Thread: Craft Skill link between Scholar and Outfitter broken

Default Craft Skill link between Scholar and Outfitter broken

I just recently realized that the 3 base craft schools: Blacksmith, Scholar, and Outfitter no longer support eachother like they seemed to be intitially designed to do. I think it was broken from the Scholar revamp.

Originally they were linked as such:
    Blacksmith -> shared Stoneworking with -> Scholar
    Scholar -> shared Clothworking with -> Outfitter
    Outfitter -> shared Metalworking with -> Blacksmith

The three schools had one skill in common with one another that could be used to support leveling the others, but it seems that Scholar lost clothworking thus severing the link between Scholar and Outfitter and ultimately making Blacksmith the only true base class currently.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Default Re: Craft Skill link between Scholar and Outfitter broken

While they did nicely share skills, that was not what made them base classes. The prestige crafting classes required skill levels gained through only the base classes.

Clothworking was removed from scholar when scrolls were added.

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    While they did nicely share skills, that was not what made them base classes. The prestige crafting classes required skill levels gained through only the base classes.
    On the surface those statements sound correct, Awdz, but there is something that overturns their logic: Jeweler. Jeweler is not considered a base school, yet it does not have any prerequisites. Akrion is making an interesting observation in any case.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    On the surface those statements sound correct, Awdz, but there is something that overturns their logic: Jeweler. Jeweler is not considered a base school, yet it does not have any prerequisites. Akrion is making an interesting observation in any case.
    Jeweler is not considered a prestige school. Base means you can earn skills with it required by a prestige school. Not that it matters with regard to the previously tidily shared skills of the three primary base classes.

When the decision was made to bring in scrolls, they knew they would be changing the tidy set up because adding scrolls to one class without removing some skills would be too unbalancing. Do you have a tidy alternative to offer now?

When you're considering crafts and what helps with what, the way to think of it is this:

Blacksmithing is the root of all schools. It lets you make most tools and it has skills to get you started in everything else (nearly, see below).

Once you have Blacksmithing up to 100, you have access to most tools (you can make these yourself), and you have access to Stone/Gems, Wood and Metal.

Using that, you can level...

*Scholar for Essence Harvesting/Shaping using stone tools (unless they changed this)
    *Outfitter for Leather/Cloth (using Metal Bars)
    *Jeweler (Metal Bars)
    *Weaponsmithing/Armorsmithing (Metal Bars)
    *Tinkerer (Stone Tools, I think metal ones work too now that alloys are gone)
    *Alchemist (Do Scholar First, use Essence Orbs)
    *Fletcher (Wood)

And of course, with Blacksmithing, you can do Mining and Gathering via Stone/Ore and Wood respectively.

This pretty much covers the whole list. Alchemy, Leatherworking, and Tailoring are about the only 3 things you cannot level using Blacksmithing, and those only require 1-2 other schools done first and even then, getting from 1-60+ using T5 materials takes less than an hour.

The problem is that it's still implied that the 3 classes, Blacksmith, Scholar, and Outfitter are equally beneficial when that is no longer the case. The reason why I brought this up is because a new player figured starting as Scholar would work out just as well, which I and a few other people also thought until I looked at the skills and realized that this is not the case and that Blacksmith should be the only school any biped starts with now.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Thread Information