Thread: Spell animation swaps

Default Spell animation swaps

Not sure where to put this, but since it's dragon related I'll just drop it here...

Ever since release back in... longago I found the spell animations for dragons one of the most embarassing things in gaming history, and I recently saw a topic concerning spell animation swaps for dragons, mostly buffs though.

So now I wonder if one could do that for some of the damage spells too, mostly the ones that are just shown as swirling black/red dots. Maybe replace blast and tempest with slightly altered versions of dark cyclone? Rescaled and a change in opacy perhaps, or the swirling white cloud some ice spells have? Same would go for gust and barrage... Have to think of other fitting swaps still.

Default Re: Spell animation swaps

what you saw was most likely a topic I raised a while (long time) ago, and I have dropped this project, why?

well to keep it simple, there aren't enough effects that would fit with the spells without making them look too OP.

scale em down? sorry, no can do on my side, but perhaps a dev will look in this topic, and maybe our spellies will get some love aswell *chuckles*

I could probably figure out how to alter the textures, but in all likelihood what that would achieve would be to alter the biped spell that I'm using the animation from. To use your example of Dark Cyclone: I can apply the DC effect to a dragon spell, but if I alter it in any manner the real DC will most likely appear that way too.

The ability to alter the models that spells use is likely beyond the abilities of a player.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    The ability to alter the models that spells use is likely beyond the abilities of a player.
    That is pretty much correct. You can look at the def files for the spells to see what textures they are using and do some renaming of files but I'm going to say that you could end up with some very unexpected results. You have to go deeper than just the texture files and into the shader system, the .sha files. The effects system is kind of nuts. Quite powerful but very quirky. Even using the effects builder in the dev tools you often end up scratching your head thinking, "WTF? Why did it do THAT?!!"

Ah, too bad. I was hoping for some sort of text file that defines which animation to use for a spell, at what scale, projectile speed if aplicable etc... Ah well, will see what I can do with simple swaps.

Thanks though

Alright, after some hours of digging through all the files (there seem to be tons of unused ones, countless versions of the aparently same spells and whatnot...) I finally found out which files are for which spells... Problem is just that I don't know all the biped spells there are and so I'm still looking for fitting replacements for...

Unrelenting/Grazing winds
    Snarl
    AoE resistance buffs
    True Grit and Promotes
    Maybe Improved Prime Bolt, even though I like the original one.

So whoever has suggestions, fire away.

And here's a screen of my current Blast/Barrage/Tempest/Gust. A little over the top perhaps but at least it matches the spell names and descriptions closer than swirly blue dots of fail. XD
    Attached Images Attached Images

Order/Chaos, Harro and Pleasant Canyon respectively

Quote Originally Posted by Morphaz Bladewing View Post
    Alright, after some hours of digging through all the files (there seem to be tons of unused ones, countless versions of the aparently same spells and whatnot...) I finally found out which files are for which spells... Problem is just that I don't know all the biped spells there are and so I'm still looking for fitting replacements for...

Unrelenting/Grazing winds
    Snarl
    AoE resistance buffs
    True Grit and Promotes
    Maybe Improved Prime Bolt, even though I like the original one.

So whoever has suggestions, fire away.

And here's a screen of my current Blast/Barrage/Tempest/Gust. A little over the top perhaps but at least it matches the spell names and descriptions closer than swirly blue dots of fail. XD
    ...I think I'd let you nom me as much as you wanted if you told me how to do that tempest/blast/barrage/gust modding thing. ._. Or yours in a zipped folder or anything. XD
    On another note, hell this looks -amazing-, and i agree 100% with you spells should use some work to get rid of the DOOOTS. X3

Quote Originally Posted by Ceyra View Post
    ...I think I'd let you nom me as much as you wanted if you told me how to do that tempest/blast/barrage/gust modding thing. ._. Or yours in a zipped folder or anything. XD
    On another note, hell this looks -amazing-, and i agree 100% with you spells should use some work to get rid of the DOOOTS. X3
    Mind Shareing this as a mod? THAT IS if the devs arent too lazy XD

Thread Information