Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In Skyrim

Default In Skyrim

I am sure this is true for many people, but for the next little while my log on times for Istaria will be a little less....due to the epic game known as Skyrim. Maybe you have heard of it? XD
    "State your case, but do it well. I do not suffer fools gladly." ~Sereamha Balla-dor

Default Re: In Skyrim

11:53- Boyfriend: I'm going to bed
    11:53- Me: Okay. I'll be in in a bit
    3:02- *boyfriend shuffles in* Boyfriend: It's three in the morning. What the heck are you doing? Come to bed.
    3:03- Me: Uhh.... I'm.... catching butterflies to make potions. Obviously.
    3:03- Boyfriend: ...

I wish you good time on Skyrim, but also hope to see you from times to times on Istaria *winghugs

hahaha Shian

If you meet Flame there say hello from his wife..
    I mean-I see him sitting here, but....

have fun all
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

So far (10 hours in) having a blast myself. Run into a few bugs that are annoying, but not insurmountable.

The vendors sometimes like to close their menu and you have to re-greet them.

The NPCs don't appear to ever go to bed (I've seen the entire town walking around at midnight) or go to bed at odd hours (I've run into the other Companions going to bed at 5am when I am getting up).

NPC dialog in the town is very repetitive. But, its been that way for every Elder Scrolls game unfortunately.

All in all though its a great game. So far I'd say its definitely better than Oblivion.

Btw, moved this thread from the Order forum to Off-Topic.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Eh - gameplay was fun.

But unfortunately, Bethseba dropped the ball on importing this title to PC and the controls and mouse issues are overwhelming for thousands of players (and for me for about a day until I fixed it).

The controls are still frustrating - and you cant remap some of the essential ones (causing left-handed people like me to constantly have to move their hand from mouse to keyboard and back...highly annoying) - and half-the-windows don't respond to the ones that ARE remapped..

Just...things that should be unacceptable with a title like this. Soured my huge excitement for this game. Until I fixed it I actuallyy was afraid it was unplayable for me...:/
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

huh, i haven't run into any of that. the key commands for windows work great. once i figured out how to use the favorites and 1-8 keys its been pretty fluid.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I've been absolutely loving Skyrim. The UI could use some more work for the PC version, but it's just a minor annoyance to me. The game definitely feels like a Bethesda game such as the over-reacting ragdolls (I personally love them xD) shooting off into the distance. I've already done some .ini tweeking to push the graphics beyond what's normall obtainable. It looks great though I've been casually trying to mod it darker to be much more like running around at night in Morrowind (that is, you hardly see anything!).

I'm somewhat disappointed to see the same icon system from Oblivion return but not really surprised due to the game's much more mainstream nature than Morrowind. Personally I much preferred to be given descriptions on how to find a location via journal and try to find my way there rather than just be given a 'here it is!' arrow or have a bunch of icons saying 'There's something over here!' on my compass. I'll probably tweek off the compass pointers and leave the map pointers on just to make me have to explore a bit more to find locations of interest.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

I'm extremely impressed.
    I'm running on a decent computer that is prone to restarts with every other game. Nothing so far for this one. No crashes, major glitches, restarts, freezes or any of the like. It's like magic.
    Quite a far cry from the horror of the original release of FO3 and DAO from what I hear.

I'm about 40-something hours in. Grinding as fast as I can before paper season hits again

In-jokes:
    Random guards will say, "Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll?"

Glitches I've found:
    One hunter will take my items but not give me any money.

Minor irritations because I'm spoiled and feel they should be included in every single game:
    Why no autorun Skyrim? FO3 has it. Gimmie! Gimmie now!
    Why are you not tab friendly?

grr, I dont want to kill you mister dragon at west tower * sneaks away as the dragon slaughters the NPC guards*

yes same for me ill be playing some skyrim also, this will be my first elder scroll game going to play from start to finish. got the last two but was younger and was just overwhelmed by their huge open worlds and so many things to do

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Why no autorun Skyrim? FO3 has it. Gimmie! Gimmie now!
    Isn't there? Is that not what the C key does?

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    Isn't there? Is that not what the C key does?
    Err.... why yes. Yes it is -_- Thank you!

As Amon pointed out in the other thread, Archery+sneak just makes the game TONS easier. I've even abandoned the idea of leveling my one handed because my bow does so much more damage even at point blank. I've had to sit next to skeletons and just them them wail on me because my armor use has gotten so low.

Hunting... has it's limits. I've noticed creatures KNOW when a weapon is trained on them regardless of whether you are hidden or not. Makes hunting quite the challenge when you can't hide from animals. Such a strange mechanic. I'm really happy about having water currents. Can't remember a game that has this.

