit of a challenge, for me. I've only returned for 2 days as of writing this. I need time, I'm reading a lot of what's going on and trying to get cozy again. I'm digging around for "public" spaces too, not just chat channels.

I didn't mean to sound like I was totally shutting out, sorry.

As for bad, I'm hitting a lot of net speak in public, I guess. Now I feel like an elitist =( I'm usually quite tolerant, but we all have our limits. Remember though, I said fantastic too! Last night was certainly a touch entertaining in several places.
    Don't worry, you can freely enter RPs in public. You should not feel difficulty to start Rping with most of the RPers I know, and don't hesitate to poke me. If you look for IC challenge, it will be more with mostly private RPers. And don't worry, I didn't say nor think you were shutting out

You didn't sound elitist, for me, and I'm glad you enjoyed last night of RP

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    He probably means...New Trismus. *shudder* If I elaborate on what that means, this thread will derail.

I might have a friend trying Istaria soon. I am going to guide them through skipping NT using trophies, obscure quests, and the lower-level stuff on Lesser Aradoth.
    Most of the RP I have seen on New Trismus since months and months has been rather good. I saw and RPed with talented RPers, in this place, whether they were new RPers or experienced ones. But this is, I'll say it again, a matter of tastes and opinions. We can choose to not interact or join this place for RP if we want, but this doesn't mean we can't show tolerance towards other opinions and preferences.

Outside of IC and RP, New Trismus is the place when new and returning players use to gather, and there are sometimes higher-levelled players to welcome them (back), greet them, and advice/help them with the game as they are up to, or just talk with them. Whether they do -or will- RP or not.

I remember, myself, when I started playing, having met a nice experienced player called Reisende at New Trismus, and she helped me to understand the game, to explore the surroundings,... this is one of the best memories I have kept from my first days on Istaria. Since then, I have met and befriended a good amount of new/returning/experienced players at New Trismus.

Ya, New Trismus is where I'm hanging out physically at the moment. It's the only place where I can actually find people running around. Other places appear extremely dead. Note, by other places, I've only really gone to Kion, Parsinia, and I flew over to Dryart and Bristugo.... because I couldn't figure out how to use the portals. I didn't think New Trismus was all that bad though. It's ok so far. I've had a few wander past and stop to interact. One threatened me with a sword! Which was hilarious. Another sat and told me about their dwarven heritage. Then there was this "Half dragon" that dumped all sorts of shiny things on me!!!

Where do people congregate? Places that are biped friendly prefered.

Outside of public RP channels, New Trismus is a good place to meet bipeds without them fearing to be swallowed by dragons.

Thread Information