Thread: "You need to be closer."

Default "You need to be closer."

Back in September '11, I posted in one of the previous Game Bugs threads:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    I'm getting spammed with "You need to be closer." every time I teleport on Order.
    Well, it's still occurring. A friend brought up that they were experiencing it as well, so this prompted myself, the friend, and another to do some research on the issue tonight. While there are some very strange inconsistencies that we cannot explain, we did find some information that will hopefully be of some use tracking down the issue:

1. Not all characters experience the bug. There do not appear to be any consistencies that tell why one is affected and another is not.
    2. If a character experiences the bug, then the messages will trigger in the same places as they trigger for other characters who experience the bug.
    -- These trigger points appear to be the trigger points for tutorial messages. A character can get both the "You need to be closer." message and a tutorial window pop-up.
    3. Some characters get more messages than others when they hit the trigger. One of my alts only gets one "You need to be closer." message per trigger. My main character gets spammed with six "You need to be closer." messages per trigger.

In this instance (the port-in pad of New Trismus), it would appear that the trigger has something to do with "DistanceID 10001". This matches "iitemid: 10001" in the net log in the "cs-quest-trigger-loc" message, which is immediately followed by the six instances of "You need to be closer." The seqIDs in the debug log match up for the seqIDs in the net log for these messages. Here are the excerpts from my main character's debug and net logs:

Quote Originally Posted by Debug Log
    DEBUG TEntityManager::UpdateEntRadiusMonitor Moving into range (10.00) of DistanceID 10001
    DEBUG TEntityInstance::LoadEntInst 212388 (Leafy Tree)
    STAT dprintf [[01/10/12 21:59:08] ] 20.80 FPS
    DEBUG TNetLayer::LogMessage Received net message sc-position-lite (seqID 4468) ==
    DEBUG TNetLayer::LogMessage Received net message sc-communication (seqID 4469) ==
    DEBUG TNetLayer::LogMessage Received net message sc-communication (seqID 4470) ==
    DEBUG TNetLayer::LogMessage Received net message sc-communication (seqID 4471) ==
    DEBUG TNetLayer::LogMessage Received net message sc-communication (seqID 4472) ==
    DEBUG TNetLayer::LogMessage Received net message sc-communication (seqID 4473) ==
    DEBUG TNetLayer::LogMessage Received net message sc-communication (seqID 4474) ==
    Quote Originally Posted by Net Log
    ===== Sending message reliable unordered at Tue Jan 10 21:59:07.953 ============================
    Message type: cs-quest-trigger-loc

iitemid: 10001

===== End of sent message ================================

----- Received message from server at Tue Jan 10 21:59:08.359 (Handled in 0.000 seconds)---------------------
    seqID: 4469
    Message type: sc-communication

ichannel: 10
    ioriginid: 11383885
    smessage: You need to be closer.

----- End of received message ----------------------------------

----- Received message from server at Tue Jan 10 21:59:08.437 (Handled in 0.000 seconds)---------------------
    seqID: 4470

----- Received message from server at Tue Jan 10 21:59:08.437 (Handled in 0.000 seconds)---------------------
    seqID: 4471

seqID: 4472

seqID: 4473

seqID: 4474

DistanceID 10001 is only one of the apparent triggers. There are multiple places, each having a different DistanceID. These are the ones seen so far:
    1. DistanceID 10001: 45899/14780; centered over the New Trismus port-in pad. A tutorial window pops up here for new characters.
    2. DistanceID 10002: 45975/14737; in front of the merchants. A tutorial window pops up here for new characters.
    3. DistanceID 10003: 45958/14746; in the road as you enter the town from the direction of the port-in pad. Nearish to the merchant stall. Also triggers in front of the doorway to the vault for some reason (46006/14718) A tutorial window does not pop up here (in either case) for new characters.

(Most credit goes to Akrion, for thinking of looking through the debug logs and everything, as well as spearheading the effort.)
    Last edited by Raptress; January 11th, 2012 at 06:17 AM.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Default Re: "You need to be closer."

If it's ever understood why different characters get sent a seemingly unpredictable number of the same "You need to be closer." message (assuming they even recieve one) I would love to hear what the cause was. I've been thinking about it the past couple days and can't for the life of me even come up with a rough theory for the cause.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Default Re: "You need to be closer."

Buh. Looks like that's a debugging message (or someone thought the feedback would be helpful) for the quest system. You'll get one of those for each active quest step that has a location trigger.

Removed the message. The change was committed, though it might be awhile before the simulation updates make their way to live.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Thread Information