Thread: How much time do I need?

Brother Niall

Default How much time do I need?

Dear memebers of this forum!

I started my trial of Horizons today, and liked the first hours quite a bit.

However, before I commit myself, I'd like to know something.

Back in 2000 I spent every free minute on playing Ultima Online and loved it - for a while.

Now I have much more of a private life and of a job, and can't devote nearly so much on playing online. So - is Horizons still the game for me?

I think I might get in a couple of hours every other day and a bit more on weekends.

Is that enough or should I look for something else to spend my time?

Default Re: How much time do I need?

One of the things I love about HZ are that I can log off anytime I want w/o fear of offending anyone, its most definately not like EQ or UO where you have to donate massive amounts of contiguous time to progress. It imo is one of those that truly lets you advance at your own pace.
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Others mightdisagree, but I think HZis more attuned for that kind of playstyle then most MMORPGs. You can pretty much pick up where you left off for each session. If you can't find a group everyone can solo. If you die, your death points will be gone by the next time you log on.

I think the trickiest part is the same problem you'll have with any other MMORPG. You'll want to make friends with people who play similar hours.

It'll take awhile to get to high levels, but if that doesn't bother you I don't see any reason you couldn't do it.

i am playing until World of warcraft releases, if that is all you plan to do, it might be worth the time [:S]

Food is food, just give us something to chew on that removes DP's

You will always feel like you are advancing your toon when playing Horizons, not just by levelling up, but by being a part of what is undeniably an exceptional community [:)]

Some people have a lot of time to devote to online games, others are in the same position as yourself where time is limited. You would be making a reasonable choice to stick with Horizons. To be totally honest you need to be able to look beyond some troubled times at present, however overall I believe that you will be able to appreciate and enjoy the hour or so you can play every few days.

Overall I think you'll get a good run for your money, you'll be able to feel like you're contributing something to the community, and you will feel rewarded for the time you do spend in-game ! Always going forward, and never backwards with toon development and community interaction, I hope you will be satisfied with your decision to try Horizons [:)]

I am in exactly the situation you describe. I only play for a couple of hours each session adn I do not play every day. I started playing last December when the game went retail. I am currently a level 40 Paladin and a level 70 Carpenter, with a few lower level schools thrown in.

I do not feel lost because of my limited playing time. I am in a great guild of like minded people, some of which have much more play time than I do. I contribute where I can and participate in as many community projects as I can.

I think you will be fine and enjoy the time you have to play.
    Sammo - Order Shard
    Maelstrom Guild
    Sslik Paladin/Carpenter
    Plot owner in South March

Well, if you loved it in the first few hours that you played. Then you have only really scratched the surface of hz's potential.

I would strongly recommend to further your subscription, but also consider the rough times in which hz is going through now.

Choose wisely. Hopefully I'll see you roaming around sometime (if you're on Order shard).
    Truth is absolution - Killswitch Engage
    Gusi: 100 lvls of ELAR deleted and crafting forte.
    Aquzon: 0/100 Draconic Crafter achieved in under 100 hours gameplay.
    Yuthakon: 31 Berserker and aspiring Constructor.
    Proud member of Strata on Order Realm

Most likely in a crafting field somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor
    One of the things I love about HZ are that I can log off anytime I want w/o fear of offending anyone, its most definately not like EQ or UO where you have to donate massive amounts of contiguous time to progress. It imo is one of those that truly lets you advance at your own pace.
    I dont know about EQ but as far as uo, you didnt haev to donate massive amounts of time to progress or be "sucessful"

As for the topic at hand, if you can get an hour or so in each night, i think that is more than enough to have fun playing and progress.

Proud and loyal members of Battalion
    Xarii Ani - Dryad - Chaos shard
    Quazi Ani - Dragon - Chaos shard

One of the reasons it is possible to play enjoyably on a limited basis is that both crafting and adventuring work well on any schedule. And adventuring works well both solo and grouped, adding to the flexibility.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Horizons allows even people with very limited time to log in and do something even in half hour that will let them feel like they advanced in the day.

Compared with the previous game I played (a MUD but was really wonderful and very difficult (at least 5 times more than Horizons) with exceedingly forced grouping and death exp loss up to 25% of a 4-5 million exp of you current level) I always have been to enter, do stuff, go afk while being called away, talk, sell, roleplay. All of this with no forced or established order (yes, now you know my life is a mess and I like it [H]).

What I think shows good what you can do in Horizons is that you can even roleplay a lot, that is you are able to find people who is not bent in "achieving levelling grinding 24/7" but have time to have fun (some marry, have parties...). And even doing that you can still level up at your pace. Took me 9 months of time to level up to 100 (time constraints and the fact that I don't care levelling up - I care to live in the game and dothe stuff I want period) while others got it in one.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

I'll join in the chorus. Yes, you can play limited hours and still accomplish stuff. I seldom have a day when I don't build something or ding a level (less of those lately :) ) or have a great RP scene, even if I only show up for an hour or two. (Those who know me and my constant presence in game, stop laughing, please).

On the other hand ... you may not need to play 24/7 but you might want to! There is always something to do, it seems. Something happening to make you want to be in game. Recently it was the merge and plot auctions. Right now it's the pending vault shrink, making me push to construct things while I can still do it without having to port to the site every time I have a pack full of units. But there's enough constuction out there for a lifetime, there are monsters to fight for a break from crafting, there are new threats emerging, new lands to explore, dragons to help grow up, and several good RP groups if you just want to sit down and play out scenes.

OK, so I'm addicted to HZ, but it has such a great community of fine people that I don't mind admitting it. Welcome to Istaria. I hope you stick with it after the trial.

-Levity Merrel, Crai Aisling, Sans AoP in Aiya-on-Pad now *complete* until I add more
    88 Blacksmith/63 Fitter/45 Mason/70 Reaver

PS I will point out that those are my levels despite near constant play since the game was released last Dec. 9. I just don't grind out the xp, there's too much useful/fun to do that doesn't give xp.

Simple answer:

Yes.

Rocinante
    Fury of Feladan

Thread Information