Today my kajit adventurer returned from a forsworn outpost. I fast traveled to a smaller city because all the larger ones were out of money. Can't wait to get that merchant increase at the top of the speech tree. Why do they put it so high?
    Anyway, I load into the village and start for the inn for his meager coin when I hear a "rrroooooaaarrr!"
    I drop into a crouch while my character proceeds to empty his bowels. Spinning around, I'm chanting at the screen: "Bear.. Bear... Bear.... Troll? Oh God it's a troll isn't it?"
    That's when the guards and villagers start screaming. I notice the guards have their bows out.
    "ROOAAARRRRR!"
    'Lovely. What could be worse than troll?' I think sarcastically to myself as I know full well what is hovering above me.
    Thankfully I'm smart enough to just move as quick as I can to try and dodge the flames shooting out of the green dragon above.
    Archery is great for every day use, but against a dragon, it's just hard. What's worse is, the dragon got bored and flew off after I got it down to half health.
    So frustrating, these dragons.

One thing I think they should just drop already in ES games, is the "vendor only has limited money" crap.

All that does, is cause players to have to go to 3, 5, 10+ different towns, cities, and vendors just to unload their crap and/or stuff their containers at their home full of junk waiting to sell.

Needless hassle, IMO. I had the same complaint about Oblivion, but thankfully in Oblivion there are a few NPCs that have large quantities of gold, but still...

Glitches I've found:
    One hunter will take my items but not give me any money.
    You mean, wandering NPCs that you can sell stuff too?

Are you sure he actually had money for the transaction? Most of those NPCs have <50 gold and run out of money fast.

A heads up on a pretty 'good' bug related to a quest that can sting quite a bit if you don't realize it before you no longer have a save far back enough to fall back on (there's another notable bug that I've seen others talking about on various forums as well).

There's not really any way I can desribe the point where the bug occurs without spoiling anything, but at the very least I can let you know that the quest is called The Forsworn Conspiracy which you can begin in one of the major cities. I wouldn't do this quest until it's patched. You can do a bit of it before the bug is encountered, but if you do definitely make sure you have a save to revert to.

I'll describe the bug here with as little in the way of spoilers as possible, but I can't do it completely spoiler-less so skip the following if you don't want to hear any more of the quest.

=== Minor spoilers ===
    The bug happens when, durring a part of the quest, all your items are removed from your inventory. When you get them back any quest items (e.g. the items that pop a message saying "You can't drop quest items" when you try dropping them or placing them in a container) won't be returned, presumably becoming permanently lost. This essentially means that any quest that you have a special item for will break. I luckily stagger my saves so I was able to revert back far enough to avoid this. Also, I have no idea if this bug is isolated to this quest or not so be wary of any situation where all of your items are removed.

The other bug I've heard some people talking about is that when you complete the quest it seems like you may wind up with a bounty that you, for some reason, can't pay off by any means.
    =================

Also, thanks for unlocking the thread.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Oh man. I did that quest last night. I had a ton of quest items that I have no idea what they were for: a named bow, a stave for some reason, some fine cut void salts, someone's ashes. Quest items I had picked up but I have no idea where the quest for the items are. Wonder where my last save is. Thanks for letting me know.

My problem with that quest was the dragon that attacked the minute I gave my stuff up.

can my horse die? im getting annoyed when i hop off to fight baddies and she always charges and them and attacks i don't want my horse to do that and die!

I've been waiting for the disk to get shipped to me in the mail... you have no idea how hard it is to have to plug my ears and go "LAALALALALALALA!" so I don't hear spoilers with everyone talking about this game.

... But so far someone managed to tell me that he has a wife and werewolves are out there... which only makes me check the mailbox more frequently.
    Azulyte is a Dragon's best friend. Azulars on the other hand, are another matter entirely...

*whispers* pre orders from amazon on most games get free release day delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Hasia View Post
    can my horse die? im getting annoyed when i hop off to fight baddies and she always charges and them and attacks i don't want my horse to do that and die!
    Yes they can die. If your horse is attacking then maybe you have one of the quested horses? The special quested horse has more endurance and health than a normal horse and is very difficult to kill.

As far as spoilers go, you may be better off hearing spoilers because of some of the issues brought up in these threads Like going for thirty levels before you find out stamina=carrying capacity.

Yea there aren't any real game-questy spoilers around here other than the one akrion marked off there (btw, thanks for that - I will leave that quest for later LOL).

But yes there is information you might find extremely helpful for when you start playing that is NOT includedin the game - or is in the manual that you may or may not read...LOL (teases Shian) LOL
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Thread Information